PDA

View Full Version : Need Makeup Tips For DD - Dance Recital

randomkid
06-13-2008, 01:54 AM
Since I have no experience in putting makeup on a 3 year old, I need a little help - lol! We had DD's rehearsal tonight and I just kept piling on my powder blush until she said - "no more makeup, Mommy!" I just couldn't get it dark enough. I thought "Well, it's not that great, but hey, she's only 3". When we got to the recital, she looked like she had nothing on compared to the other girls and DD is fair, so she really does need more. The bright lights totally washed her out.

Please share your tips with me - recital is Saturday. Pretty sure mascara is out since I don't think DD will let me put it on her, but what else do I use? Any brand recommendations? I don't want to irritate her skin. Also, need tips on application. Her little face is so small and I don't want her to look clownish either!

Thanks!

Wife_and_mommy
06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
If you don't get any tips here, could you ask one of the other moms who did well to give you tips?

My dd didn't have to wear make-up but a friend did buy some glitter at Bath and Body Works. There was enough in this tiny bottle to glitter 12 girls' head, shoulders, and face. My dd still has glitter in her hair and the recital was 2 weeks ago.:ROTFLMAO:

randomkid
06-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, not gonna do the glitter...there's enough glitter shedding off their costumes! The bathroom floor at the auditorium was covered with the stuff - lol!

I didn't get a chance to talk to the Mom who did well with her DD's makeup and there are only 4 in DD's class. One other had no makeup and the other one is naturally dark AND has a tan right now, so her Mom just did mascara and lipstick.

I'm thinking cream blush might work better - anyone? Otherwise, I probably just won't worry too much about it. Their only 3 and on stage for like a minute.

Thanks

Wife_and_mommy
06-13-2008, 01:55 PM
What a shame you didn't get any other responses. My dd's recital was at a rec center so she didn't need heavy makeup.

I found this link. There are a couple of good responses in it. Hth. From what I read the heavy blush that you did was just right.

Have fun!

kristenk
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
DD's dance recital was a few weeks ago. I put some blush and lipstick on her, but I don't think it really showed up all that much. I was going to add a little more when we got to the theater, but parents weren't allowed backstage and I didn't think about adding more before she went back.

All of the kids in DD's class (there were 5 total on stage) looked absolutely adorable and I don't think anyone really noticed whether they looked washed out or not.

Go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I didn't want DD sporting tons of make-up and I didn't really want her to have stuff on her face for over 2 hours, so I didn't do too much.

DrSally
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't have any experience, but I think cream blush comes out stronger on me.

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
DD's rehersal is tonight so I'm all about this one...try cream blush with powder blush on top...also bronzer works great!....my DD is 5 and loves to try mascara...also the other mom's were also helpful last year...it seems one had the lip gloss that everybody wanted to wear!!! I don't think anyone would be offended if you asked for a touch up in the dressing room...We are NOT allowed to wear glitter at our recital.

As a newbie last year I didn't know that you gave flowers after your child's performance..didn't have cash on me...luckily uncle and grandparents gave flowers....DD has 3 numbers so we have lots of time between and I bring lots of water, and non messy snacks too-DD is sooo excited!

kristenk
06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Ahhhh! The flowers.

Make sure that you bring some with you if you don't know for sure that there will be some for sale at the recital.

I thought that there would be some for sale, but didn't ask about it specifically. We got there and discovered that they only sell flowers at performance of The Nutcracker. A mom took pity on me and pulled two flowers out of her daughters' bouquets so I would have 2 pink roses for Ellie.

randomkid
06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank you for the replies! I think I'll try the cream blush - I was ready to put foundation on her, then blush just so it would show up more. I think cream blush will be our answer.

I did think about flowers since my two older stepdaughters were both in dance and we used to do flowers for them. They do have flowers for sale at the recital, but it's $8 for 5 carnations! Think we'll be buying better flowers for less at the store!

Thanks again!

Tondi G
06-13-2008, 11:10 PM
you can always put a little lipstick/lip stain on your fingers and rub it on her cheeks too if the blush isn't doing the trick... but since you have time to get the cream blush that should work for ya! I am assuming the other girls are probably wearing eye shadow as well.... lots of pics I've seen the girls have blue eye shadow on for some reason! I don't think I'd be brave enough to attempt mascara with a 3 year old!

hope she has a fantastic recital! You have to share pics!