PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about the Evenflo Chase? Need a good 2nd seat for Grandparents.

T.O. Twins
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
We live in Toronto and will be visiting my parents in Iowa the June when my twin daughters will be 2 and then again in December when they will be 2.5. We really wanted to avoid taking our car seats with us, so thought we'd buy some seats to keep at my parents house which the girls could use on these two trips and possibly on our more-or-less yearly visits in the next few years. As the seats won't be used often, I wanted to get something inexpensive, but, of course, still safe.

The Evenflo Chase looks like the best option as it has relatively high top slots 16.8 inches, according to carseatdata.org), can harness to 40 pounds, and and can eventually convert to a booster. I have read some reviews, however, which indicate that the strap tightening design forces the chest clip so high that it is basically at a child's throat. This seems unsafe and uncomfortable.

Has anyone had experience with this seat and found this to be a problem? Is there another seat which would be better for our purposes.

Oh, and at 2 yrs girls are about 34inches tall and 26lbs. In our car they are in a Britax Roundabout and their shoulders are about an inch from the top slot. Also, at my parents' house we'll be driving around in a 2004 Prius. (In case this is useful for you to know.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joolsplus2
06-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I *think* kids that are at least as tall as yours (ie, not in the bottom slots of the Chase) won't have a problem with the harness adjuster, so it's probably fine. Nice tall top slots should get them to a full 40 pounds (that seat is good to 47 in Canada, but only 40 here, but that's still about when the harness slots become too short anyway for petite kids, so it's fine), and then it's a decent booster. The Graco Cargos are narrower if you are going to ever be sitting in back with them, but they cost like $40 more...
(Here's a shopping tip, you can order them from Walmart.com for 'site to store' delivery and have your folks go pick them up and not pay any shipping fees.. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4366138&sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=4366138)

(Ok, I'm just reading those angry reviews on Wm.com and yikes, I didn't know it was so bad, most people I know who use this seat are not that unhappy with it!...sheesh, I dunno now! The Cargo has an adjuster like the Roundabout, but the Graco Nautilus will last *by far* the longest, you won't have to buy another seat since it's good for 6 years as a highback and the backless can be used for 9 years, and that's about when kiddos can graduate to the adult seatbelt).
:)

bubbaray
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
We have the Evenflo Vision, which is the same seat as the Chase, just a different cover. Its DD#1's daycare seat and has been for a couple of years. Her daycare provider LOVES that seat because its superlightweight. She installs/uninstalls seats as needed and d/n leave them installed in her SUV as a parent would (they don't often drive places, they usually do things withing walking distance). I've asked her about the harness and she doesn't mind it at all. FWIW, my DD#1 has a really long torso, is on the top slots of a MA and RN and still fits in the Vision.

HTH

ETA: I'd consider buying them in Canada (I'm in BC, cheapest place is Walmart unless TRU has a sale) because you get those 7 extra pounds. Because you'd be using them in the US as a tourist, its fine IMO to use Canadian seats. The Vision/Chase has higher top slots than the Cargo, BTW.

tjham
06-10-2008, 02:39 AM
I have a Chase still in use as a spare for an almost 7 yr old (39 1/2 lbs for a year now). It's not plush but the adjuster isn't hard to use and the chest clip fits OK. I don't think I would ever use it as a booster but as a harnessed seat, it's fine! ( Ooooh, I think I need to check the expiration date.)