PDA

View Full Version : Is a convertible car seat with only a 40-lb limit a waste?

mamica
06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
So I just bought the Safety First Uptown as a less-costly carseat for my parents, and I just now realized that the weight limit is 40 pounds. So, I'll need to get them something else once dc outgrow it before we can move to a booster seat right?

I know it will vary, but what is the range of ages when kids reach 40 pounds?

Should I return it and go with something else? Is there something good in the same price range that is at least a 45 pound weight limit? Or is that even not enough?

annex
06-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Not at all! Now that there are combination FF-only harness-booster seats like the Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier, I think the 40 lb convertibles are actually quite smart to get. Most kids outgrow the HWH convertibles like the Britax Marathon around age 4-5 due to the height limitations, and never even get close to the weight limits. I figure with DS, I will move him from an infant seat into a cheap convertible that RF to 35 lb, turn him around for the last 5 lb (probably getting us to age 3 or 4.) Then I'll invest in a Frontier or Nautilus that should last him until he's ready to use just a seatbelt. Plus, I'll have the added safety benefit of extended harnessing since the harnessing heights on the Frontier and GN are higher than all the HWH rf-ff convertibles.

The other nice thing about 40lb seats like the Uptown is that they are great for air travel since they tend to be smaller, lighter seats. Many people have them as spares just for that purpose.

HTH,
Anne

lorinick
06-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I think it depends on your child. How much does he weigh now? What percentile is he in? For me 40lb would not work. DS is in the 95% for height and weight.

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
The Triumph Advance goes to 55 pounds...it's been on sale for about the same price as the Uptown...depending of if your child is currently forward facing the Nautilus may be the wiser investment...if your child is still little and rear facing the Uptown, the Scenera, or the Triumph may be good choices as they rearface and have decent harness heights (kids usually outgrow the seats by height before weight unless they are chunky monkeys!)

o_mom
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
It is really hard to predict. My DS1 is not even 40 lbs at 4.75 yrs. He can still fit in a Scenera which is smaller than an Uptown. I know other 3-4 year olds who are over 40 lbs or too tall for the Scenera (don't know about the Uptown). Depending on age, it is hard to predict based on percentiles, too. All three of mine were 95% for height and weight the first 6-9 months or so then leveled off to be in the 25%.

Also, if you are planning another child in a year or two, it won't be wasted. I have used my Roundaout almost continuously for 4 years between the kids.

I don't think you could go wrong with a higher weight seat like the Triumph Advance (50 lb limit). Planning to use the Uptown to 40 lbs or the height limit and then deciding if you need another seat isn't a horrible plan either. :)

Joolsplus2
06-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I think the Uptown has the highest harness slots of any 40lb Convertible, and it's a great great price for what you get (all that cush and EPP foam! yum!). With those 16 inch top slots and super tall back for rearfacing, it should fit the average kid to at least age 4 (much bigger kids maybe 3, much smaller kids probably 5).
I'm tempted to get one NOW for my 26 pound two yo to rearface a lot longer since it's SO much taller than her Roundabout and yet takes up way less space front-to-back.

erosenst
06-13-2008, 08:29 AM
We have a Marathon so it's not an issue - but at 4.5 Abby is about 38 pounds and 40 inches FWIW...and she's about 25th percentile height and 50th for weight.

Emily

niccig
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I have an Uptown and I LOVE it. I also had/have a 65 lb Britax, a 70lb Recaro and a 65lb Safeguard. And the Uptown stands up well amongst $200 + seats IMO.

The Uptown used to be in DH's car and then we needed the babysitter to pick DS up from preschool, so it became our spare seat. It's also our travel seat for airplanes. It is so light to carry and I find it easy to install. (There's a trick, to using LATCH with it, you have to tuck the end of the latch strap back through the belt path and then pull it, so you're pulling horizontally along the belt path, this means your pulling hand is in the middle of the seat - I hope that makes sense)

DS is 3.5yo but small. 33lbs and about 37". He's going to fit in this seat until 4.5 if not 5! Granted, bigger kids won't last as long. When your child outgrows it, there will be many more seats like the Nautilus or Frontier to choose - these seats are FF only and harness until 65lbs or so and then become a booster. That's what I will get once DS outgrows the Uptown and if I need another seat.

I think it's a great seat for a secondary seat.

christiedavid3
06-15-2008, 10:32 PM
We just bought the Uptown for Grandma's car. I got a good install using LATCH. We tried DS out in it today and he fell asleep in it. It has such great cushy padding & fabric. I'm really glad we got one.

Quick question...don't have the manual in front of me....does it RF to 30 or 35 lbs??? DS is 10 months and 22 lbs so we have a ways to go, but I'm just curious.

kijip
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
It really varies depending on the height and weight of the child. My son has friends his age that fit in seats like the Uptown and the Scenera fine yet he is too tall sitting down for the Marathon. If you child is always on the top of the size charts, then it might not be the best investment. If they are average size or smaller, it can work just fine.

niccig
06-16-2008, 12:49 AM
We just bought the Uptown for Grandma's car. I got a good install using LATCH. We tried DS out in it today and he fell asleep in it. It has such great cushy padding & fabric. I'm really glad we got one.

Quick question...don't have the manual in front of me....does it RF to 30 or 35 lbs??? DS is 10 months and 22 lbs so we have a ways to go, but I'm just curious.

It RF to 35lbs and with the tall back on it, many kiddos could get to that weight.

christiedavid3
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
:bighand: :yay: