PDA

View Full Version : Moms of 2+ (esp twins)- how early did you show?

JTsMom
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, those of you who have more than 1 child, how early did you start to show with your 2nd? Was it earlier than with the first, or about the same?

I'd be especially curious to hear from anyone who has twins.

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Is this an announcement? ;)

I showed much earlier with #2. Muscles are stretched out so it makes sense.

buddyleebaby
06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I showed around the same time with one and two, much earlier with three.

caheinz
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Hmmm. Well, I showed a bit earlier to me this time around -- but I'm a pear shape, and even after DS had no belly to speak of. I couldn't fit into my regular pants by 6 or 8 weeks, and was moving into maternity (one size up was getting too tight and uncomfortable) by 14 weeks.

We had no clue whatsoever that there were twins until the 12wk ultrasound. No sign in terms of showing at all... either early or how much.

JTsMom
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
LOL, how did I know that question was going to come up? Ok, here's the deal- mentally, I don't think I am, but I sure do feel pregnant. If I'm not, something is wrong with me.

The uh... incident that may or may not have caused such a situation happened during my period, and my cycles tend to run a little long, BUT early menopause (and twins close to it) run in my family, so anything is possible b/c eggs start dropping all over the place. LOL

I haven't even missed my period yet- it's not even due until the 17ish, so it would be REALLY early, but I'm exhausted, peeing a lot, have sore boobs, heartburn, and I'm so incredibly nauseas I can't stand it. AND DH came home the other night and said it looked like I had gained 20 lbs in my belly since he left for work (with DS, I showed really early- maternity clothes from 7.5 weeks on).

So, it's possible, just not likely. I tested, but it came up negative, which isn't surprising b/c it's way too early to test, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

mamaoftwins
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
My boys are my first kids, so I can't speak about showing earlier or later ... I started showing around 12wks with my twins. But, my boobs got huge within the first 4wks (went from a medium B to a very full C), and my pants were pretty tight by about 6wks (had to do the unbuttoning thing for awhile). You sound a lot like me when I got pregnant ... I knew I was pregnant a week before I was supposed to get my period (my periods were super-regular) - that day at work, I was nauseous, had sore boobs (which never happened to me when I was getting my period), and could not get it out of my head that I was pregnant with twins. I told one of my friends that day that I thought I was preg with twins, and she agreed that I must be b/c I felt like I was obsessing over it the whole day. I didn't test b/c I knew it was too early, so I waited until the next wk, and it came back positive. Found out officially that it was 2 at my 1st ultrasound (5wks 4days, I believe), when we saw two little sacs. Fraternal twins run in my family - grandmother, great-uncles, cousins. And you're right, your chances of having twins increase with age, and increase if you've already had twins - which is the part that I'm afraid of!!! ;)

If you still feel like this, test again a week after you did the 1st one, and if still neg, I'd make an appt with your doc anyway - blood tests can read lower numbers than pee sticks! Good luck!!

JTsMom
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I knew I was pregnant a week before I was supposed to get my period

Thanks, at least I don't feel so nutty. LOL I don't think most people would believe you can feel sick so early, but it happened to me with DS too- just not this severly.

MommyAllison
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I did show much earlier with DS. With DD I didn't need maternity til after 20 wks. With DS I was worried people would guess I was pregnant before we were ready to tell (we don't announce til the second tri). Hope the next week flies by and you have an answer very soon! :)

KrisM
06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
No twins here.

But, I showed much later with DD and this one than with DS. Not sure why. With him, I was in larger-sized pants at 12 weeks or so. With DD, I wore my normal clothes until 23 weeks and with #3 until about 20 weeks.

I'm also much smaller now than I was with DS or DD at 35+ weeks. Not sure why - more room inside to hide or something :).

SpaceGal
06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL, how did I know that question was going to come up? Ok, here's the deal- mentally, I don't think I am, but I sure do feel pregnant. If I'm not, something is wrong with me.

The uh... incident that may or may not have caused such a situation happened during my period, and my cycles tend to run a little long, BUT early menopause (and twins close to it) run in my family, so anything is possible b/c eggs start dropping all over the place. LOL

I haven't even missed my period yet- it's not even due until the 17ish, so it would be REALLY early, but I'm exhausted, peeing a lot, have sore boobs, heartburn, and I'm so incredibly nauseas I can't stand it. AND DH came home the other night and said it looked like I had gained 20 lbs in my belly since he left for work (with DS, I showed really early- maternity clothes from 7.5 weeks on).

So, it's possible, just not likely. I tested, but it came up negative, which isn't surprising b/c it's way too early to test, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I know I've been a long way out of touch but you sound pregnant and you'll have to let us know!! :)

ThreeofUs
06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm exhausted, peeing a lot, have sore boobs, heartburn, and I'm so incredibly nauseas I can't stand it. AND DH came home the other night and said it looked like I had gained 20 lbs in my belly since he left for work (with DS, I showed really early- maternity clothes from 7.5 weeks on).

With DS#2 (who, o'course, has not yet arrived), I felt like this about, oh, 3 weeks after conception. In fact, the reason I bought a pack of pregnancy tests was because I found myself driving down the street thinking, "geez, I haven't felt this exhausted and sick since I was preg ... oh, hey!"

For me, though, the pregnancy stripes (on multiple tests) showed loud and clear before the reference stripes even had a chance to develop.

gatorsmom
06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
LOL- thinking it's twins, eh? :)

With DS2, I showed about the same time as I did with DS1. In fact, I was in better shape with that second pregnancy so I was barely showing at 4 months (I showed at 3 months with the first). I had the same symptoms too at the same severity level.

With the twins pregnancy, I was in pretty good shape to start off with and I started to show at 2 months. And I grew very quickly. VERY QUICKLY. And my symptoms were twice as bad. I craved proteins like crazy and became very irritable if I didn't get them. And I was much more tired too.

But hey, don't forget that every pregnancy is different in some way from the last and chances are very good that you aren't pregnant with twins. Honestly, unless you are doing fertility drugs and treatments, it's rare. hth

saschalicks
06-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I started really showing w/DS1 at 15 weeks. With DS2 I was in maternity clothes by 8 weeks.

GL!

caheinz
06-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I craved proteins like crazy and became very irritable if I didn't get them. And I was much more tired too.

But hey, don't forget that every pregnancy is different in some way from the last and chances are very good that you aren't pregnant with twins. Honestly, unless you are doing fertility drugs and treatments, it's rare. hth

I forgot about this, but I was sooooo protein starved early on this time, and I could barely swallow carbs at all. (And I'm normally a carb lover!) Now that I'm purposely getting more protein, I can eat carbs again, but for a while there it was ALL about protein.

Spontaneous identicals are only about 3 or 4 per 1000 births, and are totally a random occurrence. Fraternal twins occur more frequently with increased maternal age, fertility treatments, and can run in families (only mom's side counts, since it's an increased number of eggs released) -- but with the exception of fertility treatments, they're still pretty rare.

JTsMom
06-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Talk to me about rare ladies- DS's condition- 1 in 10,000!!! LOL I've just heard that with twins, sympotms are often more severe, so I thought that might explain it- I'm not holding my breath though. It wouldn't even make sense that I'd be pregnant period, let alone with twins, but one never knows around here. Something crazy is always happening. I just hope if I'm not, this pukey feeling goes away. I haven't been able to leave the house in 3 days. I guess I'll knw soon enough, but I'm about the least patient person on the planet when it comes to this stuff.

ShanaMama
06-11-2008, 01:25 PM

I was wondering also, LOL. No twins here either (although my sister has spontaneous fraternal twins, so who know, maybe one day!). With this pregnancy I started showing much earlier & have been soooo much more exhausted. The breast tenderness was what told me I should buy pregnancy tests. I also kinda knew I was pregnant & was holding off testing until I thought I'd get the positive.