PDA

View Full Version : DADDY pics- You made it look/sound so easy!

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 01:46 PM
It's been about 3 hours since I had the dreaded DADDY pic photo attempt. I'm still recovering! I need about 10 of these :54: and I'll be good to go! Anyone know where I can get a vodka IV?!

My friend and I decided we'd do this together, to help each other out. She came over this morning and we headed outside to get things done. HA! The first couple shots went well- DS. Then it went downhill FAST!!! DD would not cooperate and then started throwing a tantrum. DS decided it was funny to stop listening. My friend's DDs were no better. By the end we were giving the kids Oreo cookies and milk and attempting to get some more shots in! I'm going with one of those of DD's b/c it's such a classic picture of her- a mouth full of food and a drink in her hand!

Here's what I decided to go with. Not great, but it will do. Luckily I just bought a small accordian style fame from Target, so it's not that expensive of a project. Mabye next year will be better...maybe!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/CJLM/DSC_4993.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/CJLM/DSC_5033.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/CJLM/DSC_4988.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/CJLM/DSC_5021.jpg http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/CJLM/DSC_4998.jpg

ShanaMama
06-11-2008, 01:51 PM
I think those pics are really cute. They don't have to be perfect poses. I bet your DH will love it.

ETA: My fav is the one of your DD smashing DS's face. How cute!

rlu
06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Cute pix.

I decided the first year that each picture would be taken at a different place with different clothes - a very casual look BUT it allows me to start taking the pictures around May so when DS becomes uncooperative I can stop the picture session.

For example - the first D may be taken on our porch in early May, the A at my folks yesterday, the next D at the park last week, the last D at the zoo tomorrow, the Y in his bedroom two weeks ago.

There is definitely something to be said about the classic look of the kid(s) in the same clothes, same setting - more formal - but I don't envy the hassle that entails for some.

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Cute pix.

I decided the first year that each picture would be taken at a different place with different clothes - a very casual look BUT it allows me to start taking the pictures around May so when DS becomes uncooperative I can stop the picture session.

For example - the first D may be taken on our porch in early May, the A at my folks yesterday, the next D at the park last week, the last D at the zoo tomorrow, the Y in his bedroom two weeks ago.

There is definitely something to be said about the classic look of the kid(s) in the same clothes, same setting - more formal - but I don't envy the hassle that entails for some.

That's a good idea. I'll have to remember that for next year. I do have a few days left, and I have the letters, but I kind of just wanted to get it done. I was planning on having them all outside, by the trees, so that was already squashed when I had to take some inside and some on the deck. I was thinking I'd get all my great shots at one time. It took about an hour to get the ones I got! I'm exhausted from the fiasco, so I'll just stick with these this year and be more casual about it next year!

calv
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I think those are awesome!!!!!!! I've yet to do mine and I"m dreading it. but since I've done it 4 years in a row I just can't stop this year, LOL.

where did you get the letters?

JTsMom
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I did them when Jason had just turned one and had just learned to walk. OMG, what a project! I didn't think either of us would survive it. It was about 100 degrees outside, his hair was plastered to his head, he kept ripping off his shoes, etc. I seriously think I took about 250 shots trying to get anything decent. I haven't attempted it again since then. LOL

jerigirl
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
This year is my first attempt at doing this project and so far it isn't going so well. DS just wants to hold the camera or take pictures with it himself. He thinks it is funny to throw the letters. (They are big too!) He doesn't want anything to do with them :nono: I have a few more days so we will see if it gets done...

niccig
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
The Y shot of DS was him running down the garden path and I tucked the Y into the back waistband of his pants. He was 1.5 yo. I have not attempted it again as at 3.5 yo he wouldn't be any better.

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I think those are awesome!!!!!!! I've yet to do mine and I"m dreading it. but since I've done it 4 years in a row I just can't stop this year, LOL.

where did you get the letters?

I got mine at Michaels. I left the stickers on and am seriously considering returning them! Maybe I'll buy them again next year and try again, but I kind of want them out of sight, out of mind right now!

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
The Y shot of DS was him running down the garden path and I tucked the Y into the back waistband of his pants. He was 1.5 yo. I have not attempted it again as at 3.5 yo he wouldn't be any better.

That's funny! I have several of DD rolling around on the ground throwing her tantrum. I'd throw the letter in front of her and snap a few shots before she'd pick it up and throw it back at me. I also have a couple of her holding the letter, mid scream with tears rolling down her cheeks, ready to chuck the letter. I was considering putting one of those in, but went with the selection above instead!

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
This sounds like a ton of fun (or something *scratching head*), and since I don't yet have a gift, I wonder if I could swing it at the beach on Saturday with my DC and a niece as a helper...

Maybe I should just buy something instead. The idea of throwing the letters next to a tantrum-thrower just seems like it would really capture things for us right now :ROTFLMAO:

pastrygirl
06-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Awww, those came out great!! It sounds like how my portrait session went, too. My son wanted NOTHING to do with taking pictures or holding the letters. He was crying and throwing tantrums. I kept giving up! Then in one shot, he was throwing a letter at me. The picture came out great! So I told him to throw the letters and it turned into a game. Eventually he let me take pictures with him picking up a letter (just before throwing), etc.

I got that accordian frame, too. For some reason my wallet size prints were too short so I had to put some black cardstock behind the photos. Just a warning! I think Winkflash messed up and printed them with white borders even though I requested no white borders.

calv
06-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I got mine at Michaels. I left the stickers on and am seriously considering returning them! Maybe I'll buy them again next year and try again, but I kind of want them out of sight, out of mind right now!

how much were the letters? what size are they and are they painted? i'm on a mission to find the letter? for the last few years I've bene using the floor mat (rubber) letters but the white looks a lot nicer :D

MommyAllison
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
I think they are super cute. :) I did DS's pictures this morning, and am waiting for the sun to come out to do DD's outside. DS is only 6 weeks so he did great - it was DD running circles around him, sticking extra letters in the pictures, etc that made it stressful. I am dreading doing hers as she informed me she won't take pictures with the letters. Last year was difficult enough!

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I got that accordian frame, too. For some reason my wallet size prints were too short so I had to put some black cardstock behind the photos. Just a warning! I think Winkflash messed up and printed them with white borders even though I requested no white borders.

When I printed out the pictures on my computer- just on plain paper to decide which I wanted to use- they fit just fine. I ordered the wallet size through Snapfish and picked them up at Walgreens this afternoon. They are too small, too- So frustrating! I just turned the paper in it around to have a white border, but I can't get it even. I just decided to leave it as it and once DH opens it we'll figure out how to make it right! He just better love it!!!

LarsMal
06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
how much were the letters? what size are they and are they painted? i'm on a mission to find the letter? for the last few years I've bene using the floor mat (rubber) letters but the white looks a lot nicer :D

They were either $2.99 each, 9 inches, already painted!

calv
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
They were either $2.99 each, 9 inches, already painted!

off to michaels I go tomorrow. WISH me LUCK! :) anyone know if they have 5 slot frames at michaels? or is target/kohls my best bet?

mezzona
06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
i wonder if the daddies know how hard those pictures are to take!!! what a gift. great idea =)

:bighand: for all of you doing it!!

m448
06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm with you - I just tried the DAD pics yesterday (no way was I going for a full on DADDY with my crew) and I was ready to pull my hair out after only an hour. But once I put the pics in the frame today it was totally worth it. Though next year we'll work on it one letter at a time like someone else suggested. Here's ours - I put it in a 3 slot black frame so they really pop:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/IMG_3426.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/IMG_3641.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/marielle448/IMG_3615.jpg

doberbrat
06-11-2008, 08:03 PM
*LOL* I did Grandma for mother's day and Daddy ... between the 2 sets, I shot over 400 shots. (2 sessions)

it helps to have a chair etc for the child to sit and a tripod (thats what I learned from last years set)

ironically, w/all those shots, when I put the picture together melded into 1 shot and sent it off to the printers to be printed onto a tshirt, I overlooked 1 small detail the 2 'd's in daddy were the SAME shot. and NO ONE pointed it out when I showed it off on antoher board! *LOL*

lablover
06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
off to michaels I go tomorrow. WISH me LUCK! :) anyone know if they have 5 slot frames at michaels? or is target/kohls my best bet?

I was at Michael's today and didn't see any 5 slot frames (I bought letters and a 3 slot accordian type frame to do DAD pics). A couple of years ago when I did the DADDY pics I bought a 5 slot frame at Target (for wallet size pics.)

ellies mom
06-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I love how your pictures came out. They totally brought a smile to my face.

I'm hoping the weather gets warm enough this week so I can take ours. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute huh? I wanted Audrey to get a little less lump like.

firsttimemama
06-11-2008, 11:09 PM
found 5 slot 4x6 at BB&B

LarsMal
06-12-2008, 08:27 AM
I love how your pictures came out. They totally brought a smile to my face.

I'm hoping the weather gets warm enough this week so I can take ours. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute huh? I wanted Audrey to get a little less lump like.

Thanks!
I don't know if I missed the announcement of your little one- just wanted to say I LOVE the name Audrey! DH and I have always had that on our short list. Probably won't ever get around to using it! Congrats!