PDA

View Full Version : Another furniture ?, Please!

Wife_and_mommy
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I think these people are playing games with me so I can't negotiate them down. They're asking $700. I think it's a deal but, of course, want it for $5 or 600.

The set's from Crate/Barrel and 3 yrs. old. It looks to be in awesome shape.

As an aside, would it be weird to have a glass panel made to protect it? My dc's have butchered our current table.

I appreciate your thoughts immensely!

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff301/wife_and_mommy_photos/010208011608010301200806085b01575f2.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff301/wife_and_mommy_photos/01150001030401160020080608bbae6e468.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff301/wife_and_mommy_photos/01150201160301040820080608f6cddda9a.jpg

mamabelle
06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
What does it retail for? What is the condition of the cushions? Tabletop? Also, I would price the glass top and get tempered so that if they bang on it it will not shatter.

Wife_and_mommy
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
What does it retail for? What is the condition of the cushions? Tabletop? Also, I would price the glass top and get tempered so that if they bang on it it will not shatter.

Don't know the retail on it. It's not available on the site anymore. C/B isn't cheap though. Their less expensive tables run about $500. Their chairs $140-200. I do wonder if C/B is similar to PB in that their quality doesn't match their prices. Does anyone know if that's the case?

I love bouncing things off here. This seems like my kind of buy the more I think about it. I'll have to cover the kids' seats and the tabletop which can be done easily enough. If we keep this set for 10 yrs. like our current one, I'd be happy.

New turn of events...they emailed and their first prospective buyer "fell through" so we're next. I can't go tomorrow so DH has to go alone...that's kind of scary. I'm just scratching the surface of furniture knowledge. He has none. But if they really do have a line of people I don't want to miss out...I'm rambling..

Thanks for your response!

s7714
06-10-2008, 01:21 AM
We have a couple C/B pieces, and shopped for dining tables there back in '02. At that point in time the tables and chairs all seemed to be really well made, but the prices were a bit inflated IMO. Most of the tables I wanted that were that size were easily at least $1200-$1800+ not including chairs.

$700 seems like a good deal to me if the pieces are all in great condition. Do they have two more chairs to round it out to eight or is it only six? Just curious as you'd usually have two header chairs at the ends to round out the seating, but maybe I'm just being old fashioned.

And no, I don't think it'd be odd to put down a sheet of glass or something to protect the table.

ETF typo

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 07:18 AM
We have a couple C/B pieces, and shopped for dining tables there back in '02. At that point in time the tables and chairs all seemed to be really well made, but the prices were a bit inflated IMO. Most of the tables I wanted that were that size were easily at lease $1200-$1800+ not including chairs.

$700 seems like a good deal to me if the pieces are all in great condition. Do they have two more chairs to round it out to eight or is it only six? Just curious as you'd usually have two header chairs at the ends to round out the seating, but maybe I'm just being old fashioned.

And no, I don't think it'd be odd to put down a sheet of glass or something to protect the table.

Was hoping you'd respond.

Only 6 six chairs. Our current set only has four so we're moving up. ;) We're not big entertainers so it will work. I plan to take the leaf out for every day use anyway.

Thank you!!

AngelaS
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
We bought a table off Craigslist and it was in wonderful condition! I hope you like yours as much as we like ours!

(Sorry, can't help you with the C&B quality--I'm clueless!)

elephantmeg
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
It looks like its worth it to me

Tondi G
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
thats a good price! We spent $200 on a set 6 chairs about 9 years ago and they are not C&B chairs.

It looks pretty nice from the pics! As long as the chairs are not all funky/stained I would go for it! It's not as nice but you could always get a sheet of Plexiglass instead to protect the table from the kiddies and not have to worry about it shattering! Chances are if you are entertaining you will put the leaf in and remove the top anyways right?!

Good Luck

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks ladies! DH/I are excited. That's for sure. Our current set is 10 yrs. old and screams country--so not me.

Seems this couple doesn't have kids.:ROTFLMAO: The seats are flawless. I'm going to assign each dc a seat and cover it with something sturdy and plastic-backed.

The plexiglass is a good idea. Won't look as nice but will give it some thought. Thanks, Tondi.