PDA

View Full Version : OT- Laser hair removal

ShanaMama
06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
We've had threads in the past about facial hair removal but I don't recall any discussions about laser method. Nothing else has worked well & I'm thinking about lasering my sideburns, chin & dark peach fuzz (sorry if TMI!) My questions are:

1. Does anyone have BTDT experience? Is there any reputable info on the safety/ long term ramifications?

2. How do I find/screen a technician? Is there certification or a license I can ask about?

3. Would you do it during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?

4. Does it hurt?

Thanks!!

jd11365
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I PM'd ya. :wavey:

Twoboos
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I started laser on my lip/chin a few months back. I can answer some of these...

I don't have anything on safety/long term things. IM(uneducated)O, it's been around long enough now and enough people have been doing it so I felt comfortable. I did no research before starting.

I got a recommendation from a friend to go to her place. The techs have their license posted in the spa/laser room. You can also probably check with your state's licensing board too. (I am careful to make sure they are certified, since a friend's XH sells lasers to whoever wants them - for a while he was a travelling laser tech and he has ZERO background in this, and he's a creep. So truly anyone can do it.)

I don't know if I would do it during pg/bf. I probably wouldn't, but that's me. DH would have freaked, I think.

And finally, yes the lip hurt like HELL. I have been waxing for like 15 years, and tweezing, and gave birth twice, and I nearly ran out of the room at the first zap. Now I have a cold pack ready to go and the tech gives me breaks to numb my face. The chin doesn't hurt nearly as much. She said the lip is the most painful part to do. They can give you a numbing cream too, to put on beforehand.

Despite this, I have NO regrets about doing it. It is fabulous not to have to worry about the 'stache after so many years. It's costly, but worth it to me personally. I am considering doing the bikini line in the winter to be set for next summer.

Here's to no facial hair!! :)

CiderLogan
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Just a quick note to say I've had friends say that LHR can be affected by the hormonal shifts of preg/BFing, so I'd wait until after that stage is over before starting.

Good luck!

jayali
06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I recently started to do this. I have had three treatments on my chin, lip and sideburns, about 5 weeks apart and I see a HUGE difference. I have very fair skin and dark hair, which supposedly makes me a great candidate. I think the effectiveness is based on your skin tone and hair color/texture. I have been going to my dermatologist (she was the one that actually convinced me to try it) for my treatments so I can't comment on licenses. I do know that I had a friend that was very seriously burned by laser removal on her arms and legs so please be careful and research the heck out of where you go. I don't find it to be any more painful then waxing. The trick with the lip is to put your tongue between your lip and your teeth. The laser can cause some serious pain to your teeth if it bounces off of them.

You also have to make sure that you have not had any sun prior to treatments so you may want to postpone beginning treatments until after the summer. I like it so much that I am going to do my lower legs and arms come the fall.

ShanaMama
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Going to a dermatologist sounds like a good idea. At least then I know I'm in a professional's hands. I probably wouldn't do lip if it hurts that much. My lip wax is so tolerable. It's the other areas that waxing isn't really an option & I want hair-free permanently.
I asked my midwife her opinion today & she suggested waiting till the baby's born (err on the side of caution). She also brought up the pp point about hormones & hair, so probably makes sense to be back to normal before starting.