PDA

View Full Version : Rating system usage?

lisams
06-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I've seen a few announcement threads rated and I'm kind of wondering what's going on? For some reason it seems to leave a wierd feeling with me - like we're now rating members in an indirect (and possibly hurful?) way. In my opinion every new pregnancy or birth should always be 5 stars.

Congrats to all of our BBB members who are expecting or have delivered their sweet little ones!

Emmas Mom
06-14-2008, 01:38 PM
It's kind of sad huh? Personally I think the whole rating system should be disabled (don't know if that's possible though). It's too subjective.

Corie
06-14-2008, 02:14 PM
You know, I've noticed the stars and I've always wondered why
there are ratings for some threads and not on others.

How do the stars get there? Are the stars put there by the original
poster? Like she thinks her topic is very important, top-notch?

Or is this a rating system done by other posters who think it's
a great thread?

Just curious! Because frankly, I think ALL of my threads deserve
a 5-star rating. Especially my one about the Swingers. :)

kijip
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I didn't even notice it at first...my husband did. It looks like 1 person has been taking a second to rate some threads 5 stars, esp announcement threads. Then later, J noticed the thread wencit so kindly started about our hoped for new baby was lower in stars. Seems really obnoxious and petty to me but if people have nothing better to do with their time than hate someone they have never met...it's not my problem. :wavey: Peace.

I honestly don't find it hurtful (HOW could I with the plethora of well wishes?) but I do find it really childish. One thing I value about BBB is the idea that we can disagree with someone on any number of topics but still support them as a parent and fellow human being. I'm just a person, with a husband, a son, a baby on the way, a career, a few hobbies and volunteer activities, quirks and all. Maybe it is easy for some to forget all that because they don't like my opinions or style, but I am proud that for most here that is not the case- I see all you wonderful ladies (and man/men/Bill) as parents to learn from and in the case of many, laugh with. I don't care if we support different candidates or have a different approach to discipline or TV time or jello pops. Terrible is an awful word/rating to use for someone's family and I like to think we are all bigger people than to do that.

Now, Corie, I am going to start rating all your threads 5 stars and then we can go audition for Solid Gold the comeback series together. :boogie:

kijip
06-14-2008, 02:39 PM
How do the stars get there? Are the stars put there by the original
poster? Like she thinks her topic is very important, top-notch?

It is a user thing. Anyone can vote for any thread. I have only ever seen it on announcements and really, exceptionally, helpful threads with lots of information. Like the homeschooling thread.

MontrealMum
06-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Honestly, I had never really noticed or paid much attention to ratings for threads, but shouldn't there be some tacit rules or decorum here, as in, don't rain on someone's pregnancy announcement? Really :nono:

I have decided to give Katie's congrats thread an "excellent" because this whole low ratings thing sucks. That only brings it up to a 4-star ...so c'mon, lets boost those stars. And really, who rates a pregnancy announcement as less than excellent? Maybe I'm just having a stressful day with a huge deadline looming, but I am affronted on Katie's behalf. Here is how I feel about this, and all, pregnancy announcements :yay:

dcmom2b3
06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
['
Here is how I feel about this, and all, pregnancy announcements :yay:

Ditto. There aren't enough stars in the sky . . .

katie, congrats. DD says: rfdfdopdsht. which I think means "congratulations, to katie, now come and read hop on pop AGAIN. before I pull the space bar off the keyboard."

Best,

MH

strollerqueen
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree. I've always thought it to be hurtful. If a post is offensive, then remove it. Otherwise, it's not nice to rate someone's opinion as good or bad. And again, Katie, BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

kijip
06-14-2008, 03:44 PM
And again, Katie, BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Thanks Janet. I am going to have to head over to your lands to poke around trying to replace the Mac Techno and MBUS I got rid of prematurely. :ROTFLMAO:

ellies mom
06-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks Janet. I am going to have to head over to your lands to poke around trying to replace the Mac Techno and MBUS I got rid of prematurely. :ROTFLMAO:

Wow! I'm sorry, I didn't notice the news!! Congrats and sticky vibes.

I know that feeling you get when you have to replace all the stuff you got rid of. We were done so we sold off almost everything then we changed our minds. It really hurt to have to buy most of it back. But on the plus side, the infant seats have higher length limits now and pouch slings come in some beautiful fabrics these day.

kristenk
06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Can you tell who rated a particular thread and, if so, what they rated it?

maestramommy
06-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Silly me. I've seen this system before on another forum and I thought more stars mean more pages on the thread:p

Okay who honestly cares? Enjoy the thread if you want, ignore it if you don't.

elliput
06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
It's kind of sad huh? Personally I think the whole rating system should be disabled (don't know if that's possible though). It's too subjective.

This is exactly the reason the user rating system was not implemented when we made the switch to vBulletin.

octmom
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
This is exactly the reason the user rating system was not implemented when we made the switch to vBulletin.

I was happy to see the ratings go. I can understand putting a star on threads that contain really helpful info (e.g, Feeding 101 or Diapering 101, the one in ATH about pea gravel, etc.), but when they are about personal matters, it really seems like a popularity contest and I don't think we need that here. JMHO. :shrug:

KBecks
06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I was happy to see the ratings go. I can understand putting a star on threads that contain really helpful info (e.g, Feeding 101 or Diapering 101, the one in ATH about pea gravel, etc.), but when they are about personal matters, it really seems like a popularity contest and I don't think we need that here. JMHO. :shrug:
:yeahthat:

I scan things in New Posts mode a lot and that view doesn't show the stars, so I frequently miss what is rated what. I have rated a few informational threads with stars because I felt they were very helpful threads. I hadn't noticed the trend of stars on personal announcements and I'm sad to see that it's being used negatively.

ETA: I did notice stars on the swinger thread and thought it was weird!

LarsMal
06-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Silly me. I've seen this system before on another forum and I thought more stars mean more pages on the thread:p

Okay who honestly cares? Enjoy the thread if you want, ignore it if you don't.

Me too! I thought it was either a thread that had a lot of replies or a lot of views.

Emmas Mom
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

And a BIG THANK YOU for that! ITA with Jerilyn, I was VERY happy to see it go!

kijip
06-14-2008, 11:04 PM
ETA: I did notice stars on the swinger thread and thought it was weird!

I did that as a joke from Corie's post in this thread FWIW.

kijip
06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
but when they are about personal matters, it really seems like a popularity contest and I don't think we need that here. JMHO. :shrug:
I think it is less of a popularity contest and more a passive aggressive way of being mean. Too bad for whoever since it didn't hurt like it was presumably intended to. The only reason people started rating it (past the one person who does it to all announcement threads) was because a few people were mean and rated a personal congrats thread 1 star/terrible. We are talking about a baby and a family that will love that baby very much. Frankly, it falls into the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." for me. And unlike in the old format, people can anonymously do this without having to take accountability for their actions. So it is certainly more middle school than some seem to be able to handle. :shrug:

kijip
06-14-2008, 11:13 PM

I have seen boards on this format that lack the thread rating thing. Perhaps that is a good idea here?

KBecks
06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
I have seen boards on this format that lack the thread rating thing. Perhaps that is a good idea here?

I think it would be fine to remove that feature on this board. It doesn't get used that much anyway and so it doesn't seem like it would be missed.

KBecks
06-15-2008, 08:38 AM

I think it would be fine to remove that feature on this board. It doesn't get used that much anyway and so it doesn't seem like it would be missed.

And I'm wondering if there is something wiggy with how the stars are working.

Wife_and_mommy
06-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I think it is less of a popularity contest and more a passive aggressive way of being mean. So it is certainly more middle school than some seem to be able to handle. :shrug:

:yeahthat: I miss being able to rate members who had been helpful and kind to me. Wish some juveniles hadn't ruined it for all of us.

kijip
06-15-2008, 12:46 PM
:yeahthat: I miss being able to rate members who had been helpful and kind to me. Wish some juveniles hadn't ruined it for all of us.

I honestly only recall a couple of posters using negatives on any sort of regular basis in the years that we had that system. I used it once and immediately realized there was no need to retaliate against a person using the rating systems to hurt instead of thank/praise.

Wife_and_mommy
06-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I honestly only recall a couple of posters using negatives on any sort of regular basis in the years that we had that system. I used it once and immediately realized there was no need to retaliate against a person using the rating systems to hurt instead of thank/praise.

I didn't mean the negatives some received as much as the fact that some had higher ratings than others. It made sense that if you'd been around longer, you'd have more points. Presumably it's not around because some thought it was a popularity contest. Seems too p.c. for my taste.

I do disagree with a pg announcement thread being rated terrible. Seriously? That person needs to get a life pronto.