PDA

View Full Version : Help with Thermometer purchase

VidyaParanjape
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Need help with deciding on which thermometer to purchase. I see Braun's as Mom's favorite in buybuybaby.com site..

Not comfortable with rectal thermometer hence wont be getting that.

:confused:

smiley525
06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
You'll have to have a rectal for the first few months, look for one that is quick read 7 seconds that is key.

luv2bmommy
06-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I would also recommend a rectal, it's the most accurate and the fastest (I've heard 8 sec), and once you learn how to use it, you'd really appreciate the peace of mind that you've got the most accurate temp. and the ease of use. It also acts as a stimulant for stooling, in case the baby gets constipated:). You can just put some olive oil to lube it up:)

Piglet
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Okay, I survived 3 newborns without once using rectal thermometre. I can't do it and have never done it. I was pretty good about getting temps with a Braun Thermoscan. I am surprised the rectal thermometres are SO much superior. I also think that a child's activity level/crankiness level/etc. is a better indicator of a problem than the number on a thermometre.

joyful mommy
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
You might check with your pediatrician and see what they recommend/prefer. Generally, the nurse at the hospital or one at your pediatricians office will show you how to take the rectal temp right from the start.

That said, the nurse in the hospital nursery showed me how to do it, then said that they recommend that only a trained medical professional do that. I found out quickly that my pediatrician disagreed and was surprised by that comment. They not only preferred parents use the rectal method in the beginning, but also felt that the ear thermometers and forehead patch methods were often inaccurate.

See what your ped. recommends....

BabyMine
06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
We have this one http://www.exergen.com/medical/TAT/tatconsumerpage.htm
and have had no problems. The only thing our ped told us is that you have to pass it over a certain part of the head to have it read right. I couldn't do rectal with DS1 becasue he was born without an anus so this is what we relied on.

awoodm
06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
We have this one http://www.exergen.com/medical/TAT/tatconsumerpage.htm
and have had no problems. The only thing our ped told us is that you have to pass it over a certain part of the head to have it read right. I couldn't do rectal with DS1 becasue he was born without an anus so this is what we relied on.

We have this one also, and I love it. It is quick and very accurate. I would try it several times on yourself or your DH to get the hang of it. My toddler appriciates it too- makes everything painless which is always a bonus. I got mine at Sams club for $34.

HTH

Anna