PDA

View Full Version : Specific Brand of a good backpack diaper bag?

goldentwig
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Does anyone have a specific brand of a backpack diaper bag that you really love? We received one for a gift from someone who had their own infant and found this one at Target on clearance for $3... she said, "It's not supposed to be a diaper bag, but it's the best one ever! It has a section for everything!" And she was right.... we've loved this one! BUT... one of the straps came loose from the bottom part of the backpack and is being held in now with a safety pin. I want to be proactive in finding a replacement, but I'm pretty picky and could use some suggestions.

Has anyone tried the Urban Backpack Diaper Bag from One Step Ahead? What about others?

Thanks!

salsah
06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
have you looked at the skip hop backpack? i don't have any experience w/ the backpack but i have a duo and love it. great quality. and you can hang it from the stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah, if I were in the market for a backpack, I'd TOTALLY look at the Via. I had a Bugaboo backpack, and while the one cross-strap was awkward, I LOVED being able to attach it to the stroller. As a matter of fact, I may just have to get a Via if I see an amazing sale on them.

goldentwig
06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Okay awesome. That's one I saw last night online after posting this. I've heard that they aren't all that durable though... can anyone speak to that?

Also, I've only had a backpack so far... can anyone tell me why the messenger bags are so popular? I found this one online that at least looks good (okay, I just like the blue): http://www.buybuybaby.com/Product.asp?order_num=683011560&SKU=15764139&

holly

tnrnchick74
06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Ju-ju-be has a backpack version too and their products are built to last with LOTS of neat features...plus some cool prints as well!

www.ju-ju-be.com

Melbel
06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
We have had a Lands End backpack since 2001 that is still going strong. As much as I like patterns, my DH prefers simplicity. Ours is black with our last name embroidered on it. We regularly used it at theme parks, beach etc. long after DS and DD1 were PT. That has not stopped me from ordering a couple of new diaper bags for DD2, but I am certain we will still use the LE backpack as well.

Wife_and_mommy
06-15-2008, 08:59 AM
We have had a Lands End backpack since 2001 that is still going strong. As much as I like patterns, my DH prefers simplicity. Ours is black with our last name embroidered on it. We regularly used it at theme parks, beach etc. long after DS and DD1 were PT. That has not stopped me from ordering a couple of new diaper bags for DD2, but I am certain we will still use the LE backpack as well.

Yes, second the LE backpack. It's super sturdy and LE has great customer service if an issue comes up.

westgre
06-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I completely agree with the recommendtion of the Lands End backpack, but they've quit selling them, at least for now. I bought ours 5+ years ago and it's still going strong. I'd love to find another backpack with a cuter pattern for under $50. I'm considering just getting a regular LLBean backpack, like this one:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=llbean-original-book-pack&categoryId=38021&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5179&cat4=2943&shop_method=pp&feat=5179-tn&np=Y
in blue flower patch.

hez
06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
We got the Columbia (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266865) bag as a gift this time around-- love it so far. Not too big, not too small. Has straps to hang on a stroller if you want. DH likes it, too :)

Melbel
06-15-2008, 04:19 PM
That's too bad that LE discontinued the diaper bag backpack. PBK has one on sale for $59 (down from $79) with FS.

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/md4100/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C40%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C%7C% 7C%7C%7Cdiaper&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

MoveOverRover
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I have owned several backpack diaper bags but haven't really been happy with any of them. I've owned a Lexie Barnes Duchess which I found to be too small and without decent organization. I've owned the Land's End Triple Compartment bag which I found to be incredibly heavy and bulky, and useful only for longer trips (it is a high quality bag, if you don't mind lugging it around), and the Eagle Creek Parent Survival bag (older version - lightweight but still too big). The only bag I've liked for just quick outings is the Sherpani XO. It is lightweight, has nice shoulder straps, has exterior pockets and bottle pockets, and is just the right size for a few hours out.

The Skip Hop Via Messenger seemed cheapy. I wish Skip Hop would produce a diaper bag backpack with some lamination (like their glams), in nicer prints, and with non-cheapy lining and better bottle pockets. Skip Hops are generally well organized but their fabrics are just so cheap!

For medium sized diaper backpacks that can also be worn shoulder style, I can recommend the Petunia Pickle Bottom boxy backpack in any of their glazed fabrics or Storksak Claire. Both of these bags are pricey, but in my experience worth it. The PPB has lots more interior room, but Storksak Claire is super well organized and made of high quality materials.

maurenemm
06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I think messenger bags are nice because you can wear them on your shoulder or across your chest. For people like me who don't really like backpacks, its nice to be able to sling a messenger around your body when you need both of your hands. But in practice, I've had a hard time wearing diaper bags across my body for any length of time - just not comfortable especially if you overpack like I do.

If you like the looks of of the Dad Gear messenger, you might like a Dad Gear/Daisy Gear backpack. The Baby Sherpa Shorthaul gets lots of nice reviews. I just recently got a Sherpani Vida. I think I'm going to like it except the pockets on the side are a tight squeeze for sippy cups (but I did get two different brands in there). The Vida is smaller than the XO. I think you can see all of these backpacks on Ebags.com.

Melaine
06-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Anyone tried the Bumble Madeline style backpack?
http://www.amazon.com/Bumble-Bags-Madeline-Stroller-Buttercup/dp/B000RW1PXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1213760216&sr=1-1
I'm asking because I saw it tonight at TJMaxx for only $40 and was kind of tempted because I knew the brand name was good. Honestly though, I couldn't figure out what was so great it about just by looking...if I hear good things I might go back and pick it up though...

MoveOverRover
06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Anyone tried the Bumble Madeline style backpack?
http://www.amazon.com/Bumble-Bags-Madeline-Stroller-Buttercup/dp/B000RW1PXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1213760216&sr=1-1
I'm asking because I saw it tonight at TJMaxx for only $40 and was kind of tempted because I knew the brand name was good. Honestly though, I couldn't figure out what was so great it about just by looking...if I hear good things I might go back and pick it up though...

I've never seen a Bumble bag in real life, but I almost bought one until I read the not-so-good reviews on Amazon. And I figured since I'd never seen one in real life that they aren't that popular for a reason. Hmmm. If you do get one be sure to post a review here!:)

sophiesmom
06-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I got a LE backpack diaper bag from a mom on the babybags board... maybe you can try there.

I plan on using it for disney, it seems like a great bag, I can't wait to use it!

hlphillips2
06-19-2008, 10:59 PM
My neighbor loves her Lands End backpack. Sad they don't have it anymore.

I have both of the Ju-Ju-Be backpacks (Be Right Back & Packabe). The Packabe is one of those that can be worn messenger style which I really like because I can quickly grab & carry it. I'm really not a big backpack fan, but it's become necessary when chasing a toddler. I like all of the pockets on the JJB bags, plus they're fairly baby-proof (DD has to work a little to get into most of the pockets).

gatorsmom
06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
I have always insisted on wearing a backpack diaper bag because I need my hands free to hold onto toddler hands. I've had 2 of the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Backpacks and found them to be very room and comfortable to wear. I owned 2 with the unwipeable fabric and they still managed to last 2 years each.

I now own the Jujube Packabe and love it. It is indestructible and some great features to help organize (it's actually not that different from the PPB on the inside. And both backpacks have a shoulder strap included giving you or DH the choice of how to wear them.

but, if i were you and loved the bag you have now, AND if the detached shoulder strap is the only problem with it, I'd take it to a shoe repair place and have it sewn back on. I've done this before to make sure the straps lasted a long time. They'll probably even do it for free. hth

kramerski
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
We have one of these for our twins. It is big, kind of overwhelms by wife's small size but worth every penny.

http://www.babysherpa.com/

They do make a smaller versions too, the Short Haul Sherpa

lanomatic
07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I just received my Storksak Claire, and I have to tell you that I think it's the perfect diaper bag. It is absolutely gorgeous and has pockets for everything you could possibly think of! The extras are really exceptional: a detachable key strap that is actually easy to use, an attachable clutch pouch, 2 insulated side pockets that will hold full 8oz bottles, many zip pockets on the inside and every face of the outside, etc.

The backpack-to-shoulder bag conversion is ingenious and very easy to adjust for size. I also love that it has separate stroller clips so it can fit onto the stroller but not get tangled up in the strap.

I was worried that it would be too "plasticky" since the body is described as a nylon vinyl. But it feels like high quality materials and doesn't have that plastic-shiny diaper bag look that many others do. It has leather trim and good solid hardware. The zippers are sturdy and don't look like they'll break the first time a toddler tugs on them.

Love this diaper bag. Highly recommend.