PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for preschool

hillview
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
DS starts preschool this month. I have ordered name labels for clothes. Does he need a backpack? Lunchbox? Anything else?
Thanks!
/hillary

caheinz
06-13-2008, 02:45 PM
It's going to depend on the school. Check the info they've given you, or give them a call!

Try to find out what sort of cubby space he'll have. You won't want to send anything that won't fit!

kijip
06-13-2008, 02:46 PM
If you ar eproviding luch, then a lunchbox with reusuable food containers is helpful. Also prepare yourself by stocking the kitchen with things you know will work well in lunches.

kristenk
06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Go ahead and give the preschool a call and ask! They shouldn't mind.

Here's what we need when DD's there for a half-day (so, no lunch):
- backpack
- complete change of clothes including socks and underwear

Here's what we need when DD's there for a full day:
- backpack
- complete change of clothes including socks and underwear
- small blanket for nap time
- lovey for nap time
- lunch box with her name on it

For half days and full days, DD is also required to bring her folder, but that's provided by the school on her first day.

joyful mommy
06-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Some nursery schools require you to keep that extra change of clothes there all the time and to replace them when used (your DC comes home in those clothes with the others in a plastic bag for any of numerous reasons) or as the seasons change.

I keep meaning to order tags -- where did you get yours? Are they sew-in or iron-on. Do you like them?

BabyMine
06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
We just use a labeler and label his clothes our self. He has 3 changes of clothes, pull-ups, wipes, lunchbox with cup, and swim trunks.

kristenk
06-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't really label DD's clothes individually. They're all in a gallon-size Ziplock in her backpack that has, "Ellie Lastname's Extra Clothes" written on it. She's *never* needed her extra clothes and the chances that her extra clothes and another child's clothes would get mixed up are relatively slim.

I'm more likely to label her outwear, but I just write on the tag with a pen.

KrisM
06-13-2008, 06:32 PM
We needed a backpack with a change of clothes in it. It was sometime in December that it occurred to me to replace the shorts and t-shirt with pants and a long-sleeve shirt :).

And, he needed his name on the backpack and coats.

That was it. He went mornings only, so no lunch.

Tondi G
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
MY DS needed a lunchbox with his name on it... and a cold pack thing for inside to keep it cool/fresh!

A sleeping bag for naptime

a change of clothes... underwear, socks, shorts/pants and Tshirt

I labeled DS's lunchbox and sleeping bag with a sharpie.

new_mommy25
06-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Our preschool gave us a list before school started and sent home another list with additional items on the first day.

DS was in a full time preschool, M-F, 8-2. He switched schools after two months because he was accepted late into the school we really wanted him to go to.

He needed a change of clothes marked and in a zip loc, sleeping mat, and art smock. One school required a back pack and the other didn't. He also needed a lunch box. We didn't use a cold pack because his school had a fridge. We did buy a Thermos Funtainer for hot foods and it was really nice. DS said his food was still warm at lunch time. I would recommend it.

Other random things needed were box of tissues, box of wipes, crayola crayons and markers etc. That was on the list sent home on the first day of school.

Mamma2004
06-14-2008, 09:00 AM
DS goes to Montessosri three mornings per week. They have limited space and thus ask that backpacks be sent ONLY during the winter, and then with snow pants, boots, etc. for outdoor recess.

We provide extra clothes in a plastic bag - shorts and Ts for warm weather, l/s shirts and pants for cold weather, plus extra underwear and socks. DS was sent home in those spare clothes just yesterday because he had been bumped when pouring himself a cup of water and he got drenched! :-)

I have sent him to lunch only a handful of times but yes, he needed a lunch box with his name on the *outside* and a cold pack inside.

We are asked to label absolutely everything and I ordered from www.labelland.com (http://www.labelland.com), IIRC.

Good luck!