PDA

View Full Version : New York/ Niagra Falls

jbrandy
06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
We are travelling with our 5yr old and 1 yr old and my parents this summer to the New York area and NIagra Falls. Anyone have any suggestions of places to visit -- must see things?? Anyone have any experience with a one year old at Niagra Falls -- I'm wondering where I can go with a stroller and where I can't.

So far we have planned -- (not in order)

Cooperstown - Baseball Hall of Fame (for DH)
Crayola Factory - Easton PA
Rochester - Toy musuem there for kids -- AAA books says it's a must see
Train Ride PA on the way home
Niagra Falls -- not sure of the specifics yet. We're thinking about taking a tour -- I'm just not sure with a 1 year old.

Any thoughts, comments??? I'll take any ideas here!

Beth
DS 4-4-03
DS 4-18-07

pastrygirl
06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
There's an adorable little town near the Falls called Niagara-on-the-Lake. I love it there! I haven't gone since having Toby, so I don't know how it would be with kids. It might be a little boring... but it's great for adults. There are lots of little shops and restaurants, there's a beautiful vineyard, etc. I think there's a butterfly garden on the way there from the Falls (it's about 10 minutes away -- very close).

We did go to the Falls with family and there was one baby/toddler in a stroller. I don't remember the stroller being a problem, but I wasn't a mom then so I probably didn't pay as much attention. (It's very different now that I've experienced parenthood firsthand! I'm aware of everything, LOL!)

wendibird22
06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I live in Rochester and the Strong Museum of Play is a MUST SEE! It is home to the national toy hall of fame and has a ton of interactive kids play areas with dress up clothes, a pretend grocery store that allows kids to shop, scan, and pay (even gives them a real receipt).

I have never been but have heard great things about the Train Museum http://railroadmuseum.net/

I think the kids would get a kick out of the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. It goes right under the falls (you get a nice rain slicker to wear). My parents took my brother and I when we were little. I couldn't have been more than 3.

luv2bmommy
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
:yeahthat: [QUOTE=pastrygirl]Niagara-on-the-Lake.QUOTE]
I think you'd all really enjoy the stroll to this pretty little town, and there is this one famous ice-cream place right on the main road (sorry don't know the name) where they make the cones right there and then!!! I stayed in line just for the cones almost:ROTFLMAO:
Definitely worth it!

denmom2
06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Another vote for the Strong Museum in Rochester. My kids love that place. You can definitely spend a few hours in there. There have a food court to eat at too.

I grew up just outside of Niagara Falls. If you are planning on going over to Canada (better view of falls, more things to do) just remember to bring birth certificates or passports for everyone including the children.

I don't know how much a tour would cost, but I would probably try and do Niagara Falls on my own. I know that they do have a trolley that will drive you around. We did it last summer with a 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 yr old. They really liked it. The trolley drives around and makes numerous stops. I don't think it costs much and you can get on and off as much as you like throughout the day. Saves a lot of walking. We had a small stroller and it was no problem to take on the trolley.

Maid of the Mist would be fun. Niagara Falls has an aquarium too. It's not very big but it's always a good option if you have a rainy day.

Hope that helps!

deenass
06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
We took DS there last year - I was disappointed. The museum was mostly arts and craft type stuff with crayola products. I don't know what I was expecting, but it fell a bit shy. Luckily my DS is pretty into arts and crafts so he had fun, but if your kid isn't into that it may be a waste.

We did, however, like the Canal museum which is part of the Crayola ticket price. DS could have spent HOURS there (so could DH!) Don't miss out on that if you do end up going.

mnosky1
06-21-2008, 11:48 PM
We took DS there last year - I was disappointed. The museum was mostly arts and craft type stuff with crayola products. I don't know what I was expecting, but it fell a bit shy. Luckily my DS is pretty into arts and crafts so he had fun, but if your kid isn't into that it may be a waste.

We did, however, like the Canal museum which is part of the Crayola ticket price. DS could have spent HOURS there (so could DH!) Don't miss out on that if you do end up going.

I second the above post exactly
Michelle

deannanb
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM
my MIL lives in Buffalo - so the last few years we have gone to Niagara Falls (we got to go this year in March and see snow everywhere!)

Like a PP said Niagara-on-the-Lake is in Canada - so you need passports or birth certificates - we were there 2 years ago - cute town - but since we were with our then 2 year old it wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

we LOVE the Cave of the Winds "tour" on the American side - you get WET! bring a change of clothes. Your 5 year old should have a good time.
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/cave_of_the_winds.htm

we did the cave of the winds tour on the canadian side 2 years ago - and did not like it as much as the american side - you get WET on the american side. - much fun!

hth

ETA: the american side of the falls is a national park - has a little place to eat and a souvenir shop
the canadian side of the falls has a bunch of touristy shops and places to eat

for kids, the view is a waterfall from either side.

pastrygirl
06-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Like a PP said Niagara-on-the-Lake is in Canada

I'd forgotten about that! I only ever go to the Canadian side of the Falls. I've heard the NY side isn't as nice.