PDA

View Full Version : How to make goodbyes easier?

elektra
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
So I work from home, partly because I thought it would be more time for me with DD who is now 14 months. I have a nanny here while I am working, as my schedule is still basically 9-5, with me required to be available for meetings, calls, etc. during normal business hours.
And it's been working out great. I can go give DD a kiss, join her for lunch, hold her, etc. And she has been fine with the set up too.
However, ever since we moved to our new house 2 weeks ago she completely has a meltdown when I have to go back into my home office to work. She will cling on to my legs and just scream when I have to hand her back to the nanny.
I almost feel like it would be less psychologically damaging for her to get dropped off somewhere in the morning and just have to leave me once, vs. getting torn away several times a day! However, that's not what I want to do and would love any advice on how to ease her anxiety.
Hopefully, her anxiety is just related to us moving but even if it is, I would still love any feedback in regards to helping her through it.

kransden
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
That was a stage with my dd. It started at about 15 months and went on until almost 2.5. Then it was over. I basically had to stop visiting her at lunch because she was so upset with me.

tamie
06-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I have worked from the house since mine twins were born. We go in stages. I have learned over time though that when they have a hard time letting Mommy go back to work, I have to cut down on the time that I am out of my home office. I try to wait til they go down for naps to grab lunch, limit the number of times I go down to the kitchen for more water or just to say hi.

When they aren't having separation issues, I am a little more liberal with the number of times I leave the office during the day.

Its definitely a challenge for us sometimes, but definitely worth it when I got to see some of their firsts and share in their day.

Have you tried having the nanny take dc out for a quick walk when you go back to the office? That worked for us.

Hope the little one adjusts soon and comes around for you!

hillview
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
My experience is like Tamie's. When we come back from a trip or DS is just in a mood he is more clingy and I limit my interactions with him that day. Bet it is the move and she will adjust in a week or so.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary