PDA

View Full Version : Starting a fish tank

missym
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking about starting a fish tank but would like something more interesting than goldfish. I've always loved angelfish and wondered how much work a tropical aquarium would be. Any advice? Should we start with something more basic first?

KBecks
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Hit the fish store! :)

We had an aquarium for a while that was my DH's project. We stayed with fresh water. Some friends had a salt water tank that was very pretty. I think you could do either no problem if you are committed to it.

I would ask the fish store people how much time it takes and average costs to maintain each type of tank. I'm sure there are fish Web sites and forums out there too for you to explore. Have fun!

MontrealMum
06-13-2008, 11:10 AM
It's been a LONG time since I had fish - they were my pets when I was little because I was allergic to everything else! If you get a tropical aquarium with bubbler, heater, filter etc. you don't need to clean it every week like you do with a simple bowl of goldfish. I think we dismantled the setup and cleaned it once a year, but it's been a long time, and things may have changed so I'd talk to your local pet/fish store. Just a word of warning about angelfish...they are really nasty fish as a breed, and can eat/attack the other fish in the tank. They don't always do this, but it can be a little traumatic for a child to witness. Most good fish stores will spend time talking to you about equipment, breeds, etc. Also, IIRC a salt water setup may cost more than a freshwater one. I'm not sure if it's the equipment, or the actual fish that cost more. HTH

caheinz
06-13-2008, 01:41 PM
A freshwater tank shouldn't be bad. I would try to find a non-chain (or local chain) pet store to ask questions, the people there will know more and be much more helpful. (And you'll get better answers...)

Saltwater tanks are going to take more money and more work. Of course, there are cooler fish (and other organisms) in saltwater...