PDA

View Full Version : Good ideas for 3 year old birthday present?

hillview
06-13-2008, 10:32 AM
DS will be turning 3 soon. Any great ideas?
thanks!
/hillary

clc053103
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hijack but you took the words right out of my mouth!! My DS also turning three, and I am desperately seeking ideas too! Thanks!

schums
06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Some ideas that were hits here at 3 - 3 1/2:
* Floor puzzles 24-48 pieces
* Art Supplies
* Board games -- Hi Ho Cherryo, Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, Memory, Leapfrog Letter Factory, Cranium Caraboo, Cranium Hullabaloo
* Leap Frog letter or word whammer
* Beanbag
* Nilo table
* Tricycle/Balance bike
* Outdoor toys -- sand table, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, new kiddie pool

HTH!

KBecks
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Alek (3.5) really likes Cranium Cariboo and Don't Break the Ice as "board" games.

He has not been into the balance bike, but that's probably just him.

Trains are always a hit here.

I love giving books as presents, so maybe a book in the mix.

veronica
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Does he already have a camera? What about explorer type stuff like binoculars for the summer. My DS isn't even a year yet but I have a camera for DD's third later this year and think binoculars might be out there in a kid-friendly version...

BeachBum
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm on the look out for a kids MP3 player and/or a MP3 boom box for my son's 3rd. He loves to listen to music and I would like to be able to download his favorites for him to listen to when he wants. I don't trust him with my ipod. :)

deannanb
06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Play kitchen and food
train table
art supplies
board games - Let's Go Fishin', don't break the ice, candy land, don't spill the beans
(none of the games are played the way the directions say - but they are fun to play"
Little People - castle set and garage
Duplo Blocks
Puppet theater and puppets
wood blocks
cash register
play silks
tents and sleeping bag

Tondi G
06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Things my 3 year old loves

Matchbox pop up playsets

Any kind of cat yellow construction trucks/ green tractors

Pirate ship

Guitar, drums

sand and water table

big wheel/trike/scooter

schrocat
06-13-2008, 04:14 PM
DS who turned 3 last month loves his "building" toys.

Favourites include

- Lego Duplo
- Wedgits
- his Junior Engineer set
- Unit Blocks

He also really loves playing with alphabets. He'll take his Leapfrog magnets and arrange them and make words with them.

The sandtable's a big hit too.

He also really loves "cooking" at his pretend kitchen and serving me "food".

bubbaray
06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Bike?

I posted these in Karen's 2yo post, but I think most pre-school boys would like them:

http://www.monsterfactory.net/

Puzzles?

I'm always at a loss with boy gifts, LOL!

ged
06-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Magnatiles were the big winner this year. We also gave her a doll house, but it has not proven to be as big of hit as the magnatiles.

Mamma2004
06-14-2008, 09:04 AM
DS just turned four but his favorites continue to be:

books
puzzles
kitchen
Thomas trains
Games (Cariboo, Hullaballoo, Memory, Zingo, Rhyme, etc.)
Art
puppets
ball (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, golf, tennis, etc. - you'd never know from this list but he is *not* a likely contender for an athletic scholarship, IYKWIM!!!)

Melaine
06-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I haven't tried this, and I don't have a boy or a three year old! BUT from what I read online this seems so FUN!

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Rolling-Coaster-Childrens-Ride-On-Car/2064059/product.html?

schums
06-14-2008, 05:20 PM
We have these, and the kids LOVE them. They'd be great for probably 3+. However, unless you have VERY smooth sidewalks or other place for them to ride them, they don't get much use outside. DC loved them in the winter in the basement, but once spring hit, they haven't been touched because it's too hard to use them on outside.

Tondi G
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't tried this, and I don't have a boy or a three year old! BUT from what I read online this seems so FUN!

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Rolling-Coaster-Childrens-Ride-On-Car/2064059/product.html?

My now 3 year old is obsessed with his "skitter" as ours was labeled! We've had it for a long time and it is his ride on of choice. He doesn't use it as intended... he uses his feet to scoot and lemme tell you... he can HAUL A*S down the block on it. He also loves riding it inside and sliding the rear end of it around as he makes turns..... he headed for BMX riding and skateboarding... I can see it already! UUGH!

Another thing he really enjoys is his cash register... he probably would have loved a simple calculator too... he's a buttons man. He also loves his little dinky cell phone from the Disney store.... he calls everyone and has funny conversations!

~Tondi

KBecks
06-15-2008, 08:40 AM
An outdoor idea would be a plastic bat, tee and wiffle balls. Alek has enjoyed his so far.