PDA

View Full Version : metal bars for mattress support

KBecks
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
OK, so I bought a 2nd hand crib at a resale shop yesterday. I looked it over and my only concern is that it has metal bars to support the mattress vs. metal springs. I think it will be fine, it is very very sturdy and the crib functions well. My only concern is the bars and if there is any safety concern. I checked my BBbook and it mentions that some cribs have metal bars but springs or wood slats are better. I don't see how metal bars are different from wood slats so I think we're fine. Of course BB says don't buy a used crib. :) But I feel like I made a good evaluation of the crib. We are going with a 6" foam mattress.

Does anyone know of any specific concerns with metal bar supports? I will run a check on the brand/model and if I come up with anything concerning I will return it. Thanks!

BabyMine
06-13-2008, 04:45 PM
With our first DS we had the metal bars and didn't have a problem. We replaced that crib for our next DS and this one has springs. But with DS1 the bars never caused any problems.

KBecks
06-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I ended up emailing the mfg with the model number and asking them if the crib was subject to any recalls or safety concerns. They replied that the crib is fine and they sent an e-copy of the instruction manual, so we should be all set!