PDA

View Full Version : Good Lovey for 12 mo?

o_mom
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking about trying to introduce a lovey to DS3 in the hopes that it will help him sleep longer (I know, fat chance). Anyone have good suggestions?

Something not too expensive that I can get duplicates of. DS1 and DS2 both attached to random stuffed things. With DS1 I finally found duplicates after searching for over a year! DS2 I was able to snatch up some duplicates on clearance at Target. I haven't tossed anything in the crib with DS3 for fear that he will get attached and I won't find another one.

wendibird22
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
We've had luck with a small taggies blanket (I think it's 12x12). DD only get the blanket for naps and bedtime. When I hand them to her she nuzzles into my arms and seems to know that means time to sleep.

cimberdog
06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I make our lovies - it's super easy if you have some patience and a sewing machine! I do mini little rag quilts - mine are 5x5 squares sewn together like a quilt and then one side the edges all get snipped so they rag up when washed. It's great for kids who love to rub edges between their fingers. I found that a 5 square by 5 square works out great!

bubbaray
06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
DD#2 must have her Target Circo microfleece blankey. We have the pink ones at home, but at daycare she has a yellow/gender neutral one. IIRC, they come in green & blue too.

http://www.target.com/Circo-Karina-Butterfly-Print-Blanket/dp/B000K91CDK/qid=1213150984/ref=br_1_16/601-0489235-8573764?ie=UTF8&node=10157851&frombrowse=1&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=10157851&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=6

They are $7.99.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
IL's presented DD with a Gund from Belk, then duplicated it at our request a year later. With DS, we ok'd one and they bought 2 right away. We need to put both backups in a safe place.

boolady
06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
DD has loved her pink Angel Dear bunny since she was about 5 months old. She definitely self-soothes with it, even now. When she gets into bed, she rubs the soft corners on her face, and it helps her settle down. This Amazon links shows many of the animal options:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=angel+dear&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1152963521&ref=pd_sl_6atsobecot_b

veronica
06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
DD, and now DS, love their angel dear blankies as well. Each have three just in case.

I purchased them from americangiftfactory.com, sometimes they have some on sale or offer f/s

novmber
06-11-2008, 11:10 AM
another vote for the angel dear lovies - i have twins and i think i have 8 of them and 2 nap blankets with the puppies.

i found good prices at www.americangiftfactory.com

rlu
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM
I make our lovies - it's super easy if you have some patience and a sewing machine! I do mini little rag quilts - mine are 5x5 squares sewn together like a quilt and then one side the edges all get snipped so they rag up when washed. It's great for kids who love to rub edges between their fingers. I found that a 5 square by 5 square works out great!

My sis made DS loveys from "fat quarters" edged with blanket ribbon. She made 3 in total - two with the same fabric and the third with different fabric. The third was made when DS had a really bad stomach bug. DS rejected the third one and gave it to me to sleep with. All she did was put a little muslin (I think) between two fat quarters of the same fabric and then sewed a grid pattern (quilting) to keep the muslin in place. She then sewed on baby blanket ribbon (the corners were a pita).

I like this size because it is big enough to hold but not so big I worried about suffocation.

I had a week-long business trip earlier this year and made him a "mommy" blanket slightly bigger than 4x6. I printed out a picture of us on printer-friendly fabric (you can find it at craft or fabric store) and used a piece of fabric he picked out for the back with muslin in between. I sewed on the blanket binding and the corners are a little muddled but work for him. I wrote with fabric pen Mommy loves DS on the back.

HTH.

o_mom
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Thank you all!! I think I'm going to order a few of the Angel Dear blankies. I figure if he doesn't get attached to it, I can use the backups as gifts!

Melaine
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
This is a little OT, but my girls LOVE their loveys at 20 months (Carters blankets with bear heads). However, my ped. told me it was not safe for them to sleep with ANYTHING: loose blankets, pillows, toys, stuffed animals, etc. until they turn THREE!!! So I have been vigilantly taking the loveys from them after they fall asleep since they were teeny. (Which is very inconvenient) Since then, I have yet to hear one other person who was given such a long time frame. Everyone else seems to be told it's ok after one?! Any thoughts on this. I am terrified of SIDS (well, who isn't?) so I am willing to be over-cautious, but where did my dr. get this?

Ceepa
06-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Melaine,

I have never heard of waiting until a child is 3 for lovies. Certainly there are super-cautious parents and also super-cautious pediatricians so maybe that's just the situation with yours. I believe as soon as a child is mobile enough to reliably manipulate their boby and crib items (blankets, lovies, etc.) then it shouldn't be an issue.

o_mom
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
This is a little OT, but my girls LOVE their loveys at 20 months (Carters blankets with bear heads). However, my ped. told me it was not safe for them to sleep with ANYTHING: loose blankets, pillows, toys, stuffed animals, etc. until they turn THREE!!! So I have been vigilantly taking the loveys from them after they fall asleep since they were teeny. (Which is very inconvenient) Since then, I have yet to hear one other person who was given such a long time frame. Everyone else seems to be told it's ok after one?! Any thoughts on this. I am terrified of SIDS (well, who isn't?) so I am willing to be over-cautious, but where did my dr. get this?

Wow, that is a very long time. I have always been told or read that under a year, no loose blankets or toys. Also, that large stuffed animals or pillows should not be used as long as they are in a crib because they can use them to climb out. Many kids are out of a crib before age three, so they are obviously using a blanket/sheet etc. I was fine with a small stuffed toy at around 10 mos with my other two. I'll add a picture below of what I mean by small - they were small and firmly stuffed. I also waited until age two to put a blanket in with them, mainly because they couldn't keep it on until then so we used sleep sacks.

I think you should ask your doctor where that recommendation comes from and what research he has to back it up. It sounds like he is being extra cautious and that he is making a blanket statement instead of worrying that people will misinterpret what things are allowed.

Picture of the type of small toy I am talking about - they are about 6 inches long, so not very big at all:
http://shopping.canoe.ca/ss/media/25174000/25174856.jpg

Nooknookmom
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Funny-I did the same thing for the same reason. S, unlike her sister, doesn't take a binky. So I was her lovey at nite.

I found that once you fiond the perfect lovey-repetition is the key to the DB/lovey bond. I constatly bring along "blankie" or "dog" & talk to DD about it. It's working!

She gets Dog at nite & Blankie during the day (no chance of getting tangled by blankie that way.

GL on your search :) :)