PDA

View Full Version : Schwan's Food Delivery?

bluestarfish18
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Has anyone tried using Schwan's Food Home Delivery service? They came by our door today insisting I stuff my mouth with their yummy ice cream bars..I "reluctantly" complied, and now I'm drooling over their catalog.

Are they worth the price? Is the quality any good? Do they charge additional shipping?

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
The family I babysat for in jr. high, high school and college used them and I liked it. But, that was a while ago. ;) I would be interested in reading their ingredient and nutrition labels. It was conveient to have all that food on hand without the leg work for the parents, so the parents said.

Beth

jamesmom
06-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I get Schwans deliveries twice a month. They are pricey but really convenient, and it's great to have it in the freezer. I usually get some or all of the following:
- Popcorn shrimp and Cod Nuggets (My DC love them, and it's really convenient for dinner or lunch)
- Filet Mignon and New York Strip Steaks (very pricey, but they are very tender and it's convenient to have in the freezer. We grill a couple of steaks and then slice them thin. The kids and DS love it)
- Mediterranean vegetable blend (great for stir fry, curries or casseroles)
- Waffles (great for breakfast on the go)
- Bacon, egg & cheese toastwiches (great for breakfast on the go)
I think their quality is superior to the frozen food available in my supermarket. Even the waffles taste better tham the ones I make. They do charge $1 for home delivery in my area.

deannanb
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
we used to use them, but it just got to the point where it was easier to get everything at once at the store.

We loved their mac and cheese and the Chicken Kiev -
Chicken french fries were a hit too (chicken that looked like french fries)

sugar snap peas were another hit in our house -
the pot roasts were easy and DS and DH enjoyed them.
I always asked our driver what he suggested - most of the time it was good.

I don't think they charged for delivery in our area.

Try them for a few meals and see what you think - if you don't like it, then call the 800 number and tell them you don't want to use them any more. I've always found customer service to be helpful!

our driver was very nice - he would carry everything inside for us - and had I had the freezer ready for the deliver, he would have put it right in there. I just had him put it on the table and I'd rearrange everything to fit.

o_mom
06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
I know people who have used them. When I looked over the selection, I found them to be pricey but not too bad on some things. It really varied - one item might be close to warehouse club pricing and something else might be 2-3 times the cost. Kind of like 'Market Day' that the schools do - some OK deals and some overpriced.. I did find it hard to find anything that was healthy. Most stuff had much more fat and sodium than we wanted.

Joolsplus2
06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Our guy comes every other Friday and if DH is home he spends about $80, if I'm home, I might buy some frozen pizzas (the self rising crust ones are *fantastic*)... I like the meat (comes in nice little packages, so I don't buy a lot then freeze it poorly and end up with wasted meat...), and the veggies and fruits... my kids like the mini pizzas...some of the soups are good, but small portions. The $1 delivery charge is pretty new, I guess gas prices are forcing everyone to tack on extra fees :(. The icecream is really high quality (it's solid because they don't blend air into it like most brands at the store, is what they told me..it just means you need a very powerful ice cream scoop, lol).

hellokitty
06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Ordering some of this stuff for a mom who has recently given birth would be an awesome baby gift, lol!