PDA

View Full Version : Is this too disruptive for a toddler?

Aishe
06-10-2008, 07:48 PM
We are traveling out of town for a week in July to visit my parents. My husband was just approved to attend a conference in Hawaii the following week. Basically he would be home for one night and then get on a plane for Hawaii the next day. He is begging me to come along (with our 2yo dd). I'm hesitant because I wonder if that will be just too much travel in a short period of time for her. We don't travel a whole lot, and although she has always done well on planes, she's only done 1-2 hour flights. For what it's worth, she is usually in daycare 6 hours a day on the weekdays, which she loves. So it's not as if she's typically with me all day every day. I guess my main concern is that she is a LOUSY sleeper, and I wonder how all the travel would affect that. On the other hand, I bet a lot of time in the pool and on the beach makes for a pretty tired toddler at night.

On another note, I will (hopefully) be about 14 weeks pregnant then. Would that affect your decision at all? I don't imagine I would have any problem traveling then, but it is kind of a long flight (5 hours). Any thoughts? Am I overthinking this? Should I just jump at the chance to go to Hawaii?

hillview
06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
GO!! It will be fun and yes DC may not sleep perfectly but it sounds like a blast!! Pack a bunch of new toys for the flight and I bet she will do well.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
She already isn't sleeping well so I see no harm in dirupting it more. I think it would be worth going together and having the faily time and, hopefully, a great trip/ memory. I would do it.

ETA- 14 weeks will probably be a great time to travel. Out of the 1st trimester, not very big... Lots of water and moving around.

Beth

elizabethkott
06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
GO!!!!!
Hawaii is perfectly magical. You will love it!

zephyr
06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
GO go go! You will not regret it. I only have good, fond memories of that place and would go back in a heartbeat. BTW, many places there are kid friendly.

Laela
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Go, GO, GO!!!!

You'll regret it if you pass it up.

Hawaii is so kid-friendly too. If you can stay at the Hawaiian Hilton Resort, DO IT.

fortato
06-11-2008, 08:41 AM
GO GO GO!

I would never ever miss a chance to go to Hawaii. My cousins took their 1 year old back in February and they had an awesome time...

You'll kick yourself if you don't go. Where are you traveling from?

AngelaS
06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Go! :D Like someone else said, if she's not a very good sleeper anyway, what are you worried about? LOL

kransden
06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I would go! Bring a dvd player and movies. The Disney Princess series (tale of enchantment, pj party etc.) are great because they are several shorts instead of a full length movie. I went to the dollar store for that age and got a bag of plastic animals that we talked about. S for the sneaky snake, which also made a great ring, m for the monkey and the noise it makes is... etc.

Have a great time!

Aishe
06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Hmm, it's pretty hard to argue with a unanimous vote! Thanks, all. I am off to book flights. I'm excited now that the decision is made!

Wife_and_mommy
06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd do it too. I get horrible all day sickness though. If I *knew* I was going to be pg, I'd not go.

new_mommy25
06-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Come to Hawaii! There is so much to do here. I think you would regret it if you stayed home.