PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tabletop Owners: A Question, Please!

Wife_and_mommy
06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
What thickness is your glass? The co. I'm speaking with is recommending less than I saw online. Not sure what to believe. The price difference is significant so want to choose wisely.

Also, are your dc's okay with it? I know we'll have to have talks about behaving appropriately around the glass.

Thanks for your thoughts!

ETA: I'm wondering if I should go with plexiglass even though it won't look nearly as nice. It's probably cheaper too. I really prefer the glass though.

hellokitty
06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Is this for a dinette or a coffee table? We have both, and the smudges are REALLY annoying, BUT the good thing about glass is that you can clean it (whereas if we got wood, I would be infuriated that my kids scratched it up and drew on it). Our tables are all rod iron and the glass sits in a frame, and it doesn't look that thick to me. I think if you get a pedestal and want to have a glass top, that is probably where you would need to get thicker glass and honestly I would feel nervous about little kids around a glass pedestal (non-frame) table. I know my kids would destroy it in five min flat.

sidmand
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
We have a glass kitchen table. I'm not thrilled that we have it, but we had it before DS was born and I didn't think about it at first. I'm not sure how thick it is though. It was whatever came on the set at the time.

DS has actually been fine with it. It does get dirty easily, but it also cleans easily. And DS can see all the food he's dropped on the floor through it!

I do hope to get a wooden one soonish though. We've had this set for 10+ years and with two DCs I'm thinking I'd rather not have the glass. But again, so far (knock on wood) it hasn't been bad at all.

Not sure if that helps at all. I tried to find a picture online, but we bought this years ago and maybe they don't make anything similar anymore!

Wife_and_mommy
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Ack. Sorry. This is to cover a wooden dining table that I don't want mangled by kidddos. ;)

I appreciate your responses, though.:)