PDA

View Full Version : Do carseats have to be installed next to the window on airplanes?

HIU8
06-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought I read that somewhere. What happens if you have 2 DC and want to bring both their carseats for use on the plane, and one is RF and one FF? DS is FF in a Ma;rathon, DD is RF in a Safeseat.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Some airlines will let you put one at the window and one in the middle and you sit on the aisle seat. Some airlines will force you to put them in two rows, both at the window.

You will not be allowed to sit between them. Although if you can show that the FF seat does not block your way to the aisle, they may agree. It depends on how the feel about following the rule to the letter.

HIU8
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
How do you handle things if only one parent flies with both children? I'm going to FL in August by myself with DS and DD. I wanted DS to also be in his carseat (he is 3.5). Can a FF Marathon and a RF Safeseat fit next to each other?

mom2binsd
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I had to fly with my two kids by myself...DD was RF in her MA in the window and DS was in his infant carrier and I was on the aisle...they didn't give me any grief but then again DS was also on oxygen and they didn't want him on the aisle getting bumped around (they did question me installing DD rearfacing at first...I think the look I gave her...and then she realized I had a newborn on O2 and was by myself and she couldn't have been more helpful!

I'd say in your situation maybe see if you can't put the RF by the window and you in the middle...get the FF seat installed and show them it won't block the way and explain you need to be able to reach the younger one...surely they won't want the 3.5 year old taking care of the baby and they will not separate children that young from their parents.

brianaw
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
The rule is one carseat per row and the carseat needs to be at the window. This has to do with safety and in an emergency being able to get out of the row as fast as possible. Now, some airlines may look past it but if it is possible to follow the rules I would. It is meant to protect you and your family in an emergency.

Sorry-- I was a FA before kids!! :)

californiagirl
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
The actual FAA rule now says you just have to choose "the most appropriate passenger seat location based on safe operating practices" i.e. the airline gets to decide as long as they don't prevent you from using the seat. The FAA suggests not in an aisle seat, not in a row forward or aft of an exit row, and not where it will block any adult (including one traveling with the kid) from reaching the aisle.

In the case of somebody traveling with more than one child, the FAA specifically authorizes a non-window seat, as long as it's not between anybody and the aisle, and it specifically says the accompanying person
should be able to reach the child.

http://www2.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

is possibly more than you ever wanted to know on this subject, although their advice on how to evacuate a plane with an infant is nice.