PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to BF...what should I have on hand?

tmarie
06-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I have:
-box of disposable breast pads
-2 nursing tanks
-two bravado nursing bras
-boppy pillow

Do I wash/sterilize a couple of bottles and/or pacifiers before I go to the hospital? I only bought three bottles and one pack of soothie pacifiers because I don't necessarily plan to use them. However, if we have an emergency situation I hate to think about having to wash them as baby is screaming :)

What am I forgetting?

TIA!

tmarie

elephantmeg
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
-a good nursing book-there's a thread going on the feeding forum.
-snacks and water
-nipple cream-medela has a new one that I've heard good things about
good luck

KBecks
06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Do you have a comfy chair? Maybe a nursing footstool.

I think you're fine and you can send someone on a shopping trip if you need more of anything.

brittone2
06-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I think you are in good shape. I third or whatever we're up to now the idea to bring a good nursing book with you (and you may want to read through some of that in advance). I brought my copy of The Womanly Art of BFing to the hospital and I did reference it a few times.

One slightly wonky thing we did that helped was to use our digital camera to take pics of the setup for a "football" hold when nursing DS. I was fine w/ nursing him in sidelying or in a cradle hold, but changing positions can really help keep things from getting too sore. I always had trouble w/ getting him into a good position/setup with pillows, etc. in the football hold for some reason, but it really eased some of my discomfort. We got set up that way w/ help from a LC or nurse and then I had DH take a pic w/ the digital so we could try to duplicate that at home (now with DD a few years later, it was totally easy for me to vary positions, etc. and it wasn't an issue at all).

I just brought 2 nursing bras, a nursing pillow, Lasinoh (there were fewer alternatives when I was pg with DS 4-5 years ago), some nursing pads, and a pump (I was really concerned w/ supply issues due to having PCOS, but I ended up with overactive letdown/oversupply if anything). The pump wasn't necessary but I had spoken with the LC in advance about PCOS and she looked up some studies for me, and we agreed to meet up at the hospital. She showed me how to pump w/ my pump before I left the hospital. I never was a big pumper though...DS hated any attempts at bottle feeding and we didn't need to use bottles.

egoldber
06-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I would definitely bring a nursing pillow to the hospital. Nursing with the hospital pillows is wretched IME.

Your baby is going to be a 36 weeker, yes? If so, make sure to pack your patience and persistence. :) Near termers are notoriously difficult nursers. They cna have a hard time latching, not want to wake to nurse, are more likely to be jaundiced and have a generally harder time figuring the whole thing out. It *does* get better as they get closer to their due dates. :)

lizajane
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
get some phone numbers now just in case. look up lactation consultatants, la leche league, your hospital's lactation department, etc. if you have trouble, GET HELP. DO NOT WAIT. GET HELP. did i mention get help?

brittone2
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
get some phone numbers now just in case. look up lactation consultatants, la leche league, your hospital's lactation department, etc. if you have trouble, GET HELP. DO NOT WAIT. GET HELP. did i mention get help?

IMO, the best advice yet. Especially if you are expecting a 36 weeker. If you can get to a LLL meeting before baby, I think that you might find that helpful. If not, at least get some phone numbers for LLL, more than one LC (in case you don't like or find the LC at the hospital helpful), etc. I don't have any experience w/ a 36 weeker personally, but if you expect feeding may be tricky, I'd also consider talking to a LC in advance about something like an SNS should the need arise.

Twoboos
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Some Soothies - they are breast pads that comfort your newly-used breasts. I could not have gotten through the first few weeks of bf without them!! This is a go-to gift for all my new mom friends. Available at drugstores.

And, a lot of patience and persistence!! :) Good luck!

MommyAllison
06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Ditto the Soothies! They were so nice with DD. My hospital offered themn to me, so I'd ask if they have some and take as many as they'll give, cause they are about $10/pair at drugstores.

DrSally
06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I second all the advice given, esp. going to a LLL mtg and getting aquainted and getting some phone numbers of the leader and a LC. The footstool is a good idea too, although I found it didn't need to be a nursing footstool. I got a cheap 2 pack of plastic stools at BRU and they worked fine.

bethie_73
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Lactation consultant!! I was really lucky, the hospital actually had a room for nursing moms, open every weekday for 3-4 hours staffed by lactation consultants. It was drop in and you could come whenever, even if you just wanted to weigh your baby or get out of the house. That said, the consultant was a godsend, I thought I had the latch down but it wasn't right, they helped alot, as did the Lasinoh... and let just say at 2.25 I'm trying to explain BF is for babies not big boys, but I"m still BF :rolleye0014:

In the beginning I had a bowl of snacks near so I didn't need to move and a HUGE jug of ice water, that was really helpful. (and the TV remote)

And I wish my rocking chair had had a higher back, I always fell asleep while feeding him :shrug: and my neck started to hurt :ROTFLMAO:

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I didn't find the boppy helpful at all (it's sort of rounded and didn't provide enough stability for me)...my LC recommended the MY BREST FRIEND pillow which has a wider flatter surface to keep baby on/and slight raised little pillows on each side to position baby...and yet it isn't any bigger than the bopp/fit in my rocker fine...I also loved that it attached so you could actually get up and walk around with the pillow attached to you...looks silly but was helpful as was the pockets to hold a phone, remote....even a beer as suggested by my LC to relax if that what was needed (I'm not encouraging heavy drinking but sometimes a beer or glass of wine helped relax a stressed out new mom!).

Everyone's nursing experiences are different....I don't have great anatomy- sorry if TMI but...basically terrible nipples for nursing no matter what many different LC's tried...I was able to nurse successfully two children using nipple shields and while a pain it allowed me to nurse...be open to try all different positions, contraptions, and be prepared for the possibility for a few LC's to pull and poke you....or maybe you'll be a natural...anyway it's all for the baby... and worth it!

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Also meant to mention..my second DC was a 37 week babu in the NICU and on oxygen for 2 months....I nursed him but also due to his need to have nutrition easily without using up all his calories we did supplement with some bottle feeding (and obviously I couldn't live at the hospital) by pumping....both my children had no difficulties going from bottle to breast....also there is a wide range of LC's...when I originally started with my first DC the hospital LC's were not that great...I found the LLL wasn't for me and then found a wonderful LC in SanDiego...she had an office with drop in hours almost all day...I could come, weigh, nurse, weigh and enjoy a cup of mother's milk tea, sit in one of her comfy rocking chairs... she offered free infant massage classes and all followups were included in the original 60.00 fee....she was awesome and I feel like she was my savior. You will know who is right for you...or like so many of my friends even with some early babies...nursing is a piece of cake....

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll second or third the advice for the book. About the nursing stool- look at your home. Where are you most likely to set up your "nursing station"? Look at that seat whether it be the couch,recliner,rocking chair,etc. and ask yourself. Can I sit back in the chair and hold a baby close to me and still have my feet on the floor comfortably? I'm 5'4" so the answer was always no. If the answer is no for you then a nursing stool might be a good thing to have. Are you going back to work? full time or part time? If it's full time or part time where you'll be gone for more that 4 hours at a time I'd say buy a pump. Heck, it'll be great for just when you and dh want to go out to dinner.

Find help NOW, not later. Have a resource or multiple resources. Just in case. I nursed dd for 2 years but when ds was born I still needed help once or twice. A good book is a good resource. Take a look at the Nursing motheres companion.

But if your short on cash then i'd say you've got the basics covered and good luck.

tmarie
06-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice!! I literally took notes. I did buy a book...the Dr. Sears. I've already read about half way through, and so far very helpful. It never dawned on me to look up LCs since they provide them at the hospital--but that is a great idea. I do have a recliner in the nursery, where I intend to do most nursing, so hopefully I can get away without a stool for now. I will not be going back to work (WAHM) for a while, but I do want to have a pump handy for going out occasionally. My girlfriend has lent me her PIS, so I will request new tubing while at the hospital. I'm very nervous about how this will go with a 36 weeker...but all of your advice is very encouraging!! :)

tmarie

kijip
06-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice!! I literally took notes. I did buy a book...the Dr. Sears. I've already read about half way through, and so far very helpful. It never dawned on me to look up LCs since they provide them at the hospital--but that is a great idea. I do have a recliner in the nursery, where I intend to do most nursing, so hopefully I can get away without a stool for now. I will not be going back to work (WAHM) for a while, but I do want to have a pump handy for going out occasionally. My girlfriend has lent me her PIS, so I will request new tubing while at the hospital. I'm very nervous about how this will go with a 36 weeker...but all of your advice is very encouraging!! :)

tmarie

Also with a 36 weeker some doctors can be prevailed on to write you a prescription for a pump so you could get a rental of the highest quality pump covered...my insurance paid for a classic because my doctor wrote a prescription after a short NICU stay (T was full-term) and my insurance covered it all 100%.

strollerqueen
06-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Hmmm, never thought to ask my Doc to write a prescription for my rental pump. Wonder if I can do it retroactively? Re: preemies nursing... My baby was born just before 35 weeks. We're still struggling. But in all the reading I've done, most seem to catch on sooner or later. Some do right away!

strollerqueen
06-14-2008, 04:05 AM
And Katie, BIG CONGRATS! Wonderful news!

galvjen
06-14-2008, 06:14 AM
For me the foot stool was important since my feet didn't reach the floor comfortably (the ottoman that matches the chair was useless for nursing). The phone next to the chair was nice too since this was always a time I was sitting still for 30 minutes or so. Nursing book was useful as well. Patience and persistence were invaluable. Good luck!
Jen

hellbennt
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I looked at videos on/from the jack newman site, like the cideo clips here:
http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

also I always like to recommend to breastfeeding mothers to seek all the help they can manage to find such as:

la leche league:
The La Leche League Breastfeeding Helpline w/access to toll free breastfeeding help 24 hours a day. Just call 1-877-4-LALECHE (1-877-452-5324).

to find a local internationally board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC):
http://www.ilca.org/falc.html

DrSally
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, try to get a prescription for a pump. The doctor can use the code "feeding difficulties" and your ins should pay for it. I knew someone with 2 premies where the hospital just did it for her both times so she would have the pump even in the hospital, ready to take home.

As for the LC, sometimes the hospital LC's can be hit or miss, and a lot of the problems will start when you get home, b/c they're still kinda sleepy in the hospital.

dcmom2b3
06-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I second that! I delivered on a Fri late afternoon; turns out the hospital's wonderful, much touted LCs didn't work on Sat. or Sun., and their services aren't available once you've been discharged. I just happened to find one of the best independent LCs in our area by resorting to the Yellow Pages. She does house calls, and had my hospital-grade rental pump delivered by courier 3 hrs after I called her. I was lucky, but would have been much less stressed if I'd had all that info lined up before hand.

Best of everything! I'm excited for you!

Mary-Helen

MontrealMum
06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, my experience was similar to Mary-Helen's. Lots of people had assured me that all these great services were "out there" (and free, due to our health care system) so I trusted that things would be OK once I got home. Unfortunately they, and I, were unaware of the time limitations, and delays, and I missed out on a lot of things that I really needed since I had quite a bit of trouble at the beginning.

Call around now, make a list, and ask specifically about hours of service, and how long after you're discharged those services are available. Do you have to come in? Or will they come to you? Also, make sure of the hours of the place you want to buy/rent your pump from. My hospital didn't rent on weekends and we were lucky to make it to BRU before closing time on a Sun.

Don't let that worry you though. Just do your research now, when you're still sane! Good luck with everything :)

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Have somewhere comfy to nurse in the family/ living room too. Little babies nurse so much that you won't want to spend all your time all alone in baby's room. :) I don't have any more advice to offer- the pps have covered it so well!

Beth