PDA

View Full Version : Looking for people experienced with colored pencils

KBecks
06-11-2008, 08:31 AM
OK, Alek starts Montessori and he needs 24 colored pencils. The school specifies Prismacolor or Prang. I went to an art store that has Prismacolor Premier in a tin (which may be good for storage for him), but I see other varieties too at a lot of price points.

I want to get him something that will take a lot of use, color easily, and just be good for a 3.5 year old. I see some are labeled as nontoxic but I don't expect Alek to eat his pencils or to be allowed to.

What pencils have you used or like?

This looks like a nice set too
http://www.discountofficeitems.com/prismacolor-scholar-colored-woodcase-pencils-assorted-colorsset-san92805-office-products-48233.html?ref=froogle

brittone2
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
We don't own any of these particular brands (yet) but I've also heard good things about Lyra and Ferby (the Ferby ones have a triangular grip IIRC).

eta: We have some by eeboo and they are okay.

MontrealMum
06-11-2008, 10:04 AM
When I was in Montessori (many years ago now) we exclusively used Prismacolor. You might want to stick with what the school recommends. Montessori is very into color-coding and if the green he uses for place value in math, for example, or the orange he uses for adverbs is off, that might be a problem. Sounds nuts, I know, but you might want to check how strict that is before you go off and buy something different. Pencils were provided for me when I was in school, but if they're not for your DS, I can see the school wanting everyone to have the same thing. Are they for coloring (like art drawing) or for work? If they're for doing work definitely check with the school.

KBecks
06-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Well he's going to be in Children's House, so 3-6 year olds. I have seen them doing the maps with the colored pencils on our tour.

I have no problem getting Prismacolor except they have a few varieties to choose from and that's what I'm struggling with.

-- Premier
http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Color-Pencil-Set-Metal/dp/B000GL5CMY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1213194175&sr=8-8

Here's another set with some reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Premier-Colored-Woodcase-Assorted/dp/B000C6RCD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1213194320&sr=1-1

-- Verithin (I don't think this is what we need and it is specified for older grade levels on the supply sheet)
http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Verithin-Art-24-Color-Pencil/dp/B000AMYSOM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1213194120&sr=8-2

-- Scholar
http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-92805-Scholar-Woodcase-Assorted/dp/B000J07P9U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1213194175&sr=8-7

I like this box

I was near an art store yesterday and they only have the Premier pencils. I bought a set of 12 not realizing that we need 24, so I can go exchange. Or I'm thinking I may bust open the set of 12 to play with at home over the summer and see how I like them.

I did email the admissions person to see what they suggest. I don't think they care that much since they say Prismacolor or Prang. I want Alek to have materials that are easy to work with.

I'm also checking to see if he needs a backpack. I'm a geek, I love school shopping and I'm ahead of schedule.

MontrealMum
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
He will be using colored pencils for maps, math (bead chain), letter sounds, and I can't remember what else. I'd hope that these would be provided by the school considering tuition, and that you're just looking for art supplies. I love getting supplies too, so I can totally relate :) I like the Prismacolor brand myself, but Caran d'ache is popular us here too. I also like how the ones you've tagged above come in metal boxes - easy to keep track of!

salsah
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
i love prismacolor for my own personal use. (at least i did when i had time to draw.) if that is what the school reccomends, i would get it.

egoldber
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
FYI, you can buy Prismacolor pencils at Michaels and use the 40% off coupons. :)

Ceepa
06-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Prang is sold at AC Moore, I think.

KBecks
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
FYI, you can buy Prismacolor pencils at Michaels and use the 40% off coupons. :)

Oooooohhhh! I have a hard time getting my hands on coupons but I will search some out!

KBecks
06-11-2008, 02:12 PM
He will be using colored pencils for maps, math (bead chain), letter sounds, and I can't remember what else. I'd hope that these would be provided by the school considering tuition, and that you're just looking for art supplies. I love getting supplies too, so I can totally relate :) I like the Prismacolor brand myself, but Caran d'ache is popular us here too. I also like how the ones you've tagged above come in metal boxes - easy to keep track of!

LOL, the school does not provide pencils. Maybe they put all the pencils into communal use, I don't know for sure how it works.

I bused open the 12 pack of Prismacolor Premier and they are great, so I think we'll get that for school.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
LOL, the school does not provide pencils. Maybe they put all the pencils into communal use, I don't know for sure how it works.

Public school K teacher here - If they were specific, I'd get exactly what they said. If you don't know where to buy it, call and ask. They probably know where you should look for them.

We liked having the consistency of the same brand when things were in communal use. It just made life easier.

ett
06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I've seen both Prang and Prismacolor color pencils at AC Moore. (and also use the 40% off coupons.)

kk
06-22-2008, 09:00 AM
our school uses prismacolor. We never had to buy them; they were included in tuition.

I'm a little sad; this will be the first year in a long time that I haven't had a child in Montessori (until out son starts next year). A HUGE thumbs up on the MOntessori program; our kids did extremely well with it.

kedss
06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Karen-

Prismacolors are a much better pencil than Prang, and are great for map coloring, the pigments are much stronger.