PDA

View Full Version : Compass B510 Vs. Graco TurboBooster???

jennyriver
06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
this is my 1st look at boosters, so i'm new to it all. i'm looking for a booster for DD for mainly PT usage now, but i'd like to keep it around until she outgrows it around age 8. she is 4yrs, approx 35lbs and 42" and we drive a 96' Toyota 4runner (but the seat would be more for other people's cars to start). she has ridden in a Graco TurboBooster and seemed to like it, and also a Britax (i think) Parkway. We currently have a Britax Wizard so i'm not looking for a 5pt booster. just something safe and convenient that i can transport from one car to another when needed, and then later, for her to use when the Wizard isn't an option. also something other people can use, if i'm not there, correctly. for now, that would be short trips but as she gets older, something comfortable enough for even loooong car rides (we often drive a 22 hr round trip 2x's a year). the B510 seems to get better user ratings (even than some Britax boosters) but the Graco seemed to do slightly better on consumer reports. and is cheaper (not my #1 concern, but if the 2 are comparable, why not save $). i've read the B510 is more comfortable and that older kids seem to like it better.

SO.....thoughts?

mom2binsd
06-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Are you sure you don't want to keep her in a 5pt a little longer, the consensus on this board is really to try to wait until at least 5 years and much heavier...at 4 and only 35 pounds she's still pretty little...so even though it's not what you originally asked....what about the Graco Nautilus...it's only 150.00 and will keep her harnessed quite a bit longer and will turn into a good booster...I have a 5 year old who is 38 pounds and 43 inches and I'm still feeling like she is way too small for a booster...even for occasional use...I'm just so concerned about the force during a crash on their little bodies...the 5pt harness makes me feel a little more secure (as I'm sure you also feel with the BLVD).

jennyriver
06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
i do want her in a 5pt as much as possible, which is why i'm not replacing the Wizard with a booster. i'd just like to add a booster here as an option. what i didn't originally state is that our Wizard is so tough to get in our car that i never take it out - i rely on other people's car seats when DD needs to go with them, and sometimes that means a booster (not of my choosing) or an OLD carseat. i'd just feel better having a booster that *I* chose, and know is new and in good shape. plus, it will do double duty as a booster later.

but the Nautilus is interesting...is it light and easy to transport? easy to install (not just for me but for anyone else who might have to use it)?

Joolsplus2
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd go with the Compass... primarily because the armrests fold up for easy buckling....the Turbo has a tendency to be 'too hard' for regular people to route the belt properly under the armrests.

Bare minimum to be out of a booster is 4 foot 9, which, contrary to popular media, is not 8, it's about 11... the Compass may last till about 9, then a super cheap Cosco High Rise would be a great 'spare' (sometimes it's 10$ at Kmart, so not a budget breaker :) )

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Consumer Reports stinks for baby gear advice and recommendations, imo. They favor cheaper simply for price. But, I've found with baby gear you often get more for your money so paying more is a lot of times a good idea (well, within reason ;)). We have the B510 in our car and my mom has the Turbo Booster in her's and there is no doubt in my mind that the Compass is better and easier to use. It is a PITB to buckle b/c the armrests don't fold up. I can't put my finger on it but the Compass just seems to be better made. I like that it folds up for travel too.

Beth

Joolsplus2
06-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Good point about Consumer Reports. Interestingly? Some of the boosters they have said were 'great!', have been tested by an Austrian auto organization (like AAA and CR combined), and they have gotten the worst possible ratings... primarily because CR doesn't do side impact testing, and they look at quality of materials, but NOT at price, which is one of CR's major factors. So it's a good starting point (like, if you don't even know what a carseat IS...I know I only had the vaguest of notions when I was starting out, that's for sure!), but it's definitely one source of many (as the OP definitely knows :) )

jennyriver
06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
thanks all!!! i went ahead and ordered the Compass Premier Daisy (s/b here tomorrow and was $80 shipped from amazon!) and appreciate the advice. i know DD very possibly may need to stay in it past age 8 so i really did want something that could do double duty until then. ease of use, i think, is essential to being safe (when DD rode in that Graco TurboBooster, *I* was the one that strapped her in and i almost missed belting her under the armrest!) and comfort and sturdiness are also great.

i actually went to CR last (read lots of user reviews on amazon and various baby-gear websites 1st) but am curious...where else would i go for some good safety ratings? the NTSB "ease of use" is helpful, but as far as SAFETY goes, where's an excellent resource?

thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
We don't really have a great way to determine safety, since cr mfrs don't release their data. NHTSA does 'compliance testing' usually a year or two after seats come out, but they only show the frontal crash test numbers (and most seats do well below the maximums allowed as far as head/chest/knee forward movement). So the best we can do is buy seats that are side impact tested (at least they claim), and look for things like big headwings and good seatbelt fit.

mom2binsd
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I do find that either this board or car-seat.org has much better info than the parent reviews on amazon or the actual online store sites...I've read so many glowing reviews for seats that are notoriously a pain, awkward etc...many of the people writing reviews also seem more concerned with cosmetics and gadgets than safety, compatibility with vehicles and proper use...I only trust the folks here and at car-seat.org (there may be other sites too but these are my two fav's).....I also see a lot of BBB folks over on car-seat.org.