PDA

View Full Version : Head bouncing to fall asleep

BeachBum
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I guess I really thought that DS would have outgrown this by now. He is 2.75 and still doing it. I'm just not sure how concerned I should be.
When he is trying to fall asleep (he only sleeps in a crib, not the car stroller etc) he bounces his head up and down on his pillow. He sleeps on his stomach. Sometimes the bouncing can last for more than a few minutes. But he is happy doing it, and he told me that is how he goes to sleep. First he does the crazy head bonk, the relaxes and just sleeps. I've watched him on the monitor and he is not hurting himself or anything...just bouncing his head up and down.
thoughts?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
The only experience I have with this is from my younger brother. He would bang his head against his mattress to go to sleep. (Much more dramatically than just boucing it!) It freaked my mom out and she asked the ped. He said it was just a self-soothing technique that some kids do.

He finally stopped the head banging and went to rolling side to side to fall asleep. Again, same self-soothing technique. Don't worry, he eventually stopped but my mom was always worried that he would go to college doing it! ;)

DrSally
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
It's a form of rhythmic self stimulation. At least it's on a pillow. If DS doesn't seem to be hurting hims self intentionally (more worrisome) or unintentionally, I'm not as concerned. DS is 2.5 and still rocks himself to sleep. He holds his blankie and rolls his body from side to side, sometimes while singing or chanting "mommy, mommy, mommy". We used to rock him to sleep a lot when he was an infant, and I think it's a hold over from that. It tends to happen more frequently in boys, I think. Anyway, I too hope he's not doing it when he's 18 years old, but just hoping he finds another way to drift to sleep. He seems to enjoy it too, actually.