PDA

View Full Version : Too Young for the Beach?

Laela
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
We have our annual beach vacation scheduled in the beginning of July. I am expecting this second baby any day now, at least by Monday, which is the date for inducing him. If we keep to the schedule, this baby will only be 3 weeks when we go to the beach (Ocean City).

Would you go to the beach with a 3 week old?

I am almost tempted to tell my hubby just to go with our 3 yo. All his family will be there, so it's not like he'd be alone. (We share a condo with his parents and grandmother.) That's another concern - I don't want the baby to cry and wake everyone up!

But it could be nice to go as well. I'll be breastfeeding so it's not like hubby and I would really go out alone during this time. But there will be people around for short breaks ...

I just can't decide.

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I'd run not walk if you think you'll feel well physically. You'll still be pretty early PP so I'm more concerned about you than baby. Also if bf'ing is a struggle might be tough to handle with the whole family around.

If you had a pretty easy go of PP as I did, I'd be there. Can you wait until the week before to decide? Seeing how the birth and BF go would be factors in my decision.

I think you'll enjoy either way. If DH leaves with 3yo, you can have a mommy/baby vacay at home.:)

ETA: I took DS at 6 weeks old for a day and it was fine. It was super windy that day but went well. They're SO easy at that age.

wolverine2
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I took DS2 at 3 weeks to a ski weekend. Of course, I didn't ski, but it was nice to get out and have some extra help around. I'd say go for it!! And maybe you and DH could go out for dinner or something while the grandparents watch your older one. You could just have the baby sleeping in a carseat or something. I found with #2 I was out much earlier than #1 doing things. I say if you want to, go for it!

KrisM
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
We have plans to go to my parents cottage about 3-4 weeks after this baby is born and I am definitely going! My parents will be there for extra help and I think it'll be a nice relaxing few days for both me and DH and fun for the other kids.

I probably won't have the baby out on the beach much, but that's fine.

ETA: I agree about being out more with DD (#2) than with DS. I had a c-birth with her and still walked downtown to a playgroup at 8 days old. It was about 1 mile each way and I figured I knew people along the route, so if I got stuck, I had places to stop. But, it was fine. I just needed DS to be doing things!

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Heck ya, I'd be there. Babe could even be on the beach with me provided they were well protected from the elements (sun canopy, umbrella...). It'd be great to have help with the baby and just a change of scenery. 3w is growth spurt time so it would certainly be nice to go through that when you have someone else around to hold the baby for the brief moments baby is not eating. You can go and get in a quick walk and refresh. I'd be there.

ETA- ditto the pps- I was out and about much earlier after ds2 arrived. Life needed to go on for ds1 so it did.

Beth

lizajane
06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
my sister had a horrible unexpected c-section and terrible recovery and still took her 3 week old to the beach last year. she only took him out before 10am and after 4 pm, in a hat and long sleeve shirt and sat him in the shade. and put sunscreen on his legs, after clearing it with the dr. she got to go down to the ocean alone while others sat with him while napping and she got to sit on the beach and read while others held him. you should go!

hillview
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd go if you like your DH's family. In my case I would NOT go :) but that is more of a family issue. If it were say MY family I'd be there!
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I skipped the trip when I was faced with taking #1 to the beach at 3 weeks. It broke my heart, but we were having feeding problems of all sorts. I kinda got the feeling that SIL and BIL (who love babies) kinda didn't want to share a space with us since we'd be getting up every few hours. They never said that aloud, but it was the right thing for us at the time.

Your situation would likely be different. I would RUN to the beach with my 2 yr. old so people could take care of/have fun with her and let me spend time taking care of the baby.

annasmom
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I would definitely go. What better way to recuperate, then lying on the beach reading a good book?? That soon after your delivery, I would think you could talk your dh into watching your older dc on the beach.

Do you think that everyone you will be staying with will be at the beach the entire day? The reason I ask is we go to the beach every Summer with my entire family. My parents NEVER go to the beach, so I have always had built-in babysitting for the itty-bitty babies. I try not to take advantage of it, but it is really nice not to have to take a baby every time you want to go to the beach.

I won't have a little baby this Summer, but I will be pregnant with 4, 3 and 1.5 y.o. dc. My dh have planned that I will have the morning to myself on the beach to relax, while he runs after the older kids. I will then take the kids back to the beach house after lunch for some downtime and naps, while he gets to relax on the beach.

I hope it works out for you!

Laela
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all your comments, ladies!

If this was my first pregnancy, I probably would not even be asking this question and skip it. But I don't really want to be left out. I probably would not take the baby to the beach and instead go to the pool area when it is not steaming hot, which is where a lot of his family spends time anyway.