PDA

View Full Version : DH has a lump

Tammy
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts. DH finally heard from the dr today. It's been almost 2 weeks since his CT scan. Apparently the nurse has been out all week so we've never received any news yet, so the dr called DH at home tonight to give him results. He said he hasn't seen anything like this before and isn't sure what it is. DH told him the lump has never gone away and after he does some things, like mowing (riding mower) or riding in his work van sometime, the lump gets bigger and very tender. Then after a couple days it goes back the original size. So the dr wants to do an MRI now to see the soft tissue better and he advised DH to look for a surgeon and references to possibly do a biopsy. So that's all for now. Hopefully we'll get some good news when it's over, but it sounds like it will be a while before we know what's going on. Thanks again for your P & PT!

Hi,

DH found a lump about two weeks ago (not to be TMI or anything) between his testicles and rectum toward the right side (under the skin). Kind of hard to feel. It's hard and definitely there. Has changed some in size- like one night he mowed and was so sore the next day from the increasing size. Then back to the normal "lump" size. I made him go see the dr this past Tuesday. Now he's scheduled for a CT scan on Monday, along with bloodwork. He also started antibiotics just in case they'd work. He asked the dr if he should be nervous, and the dr replied "well... maybe not nervous, but more to the point of concerned." He said it could many things (like hole in anal wall from straining and the bacteria are getting in there), and there were so many glands in that area it was hard to tell. I think dh is nervous from a few comments he's made, but he has a good sense of humor about it. Anyway- seems like a long wait until Monday and then more days until results are in. Anyone had experience with anything like this??

wencit
06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
No experience, but I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts your way that it's nothing to worry about. Hugs!

SnuggleBuggles
06-13-2008, 11:29 PM
No experience to offer. I just have lots of positive thoughts and :hug: coming your way.

Beth

megs4413
06-13-2008, 11:33 PM
My DH is a testicular cancer survivor. I'd be happy to answer any questions you're thinking of right now. Based on the location you described, though, I would think it unlikely that he has TC. I hope it turns out to be nothing! Hugs!

wendmatt
06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Hopefully it'll be nothing serious. It must be a worry for you. I had a fistula in that place,it was a hard lump that ended up abcessing (ouch!), I ended up having to have surgery on it and it's fine now.
On a more serious note DH had testicular cancer about 15 years ago and has been cancer free for 13 or 14 years, he had a testicle removed and chemo but he's fine now.
I hope you find out soon and put your minds at ease, good luck and keep us posted.

Globetrotter
06-13-2008, 11:47 PM
As you know, there are so many benign causes of lumps and most often it is just that. I used to get abcesses all over and remember freaking out about them, but it was nothing serious.

The fact that it changed size from one day to the next (and back again) suggests to me, a complete non-expert, that it probably isn't a malignancy.

Hang in there - I know it is very hard to wait for biopsy results. BTDT a number of times but every time it turned out to be a false alarm. (one time they thought dh had lymphoma and he had major surgery to make sure... turned out to be an infection, so these things do happen all the time)

Kris

fauve01
06-14-2008, 01:39 AM
just two days ago, DH had a skin tag removed from that same area. he's had it a while (few years) but it's been getting bigger and has been "rubbing" sometimes, so he had it removed. doc sent it for testing, but wasn't concerned. crossing fingers that your dh has something like that.

kijip
06-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Could not read without posting that I hope everything is ok. Lots of :hug: to you while you wait for the test and results.

JenaW
06-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Just wanted to add my prayers too. No actual BDTD experience but kudos to you (and your DH) for getting it checked out. If it is indeed something more serious it is usually MUCH better to get things diagnosed earlier rather than later, but unfortunately (especially when it comes to men and their genitals) many men seem to ignore things like this. Please keep us updated. I will be thinking of you guys all weekend.

Jera

ThreeofUs
06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Good for you, getting it checked out quickly! And {{{hugs}}} because I know you must be so worried.

And your doctor is right - it's good to be concerned about this type of thing, as you are. But there are many things it could be - and most of them are benign.

hardysmom
06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Could be many, many things...

I'm currently in chemo for breast cancer.

I've learned a few things- First and foremost, though easier said than done, DO NOT jump to the worst conclusions until you have more info. It is a MAJOR waste of time and energy. Seriously. Just don't go there. The chances that this is something really life-changing are so, so, so slim.

Doctors say stupid things. "Concerned" does not = cancer. Concerned also can mean a bump which needs to be drained. There are fistulas and hernias and all sorts of undignified, concerning cr@p. Concerned means "we should keep an eye on it." Concerned means it is being taken seriously, which is good.

Heck, if he found a lump in his britches and the doctor DIDN'T say it was concerning, THAT would be alarming.

The right stuff is happening- you didn't ignore it. Your doctor is acting prudently. Everything is going to be OK.

Don't let linguistics bite you. I've found that doctors don't like words like "nervous" because they imply that one is more emotional than logical. Concern is more pragmatic. From a clinician's point of view, concern is productive, being nervous isn't.

BTW- tumors don't grow and shrink. They just grow. And they don't generally grow quickly enough for you to feel a difference over a short period of time.

I've had every test in the book... surgery, chemo, headed for radiation. If you need any info or direction, please let me know.

Stephanie

mdb78
06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Just think positive thoughts. Hugs to you both!

mama2g03
06-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Just wanted to add to all the P & PT for you and DH. I hope the weekend goes by quickly for you and you get great news on Monday. Hugs.

Tammy
06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Not really sure how to do the update thing so I'll swing it.
Update from Monday-
Tonight was the CT scan- he was overly excited about having to get an IV during this, as well as the blood draw :). So for now we wait a little longer. Just wanted to say thanks so much for the positive thoughts and responses of others' experiences. Funny how a bunch of people you don't know can really help! Update more when we find out something- but we're not obsessing right now.

Mamma2004
06-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Tammy, I'm chiming in a bit late with lots of P&PT to you and your DH. Please take care of yourselves and keep us posted!

ha98ed14
06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Tammy, I'm chiming in a bit late with lots of P&PT to you and your DH. Please take care of yourselves and keep us posted!

Me too! And ditto this. P & PT!

Tammy
06-27-2008, 10:17 PM
bump for update :)

JTsMom
06-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry I missed this thread before. Just wante to send some P&PT your way.