PDA

View Full Version : 1st Birthday Party Pot Luck Picnic

jetrlw
06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
So my DD is turning 1 in July. I would like to have an outdoor party for close friends and family in a park. The park I have chosen is only accessible by ferry (7 minute ride). I would like to have about 30 adults (10 of which have children around the same age). I would like to have a Baby Einsten theme where the kids will have 4 "play stations" (reading station, blocks station, bubbles and balls station, and music station). The kids would be able to visit the stations as they wish. I will provide all the activites for the kids. The island also has other family friendly activities (such as bike rentals and tours) that the guests can partake if they wish. I do not want to overwhelm my DD, thus the picnic style open format. I want her to see this more as an extended playdate than a "party". I have a couple dilemmas.

1) Since it is not practical for me to bring food to serve all these people, I wanted to make it a pot luck so they can bring their favorite picnic dish. Also there are food vendors on the island if they are still hungry. We would provide cake and beverage.

2) Since I am asking them to bring food, I don't want any gifts.

3) The guests will have to take a ferry (free) to get to the island and ferry runs every hour. Is 11:30am on a Saturday too early to ask guests to meet at ferry station? Party will be 12pm-3pm (with guests having option to stay and enjoy island at their leisure).

What are people's thoughts about the pot luck idea. I am still weighing in. Thanks for any advice.

LexyLou
06-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Honestly? I don't think it's right to throw a birthday party for your child and ask other people to bring food. Especially since they have to travel by ferry to get there.

Maybe you could do really simple things like just a lot of heavy appetizers and the cake...like veggie platter, fruit salad, pasta salad, cheese and crackers...things that you could put in a big cooler and carry on to the ferry.

bubbaray
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Honestly? I don't think it's right to throw a birthday party for your child and ask other people to bring food. Especially since they have to travel by ferry to get there.

Maybe you could do really simple things like just a lot of heavy appetizers and the cake...like veggie platter, fruit salad, pasta salad, cheese and crackers...things that you could put in a big cooler and carry on to the ferry.

:yeahthat:

If you can't afford/don't want to feed that many people a meal, schedule the party at a time when you can serve just snacks and tell people on the invite that cake and light refreshments will be served. So they know ahead of time not to expect a meal.

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
ITA with the previous posters. My friend had a potluck for her dd's 1st recently and I thought it was pretty tacky. I posted those sentiments here and those feelings seemed to represent the majority. There were some that said in their circles potluck was such the norm that it was a-ok with them. So, if that is the way your group of family and friends does things then that could be fine.

I think that you should move the party so you don't have to provide a meal or just spend the $ on some deli trays or some other cost effective options. Can you order food from the local vendors?

11:30 is fine. Make sure they know the ferry schedule.

Beth

egoldber
06-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Apparently the pot luck thing is very much region and circle specific, so I can't speak to that. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable asking a family with small children to ride a ferry and have to bring food. I think that would be logistically too challenging with having to coordinate food and naps. And honestly 3 hours is a long time for a kids birthday party.

I would consider moving the time. Many children take a nap some time between 12 and 3. So I would either do something 10-12 or 2-4 and have it just be a snacks and cake party. Or maybe save this idea for when your DD is older.

C99
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Ditto. If you don't want to overwhelm your child, invite 2-3 families over for cake and ice cream.

SAHMIL
06-10-2008, 11:20 PM
One of the best bday parties I went to was a birthday breakfast party. It was held from 9-12. Or you could do a brunch thing going from say 10-1 or 10-2 or whatever.

i wouldn't personally do a pot luck. I think that for a 1 year old, you are asking way too much. 3-4 hours tops for a 1st birthday party. You don't want your DC to get too overstimulated and cranky. :-)

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 11:23 PM
The other posters have reminded me of a concern- when does your dd nap? My ds's 1st b-day party ran way longer than intended and ran through nap time. That equaled a fussy b-day boy. No fun.

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Ditto c99.

That's a lot of party for a one-year old. She probably won't enjoy much of it.

jetrlw
06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Still weighing options...

BeachBum
06-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Honestly? I don't think it's right to throw a birthday party for your child and ask other people to bring food. \

I agree totally. I would either do it in the morning and serve bagels and the usual suspects (salmon, cc, capers, onions,tomatoes etc) with some fruit or in the afternoon 2-5ish. That way people don't expect more than a light snack or cake.

I also think it would be fine if you made something, packaged it up securely and asked your closest friend or grandma to carry it on the ferry if you had too much to carry.

Even if you say "no gifts" people will still bring gifts. They wont look at food as a trade off for a gift. As for your "stations" I think it sounds like a good idea depending on the ages of the other children. If most of them are also 1, I think it is overkill. Cute, but a lot of work for you that won't be taken advantage of.

Most birthday parties we attend are 2 hours. Some have only been an hour. 30 minutes of play, cake and presents.

jetrlw
06-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Thank you all for your input. Very helpful. I had a lot that I had not considered. After much dilemma I have figured out the 1st birthday party plans. I will provide the food (picnic stlye- deli sandwiches for the adults, lunchables for the kids, chips and juice). Each person will get a "nice" bagged lunch they can choose from. They can take their bagged lunch and sit on a blanket and enjoy the meal al fresco! We will serve cupcakes as that is easier than cake.

As for the entertainment- since the kids will be between the ages of 1-3 years old, I will have 3 "activity stations" (storytime, balls/bubbles and music). The party will be around lunch time as we are serving lunch food
12pm-2pm. My DD usually naps around 3pm so we should be wrapping up as she is winding down. My friends DC all have different nap times so there is no way to work around that one. Will just have to see.

BTW- I have recruited family members to help carry the food. Everyone is more than willing to help out.

new_mommy25
06-12-2008, 04:51 AM
Thank you all for your input. Very helpful. I had a lot that I had not considered. After much dilemma I have figured out the 1st birthday party plans. I will provide the food (picnic stlye- deli sandwiches for the adults, lunchables for the kids, chips and juice). Each person will get a "nice" bagged lunch they can choose from. They can take their bagged lunch and sit on a blanket and enjoy the meal al fresco! We will serve cupcakes as that is easier than cake.

As for the entertainment- since the kids will be between the ages of 1-3 years old, I will have 3 "activity stations" (storytime, balls/bubbles and music). The party will be around lunch time as we are serving lunch food
12pm-2pm. My DD usually naps around 3pm so we should be wrapping up as she is winding down. My friends DC all have different nap times so there is no way to work around that one. Will just have to see.

BTW- I have recruited family members to help carry the food. Everyone is more than willing to help out.

I think that sounds like a great time. I'm sure your DD will love her party. :)

egoldber
06-12-2008, 07:02 AM
It sounds very fun! :) No party or time will work for everyone, so you do what you can.

clc053103
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I actually love the bagged picnic lunch idea! Have a great time!

elephantmeg
06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
I've just gotten an invitation for a friend's sons 2nd b-day-bring a side dish to our party. It rubbed me the wrong way. We're going and I'm bringing a dish, but I don't think I should have to...