PDA

View Full Version : Plastic cereal storage containers - safe? nice?

KBecks
06-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I am thinking of putting our cereal into plastic storage type boxes. I'm assuming this type of dry storage would be fine even though the BPA plastic concerns (it's a different type).

Any thoughts on that? My boys have been dumping out the cereal bags, and I think it would be nicer for storage anyway. Do you like a certain type? Tupperware, Rubbermaid, other?

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I wanted the Tupperware ones, but didn't catch them during their 1/2 off sale. They seemed so $$ full-price. At Sam's, they were selling Rice Krispies in a large handled container with an easy flip top lid. We got 2 of those just to test having containers in general. We REALLY like having them as the cabinet is so clean and organized! Hopefully I'll be able to find some comfy, nice, large, inexpensive and safe ones to replace these after reading the replies here.

hellokitty
06-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I have an old rubbermaid one, from like 10+ yrs ago. I have no clue whether it is safe or not. However, I will tell you that it does not, "seal" in the freshness. The cereal does go stale if it is not finished in a certain amt of time. I think that the snap-lock containers would be what I would get if I ever want to get containers specifically for cereal. For now, I don't give my kids access to the box, b/c they are still little, so I have just stuck to the box and rolling up the baggie inside.

niccig
06-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I got these from the container store.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74063&PRODID=10021672

The small container fits a regular box of cereal.
The large container fits a large box of cereal.

They've kept the freshness in. DH bought chocolate rice krispies, and neither DS or I eat them. 5 months later, DH had a bowl and said it was still fine.

I don't know if polypropylene is good plastic or not? I don't wash it in the dishwasher. It's just for cereal storage.

Nicci

theCAS
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I like these OXO ones from Bed, Bath, and Beyond:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=112111&RN=204

I use them for cereal, flour, sugar, powdered sugar, etc ...

DrSally
06-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a rubbermaid one from Walmart that is safe plastic, I believe, and pretty big. Size is important b/c if you get a little one it won't even fit a small box of cereal, and we get the big bags.

luvmypeanut
06-12-2008, 08:51 PM
I love the OXO ones. I bought a bunch of them when I was battling ants and my cabinets look like they were organized by a very anal person. We have frosted glass on the doors so they look especially nice.

MontrealMum
06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
It's my understanding that anything new from Rubbermaid is "safe" plastic. I can't speak to older things though. I checked out their site because we have all our cereal, crackers and cookies in Rubbermaid containers since we live on the water and have a problem with damp and bugs.

KBecks
06-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I love the OXO ones. I bought a bunch of them when I was battling ants and my cabinets look like they were organized by a very anal person. We have frosted glass on the doors so they look especially nice.

LOL well anal organized cabinets would make my DH happy! I'll have to save the coupons that come in the mail and go check those out.

new_mommy25
06-14-2008, 04:47 AM
I have a bunch a got years ago at the drugstore. I don't know what they are. Rubbermaid? Steralite? Anyhoo, I love them. It keeps the cereal so fresh.

mominjune
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
we got these from Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90066708

Inexpensive, BPA free (polypropylene)

My just turned 4 year old uses them fine. It fits a regular size box of cereal, but not big enough for bigger boxes of cereal. The only thing I wish they would change is an option to keep the lid flipped open. Sometimes the lid closes while you are pouring the cereal so you have to use the other hand to keep it open (hard to do when you have a baby in one arm)