PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing basement flooring

joyful mommy
06-14-2008, 09:36 AM
We're trying to decide what type of floor to put in our basement recreation/family room. The walls are already panelled with shiplap knotty pine panelling which is stained. There is a simple built-in brick fireplace. We need to put new floor and new ceiling in.

Additionally, the room as entrances to our garage, our back patio/yard, and our laundry/storage/workshop area. In other words, there is a lot of traffic going through here and stuff of all sorts will be tracked in. We have 2 very active little DSs who love to play in the yard and in this room, etc.

This will become their main playroom once it's been completed. I'd like them to be able to ride trikes through there in winter and do projects, etc. I'm thinking about putting a berber rug (that can be rolled up and cleaned!) just between the sofa and fireplace.

Any thoughts on the flooring? I was thinking perhaps ceramic tile. (DH isn't sure this is the easiest to care for long term -- needs re-sealing?) He's thinking more linoleum (maybe to look like tile?). I'd love input from those of you who use areas like this all the time already!

janeybwild
06-14-2008, 09:39 PM
We have cermaic tile in our basement, and I'm not a fan. Yes, its easy to clean so would be good for an entry way, but to play on, even with area rugs, not so good. Its cold in both summer and winter. What about the FLOR carpet tiles? Or, carpet in the play area.

DeeEast
06-14-2008, 10:42 PM
We are finishing our basement soon and are putting in wood laminate. I think it holds up well (depending on the brand) and it looks nice. Plus you can put down area rugs wherever you want.

emmiem
06-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Is there a sump pump in the basement? If so, there is a potential for flooding. I would not but something as permanent as wood laminate or ceramic tile. I would do cheaper carpet or vinyl.
Michele

bethie_73
06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
The last basement we finished was not a walk out, and we put carpet/wood laminate. Although we knew we didn't flood so we weren't as worried. The rental we are in now has a walk out, but it is all carpet.

Ceramic tile is nice, but unless there is some type of radiant floor heating, it is pretty cold. I would do linoleum or wood laminate if you do not have a flooding issue. If there are concerns then a laminate tile or carpet tile is a good choice since you can just replace the bad.

Here, with the walk out, I wish we had a place that was easy for clean up for coming inside, but it is a rental, so we won't be here long term.

joyful mommy
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Comments and ideas and experiences are still welcome. :)

The FLOR carpet tiles have caught our attention, thanks so much for this suggestion. We've looked into them and are ordering a sample to preview. I still wonder, as Bethie mentioned, about carpet by the back door.

Wood laminate is a consideration, but am wondering how well this would really hold up at the backyard entryway - used often by 2 young DCs in all sorts of weather. How quickly would mud/water have to be cleaned off and dried, for example. Our patio needs some work so at least some dirt drags in fairly often. Even after the patio is repaired, I'm sure our DCs will manage to drag stuff in.

I want something that will work well for a block area, train area, puzzle area, etc. too. Wood should be good for this, not so sure about the carpet though.

No need for sump pump here, so that isn't a concern. Thanks for thinking of this consideration though.