PDA

View Full Version : Renting a Baby Scale

Raidra
06-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I've heard of people renting one of those super accurate scales so they can weigh baby before and after nursing. I had HUGE supply issues with my boys and I think being able to get an idea of how much my new baby is getting would be really helpful. Anyone know where to rent one of those scales?

Thanks!

nov04
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Lactation consultant would be my first guess. GL

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Yup, our hospital Lactation Dept. suggested an indep. LC in the area who rents them out.

ALSO...BRU is now renting pumps??!! I don't think they'd rent scales, but it may be worth asking. Seems like they wouldn't do that as it's kinda "practicing without a license," but they may.

lorinick
06-11-2008, 03:32 PM
They sell a good scale a BRU. I've never heard of any one renting them. I use to go to a Lactation meeting once a week. They had a great scale that I use to use weekly.

cleo27
06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I've heard of people renting one of those super accurate scales so they can weigh baby before and after nursing. I had HUGE supply issues with my boys and I think being able to get an idea of how much my new baby is getting would be really helpful. Anyone know where to rent one of those scales?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer but wanted to say Congratulations on the arrival of your baby! Fiona is a beautiful name!! :) Hope all went well with the delivery.

mamabelle
06-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Lactation Consultants, some hospitals, surgical supply stores all may rent them.

lorinick
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Yup, our hospital Lactation Dept. suggested an indep. LC in the area who rents them out.

ALSO...BRU is now renting pumps??!! I don't think they'd rent scales, but it may be worth asking. Seems like they wouldn't do that as it's kinda "practicing without a license," but they may.

BRU dosn't rent scales. They are now renting pumps but that's it. Medela Pumps only.

DrSally
06-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I would also check a LC or hospital. I think that would be very reassuring for you, esp. in the beginning.

aa2mama
06-11-2008, 05:10 PM
The Medela website has a search function where you can find the nearest place that rents baby scales:

http://medela.findlocation.com/

HTH!

julieakc
06-12-2008, 03:18 AM
The Medela website has a search function where you can find the nearest place that rents baby scales:

http://medela.findlocation.com/

HTH!

This is what I used to find a rental place when I needed to rent a scale when DS came home from the NICU with severe feeding issues.

If you think you will want/need the scale more than a couple of weeks you might want to consider just buying one.

I spent about $130 on rental fees for approximately 2 months before I just bought one. I paid just under $100 for one on ebay (brand new one) that has been used regularly for 4 years now and works great. DS always weighs the same when we go to the doctor (with expected differences for clothing, time of day, etc.). I also use the scale for estimating shipping costs of packages and it always weighs the same as when I go to the Post Office.

The one I bought is accurate to within an ounce. The rental one was a bit fancier....it might have been accurate to within half an ounce and if I recall correctly it had a memory function for the pre-feed weighing to compare to the post-feed weighing, but you can easily accomplish this by just jotting the pre-feed weight down.

If you're interested tomorrow I can get the brand/model # for you....It's in DS's room.

WatchingThemGrow
06-12-2008, 08:09 AM
This is what I used to find a rental place when I needed to rent a scale when DS came home from the NICU with severe feeding issues.

If you think you will want/need the scale more than a couple of weeks you might want to consider just buying one.

I spent about $130 on rental fees for approximately 2 months before I just bought one. I paid just under $100 for one on ebay (brand new one) that has been used regularly for 4 years now and works great. DS always weighs the same when we go to the doctor (with expected differences for clothing, time of day, etc.). I also use the scale for estimating shipping costs of packages and it always weighs the same as when I go to the Post Office.

The one I bought is accurate to within an ounce. The rental one was a bit fancier....it might have been accurate to within half an ounce and if I recall correctly it had a memory function for the pre-feed weighing to compare to the post-feed weighing, but you can easily accomplish this by just jotting the pre-feed weight down.

If you're interested tomorrow I can get the brand/model # for you....It's in DS's room.

Brilliant! I probably spent that much also renting for both babies when they weren't gaining and we were trying to supplement only as much as they needed.

brittone2
06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
DS was a super fast nurser (like 2-5 mins and done!). I really stressed over trying to keep him awake and nursing, etc. My midwife eventually calmed me down at my 2 week visit because he was gaining like a horse. (I had overactive letdown and didn't realize it at the time, which in retrospect explains why he was able to fill up so quickly).

After a few days (or maybe 2 weeks?) of nursing I had DH buy a scale at BRU and promised myself that if he was doing okay w/ his weight I'd stop torturing him to wake up/stay awake. I think our scale was $100 or so at BRU. It has always been accurate in terms of DC weighing the same when they were weighed at the doctor's office, etc.

JBaxter
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I have one for Nathan I got from Amazon. It goes to 60lbs for toddlers but has the infant tray that weighs to the 1/2 oz. It was onsale for alike $50. I checked it weighing several items with marked weights and it is pretty accurate