PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk newborn medications again?

KBecks
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
OK, I have followed past threads on newborn treatments, etc. so I asked my OB office to find out what the hospital I plan to deliver at does.

Here's the list:
-- Vitamin K
-- erythromicin (that's the eye ointment right? they put it on two lines but I think it's one thing)
-- Hep B shot is optional
-- Tylenol PO for circumcision if done

OK, we're not circumcising, I'm skipping the Hep B and we're doing the Vitamin K shot.

I want to call and ask the Labor and Delivery folks questions about what they do -- can you help me come up with the right questions? Here's what I'm thinking.

I want to know when the infant metabolic screen is done

I want to know when the Vit K shot is done

I want to know if I can opt out of the eye ointment and I'm going to push them about that if they say I can't. I could choose another hospital to deliver at or at least check out how they compare.

I think that's it. What is a PO by the way? I'm curious because DS1 was circ'd at this hospital. Maybe I don't want to know.

I remember at this hospital getting to breastfeed pretty quickly, being able to hold the baby quickly, DH in the OR and the anesthesiologist was so nice he took pictures for us.

What else should I ask about? Thanks!

ShanaMama
06-11-2008, 05:03 PM
IIRC PO means by mouth. Nothing too gruesome! ;)

shilo
06-11-2008, 06:26 PM
can't help with most of your list, but can confirm the acronym...

PO is usually "by mouth" (altho, i have seen docs use it for a patient that has an NG, G or J tube into the stomach or upper intestine too) so essentially by route of the upper gut. this would be specified the same way you might see a med prescribed by IV (intravenous), Sub Q (sub-cutaneous, aka an injection under the skin) or suppository (you get the picture ;)).

if you see the letters PRN following a med order it means "as needed"
QD would be 1x per day, BID would be twice per day, TID would be three times a day - but most facilities i've worked in recently ask docs to skip these in favor of spelling it out (ie. "3x per day by mouth"), i think to help avoid medication errors.

hth, lori

american_mama
06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
They'll probably also do a newborn hearing screen. I've had this done two different ways, once with stickers on the head and a machine to read brain waves or something in response to sound (terrible explanation, but that's what I recall). WIth DS, I think they just used something like an ear thermometer to see if sound bounced correctly in his ear or something; it took about 3 minutes (the person was done before I'd come out of using the toilet) which didn't stop it from being billed for $49 to our insurance, so I think the procedure is a bit of a crock even if the intentions are sound.

Ha ha. Bit of a pun there.

Sorry to go off on a tangent!

luv2bmommy
06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
The first metabolic screen or (or PKU) is generally done at the hospital, then repeated in 1 week to 10 days after discharge, at baby's first visit at the pediatrician.
Definitely ask for the hearing screen, and I would recommend getting copies of the results for everything, to share with the pediatrician.

Wife_and_mommy
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
OK, I have followed past threads on newborn treatments, etc. so I asked my OB office to find out what the hospital I plan to deliver at does.

Here's the list:
-- Vitamin K
-- erythromicin (that's the eye ointment right? they put it on two lines but I think it's one thing)
-- Hep B shot is optional
-- Tylenol PO for circumcision if done

OK, we're not circumcising, I'm skipping the Hep B and we're doing the Vitamin K shot.

I want to call and ask the Labor and Delivery folks questions about what they do -- can you help me come up with the right questions? Here's what I'm thinking.

I want to know when the infant metabolic screen is done

I want to know when the Vit K shot is done

I want to know if I can opt out of the eye ointment and I'm going to push them about that if they say I can't. I could choose another hospital to deliver at or at least check out how they compare.

I think that's it. What is a PO by the way? I'm curious because DS1 was circ'd at this hospital. Maybe I don't want to know.

I remember at this hospital getting to breastfeed pretty quickly, being able to hold the baby quickly, DH in the OR and the anesthesiologist was so nice he took pictures for us.

What else should I ask about? Thanks!

-The eye ointment is used on all babies in case some of their moms have STD's. If you don't have STD's, you can skip it. You/DH might have to be vigilant that they don't do it out of habit/custom and be ready to refuse consent.(insert almost-certain attitude from medical personnel)

-They do the metabolic screen just before you leave the hospital. Baby needs to have digested BM for 48 or 72 hrs.(sorry, can't remember) for this to be accurate. You might be in the hospital long enough for this to happen. If not, I'd also refuse it and have it done at the appropriate time at the ped's office. I got serious heat from the nurse because they thought I was refusing it. I only wanted to delay it but it's the same in their eyes.

-The vit. K is done just after the birth.

For the non-circ..have/will you discuss with DH to keep a close eye on baby? I've heard of nurses trying to retract, etc. It's one of the things that concerns me if we have another DS(we won't circ)and having to watch anyone who might change a diaper and doesn't know to leave it alone....

Was this helpful? I hope so.:) Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info I might have missed.

ShanaMama
06-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Bumping this up because I've been watching for more responses! You reminded me to ask about the standards at my hospital. Turns out they do the eye ointment & Vitamin K within an hour after birth unless you decline. I'll decline the eye ointment but can someone remind me what the Vitamin K is for?
You may also want to ask about HIV screening. It may depend on the law in your state. My hospital doesn't test the baby if the mom has been tested. I see no reason for my baby to get heel-stuck if not necessary so wanted to avoid that one.