PDA

View Full Version : Recaro Vivo for 3 yr old??

mommabear
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I noticed these say age 3 and up but I thought kids should be in a harness at 3.
I am about to move my son from his roundabout and am looking at the Regent or Recaro young sport or Vivo.
Any suggestions? My son is 3 1/2 and 40 lbs.
Thanks

Joolsplus2
06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, for greatest protection against head injury, kids really need to be harnessed till age 5 or longer (we ALL should be harnessed, it's much safer in more types of crashes...Ford has been trying to get 4 point seatbelts approved for some time now... they could be on the way..--with no crotch strap to muck up skirts and dresses, of course...)

Anywho, booster marketers do want a big share of the sales, so putting 3/30 as a minimum gets them more of the money pie...it's not the safest choice, it's certainly not 'terrible', but those of us in the know will keep our kids harnessed much longer than that ;).

The Regent is one to look at, so would be the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier, or Cosco Apex...they all have harnesses to higher weights and become boosters (Apex isn't the highest quality seat, but it is a nice budget option for a spare car). The Young Sport is a lovely seat, but only harnesses to 40 pounds, so cross it off your list..but I think one of the others should suit you fine (we've been chatting about them a lot, so read down through the threads a bit to get a feel for their pros and cons, and then ask more questions!)

:)