PDA

View Full Version : convertible seat for a newborn?

cmmama
06-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I know they say convertible seats can be used from birth... but can they really??

We've got a mess of family coming into town over the next month or two to meet the new addition. Most of them bringing their own vehicles. (They drive vans/SUV's with more passenger room than our 4-seat Element, so I envision using their cars when we all want to go somewhere.)

Can we install one of our convertible seats in their cars for the length of their visits or is the best option simply to move the infant carseat between their cars and ours, as needed?

I don't want to buy an extra infant base (never used the xtra base the first time around and storage space in our house is at a premium). That means we'd either be moving the base back and forth or leaving the base in our car and installing the infant seat without the base in theirs.

Infant seat is the safeseat. The two convertibles I have are the Roundabout and the Scenera. New addition is about 10lbs and just a month old.
WWYD?

thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I'd just practice installing the SS1 without the base, that way when you go somewhere you'd have the seat with you... but also, the base itself is SO easy to install it might take less time than installing just the seat, so you could just move it. Really, once you try it a few times you can do it in under a minute. But the Roundabout should be fine for a baby that size, too :)

o_mom
06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd just practice installing the SS1 without the base, that way when you go somewhere you'd have the seat with you... but also, the base itself is SO easy to install it might take less time than installing just the seat, so you could just move it. Really, once you try it a few times you can do it in under a minute. But the Roundabout should be fine for a baby that size, too :)

:yeahthat:

I seriously move my SS1 base all the time because it is actually easier than installing the Roundabout or Scenera. I can install it with the seatbelt in about 20 seconds.

If you can find a good rear-facing tether point, then the Roundabout would be OK, you will need to use the tether point or noodles to get the recline far enough for a newborn. The Scenera you will need 2-3 noodle pieces in just about any car for a newborn recline (45 deg).

Joolsplus2
06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Hehe, yeah, I could install the SS1 base three times for every one RA install, and probably 6 times for every Scenera install :ROTFLMAO: