PDA

View Full Version : juice and milk boxes okay to bring on a plane?

newbiemom
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
The title pretty much says it all. The TSA website seems to say that juice is okay to bring on now (not part of that 3 oz limit), so does that mean juice/milk boxes (sealed) or juice in sippy cups?

Thanks

kijip
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I was able to very recently get past security with both kids milk and juice in sealed boxes. I am not so sure about unsealed sippys.

Momof3Labs
06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
It's not getting on the plane that is the issue, it's getting through security. Once you are through security, you can buy anything you want in the airport (on that side of security) and bring it on the plane with you.

As I understand it, you have to declare it at security and must be traveling with a young child (toddler age?). Boxes or sippy cups okay. You cannot bring a bottle of water last I heard, even if traveling with a baby. You must purchase that once you get through security. Or you can put water in a sippy/bottle and it will probably get through okay.

hillview
06-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Domestically I haven't had an issue with:
- sealed milk boxes
- sealed (Horizons) milk boxes
- anything in a sippy cup (including water)
I've been on rare occasion asked to drink from a sippy cup.

Int'l have had occasional issues with ALL the above.
/hillary

schrocat
06-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I've flown both domestic and international flights with DS and have had no problem with UHT milk in packets. Sippy cups with water are usually fine too.

g-mama
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
We had trouble getting thru security this winter b/c we had three juice boxes in our carry on. I didn't think it would be a problem, but it held us up for quite awhile. They almost made us get rid of them but in the end decided to let us keep them when they saw how young our children were. I wouldn't risk the hassle again.

Canna
06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I had a juice box and a milk box on one flight and they told me that I could keep one or the other but could not carry two different kinds of drinks onto the plane! Kind of strange, I thought. Could have been a quirk of my airport or particular screening person.

fauve01
06-14-2008, 01:42 AM
i think it totally depends on the person screening at security. and also the age of your child. when my dd 3 they did not allow a sealed milk.

going through london heathrow in april, i had an EMPTY straw cup in an outside pocket of my backpack...big mistake. they looked through every crevice of my bag.

i personally wouldn't bring anything and would just buy milk/juice after you're through security.

anne + dd 10/03

galvjen
06-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Recent experience in May - no problem. Just be sure to declare/show the screening personnel the milk/juice/water you're bringing.