PDA

View Full Version : Driving across US-Can border-passport needed?

mom2binsd
06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Is a passport absolutely necessary or are they still accepting birth certificate and picture ID??? Specifically if you are driving into Canada and then returning to the US (I'm Canadian, have a valid Green card, my passport was lost and haven't gotten a new one-I know I know- I've procrastinated...and my two kids were born in the US, no passports yet either....(gosh it's going to cost a fortune to get the passports too!!!). The immigration websites for each seemed a little ambiguous...so I was wondering about those that have driven lately..

TIA (a procrastinating mom!)

wendibird22
06-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Adults need two forms of id: usually a picture id and a birth certificate and children need birth certificate.

From the New York State website:
until expected change date of June1,2009,two of the following incombination:one ID document: • Drivers license or ID card issued by federal, state, provincial, county, territory ormunicipal authority• U.S. or Canadian Military ID and one citizenship document: • U.S. or Canadian birth certificate original or copy issued by federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municpal authority• U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad• U.S. Certificate of Naturalization• U.S. Certificate of Citizenship• U.S. Citizen ID Card• Canadian Citizenship Card• Canadian Certificate of Citizenship without photo

Child ID: Children ages 18 & younger must present original or certified-copy birth certificate issued by federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municpal authority. Parents should carry proof of joint custody of your children and a notarized letter of permission w/phone # for parent(s) of children not your own

bubbaray
06-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Technically, they are still accepting DL/birth certificates or two other pieces of id. Getting into Canada shouldn't be a problem for you or your kids. However, you might get grief from the US border guards when you are trying to re-enter the US without a passport. They might make you go into the office (PITA).

If you don't really need your Canadian passport right away, rumor has it that they are going to make them valid for 10yrs next year. Right now they are double the price of the US passports and only valid for 5 years.

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Thank you everyone...it's one of those expenses I've been putting off...I had lost my green card (along with my birth certificate, passport) and easily and quickly replaced the Ontario Birth Certificate (it came in 7 days to my doorstep via DHL)...the Green Card cost 380.00 and I had to drive 2 hours up towards Chicago to get fingerprinted....and am dreading the Canadian passport issue..but will get it done soon....am planning the 900 mile drive with my two children this summer and do have the necessary documents to get across so I'll just have to donate a kidney to pay for the gas to get there!