PDA

View Full Version : How to find a good lactation consultant?

beansprout13
06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
How do I find a good LC? I called my obgyn office and the woman they recommended is on vacation for 2 weeks and I really need someone sooner than that. My pediatrician has one available at their office, but used her with DS1 and wasn't really impressed.

Are there any good online resources?

I'm in Southern Conn. so if anyone out there knows a good (and patient!) LC, PM me!

Thanks!

firsttimemama
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
LC's are so expensive, I'd start with LLL first. I guess all local chapters are different, but mine provides free home visits and the advice I've received from the LLL leaders has been way more accurate and way more helpful than from the hospital LCs.

bluestarfish18
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.ilca.org/falc.html

International Lactation Consultant Association

DrSally
06-10-2008, 10:15 PM
You need to see Dr. Christine Smilie in Stratford. She is amazing. It's called Breastfeeding Resources. They'll spend 2 hours with you making an assessment and recommendations, and then follow up. They have 24 hour phone support (I should've taken advantage of). Even if it's a bit of a drive for you, it will be well worth it. This place was a lifesaver for me, I would not have been successful wo/their help as my ped was utterly useless.

ETA: My insurance covered this, although they do have a double copay (one for you and one for the baby), but it is worth it for the 2 hour appt.