PDA

View Full Version : removed tick from Keira's scalp... now what? she is one year old

BarbieSmith
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
She has a fever today and tells me she does not feel well... I cannot imagine that it can be due to the tick I just removed from her scalp, do you? I do not think that the tick has been in for 24 hours or more... I would have seen it when making her hair yesterday morning. But it was in there pretty well, I had to really pull on it. I used tweezers and then cleaned with alcohol. The head came out too (does that matter?) and also I saved it in some tupperware (any need to?).

Please can you tell me what I should be on the lookout for and if I did this right. Should I call the ped?

Thank you so much for helping,
Barbie
mom to Ava - 3.5 years and Keira - 22 mos

Corie
06-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Barbie,

I would most definitely call the pediatrician. I would wonder about
Lyme disease. Your doctor may want to see the tick too.

Yes, call your ped.

mamicka
06-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Call the ped. Hope she's feeling better soon. :)

JBaxter
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Call the ped search for a rash of any kind esp where the tick was removed

cono0507
06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I just pulled one off my DS's scalp this week too. he went out to play for an hour in the back yard with DH and came in with a dark spot on his scalp that was a tick and was stuck on pretty well.

Here's some stuff I found when looking for more tick info:

http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=inf_immu/7714

http://www.uptodate.com/online/content/image.do?imageKey=prim_pix/engorged.htm

DrSally
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I would call the ped too. Watch for a rash, but they don't necessarily have to have one to have Lymes. It's supposed to be on for a longer period to get it, but I guess just to be safe you should have it checked out. It's good you got the head out. I brought my tick in and the dr. said she wasn't going to check it b/c virtually all ticks in CT carry lymes. But, you can bring it in and see what they say where you live. Keep us updated, hope it's unrelated!

BarbieSmith
06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I called the ped and she said to wash the area and apply triple antibiotic for the next week. She said to check the site daily for signs of a rash, and be aware for any unusual fevers, etc. But since the tick was likely not in for at least 48 hours, it likely did not cause any illness.

Thanks again ladies!
Barbie

ThreeofUs
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
But since the tick was likely not in for at least 48 hours, it likely did not cause any illness.

Just a word of caution: You may still want to think about a quick blood test to be sure.

Not only is there some disagreement as to the time it takes to transmit (24? 36? 48? hours), but it would be hard to diagnose Lyme disease in a small child. Most people don't exhibit any symptoms of the "early localized infection"....