PDA

View Full Version : kids passport

lfp2n
06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I suddenly had a small panic attack when I remembered that DDs first passport has just expired this month and I am travelling to the UK on July 31st-thats 7 weeks away. Can I get a new one in time, what is the drill for renewal, can you do it all at the post-office, wasn't there a mess last year and it took 3-4 months? Is there some way of expediting?
Love to hear from someone who has renewed their 5yr olds passport.

TIA

Lucy DD 3/03

KrisM
06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
My brother went in the day before Easter and he, my SIL, and my 2 nephews all applied for their first passports. They received them on the Friday after Easter! Less than 1 full week!

I don't know if that's typical, but I think 7 weeks should be fine these days.

Not all POs do them, but a lot do. Call and see and check the hours, too.

Melbel
06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I renewed my passport and obtained passports for DS and DD1 last May during the peak backlog period. IIRC, it took us about 7 weeks to get the passports, and they arrived literally on the day of our departure. You can print out the application forms online. We went to the post office. Your DD must be with you to renew her passport. We arrived at the PO when it opened, and still had 10 people ahead of us. We paid extra to expedite the processing. On the application, you can indicate your departure date and they should prioritize accordingly. This year should be much better, and it looks like there is a 3-4 week lead time.

Here is the link for the passport application:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

set81616
06-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I just went to the post office for DS last week. They are running 4 weeks for normal and 3 for expedited. Although they seem to be getting them out even quicker. They can take the pictures there for 12 - 15 or CVS for $8. Make sure you have a checkbook. Oh yeah, on the web it says the hours are from 9-3 but it was really 10-3. And make sure you know which post office has a passport office.
Have fun,
Shannon

mmama
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
In December it took 10 days to get my son's first passport. My husband renewed his passport last month and he received it in less than one week! Neither were expedited! That said, if you're going to worry about it then you may want to pay the extra fee. But the passport office seems to be pretty quick (unlike last year).

HTH!

ShanaMama
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I was in the PO recently & heard another customer asking about passports. The clerk said they are definitely not as backlogged as last year. IIRC she said turnaround is about 4 weeks but it could come sooner.

christiedavid3
06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
We just got DS's first passport. We didn't know how long it might take so we got it expedited. We went to the PO on a Friday and got the passport the following Thursday...so less than a week!!! We are in S. Florida though and the passport office is in Miami so it didn't have to go very far. Just a thought, if you do go with the expedited, don't pay for the overnight delivery, it tacks on another $30 or so to the cost.