PDA

View Full Version : Can you make your own muslin swaddling blankets?

Neatfreak
06-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Has anyone bought muslin fabric and hemmed it to make blankets? I noticed that these rather pricey ones

http://www.adenandanais.com/unisex-wraps.html

seem like a good match for the hot and humid climate I live in now (more so than the flannel ones I used for my first kiddo), but I am not too keen on how expensive they are.

Is muslin fabric hard to find? Expensive? Only come in boring colours?

I appreciate all input! Thanks!

lowrioh
06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I am making some flannel and cotton knit swaddling blankets at the moment and it is dead easy.
With Muslin, you will probably have to be more careful about fraying and should probably use a serger or the zig-zag stitch. I would go to craftster.org and ask in their baby gift or sewing forums.
I've only seen bleached (white) and unbleached (beige) muslin in stores. If you get 90" fabric, then you could make 2 45" square swaddle blankets from 1 1/4 yards so about $10. If the fabric is on sale it would be less.
Have you thought about using a light cotton knit like a t-shirt material?

Neatfreak
06-13-2008, 04:34 AM
My big pre-baby splurge was a Pfaff serger, so I made all of my DD's receiving blankets four years ago, and had a lot of fun practicing different types of hems! I don't think I'd have the patience to hem with a regular sewing machine any more :)

Thanks for suggesting Craftster - I have to admit that don't lurk there very often!

Looking for cotton knit is a good idea as well - thanks! I think that the stretch will be good for the copies of the Miracle Blanket that I'd like to try out!

new_mommy25
06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Muslin is cheap! You can even buy it at Walmart. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.