PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal yoga dvd's?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know of a good yoga exercise dvd to use during pregancy? I almost bought one last night at borders but decided against it when the clerk said if I didn't like it I couldn't return it once it had been opened. What a crock!!! So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions .Thanks.

kijip
06-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll watch this thread with you since I am interested too. We are pregnancy pals now I guess. :p

One thing I am planning on doing this time is a prenatal exercise class. A bonus will be meeting other soon to be moms.

writermama
06-14-2008, 05:36 PM
On Edit: On Search, here are my reviews:

Ok, so I have a few of them in my collection.

Yoga Mama -- my favorite. Not the perfect class for everyone, but I like the variety of bodies and pregnancy stages in the class, I like the pose sequence, and I like the idea of offering modifications based on how you feel not just which trimester you're in. Instructor is "perky" and has a sense of humor about pregnancy.

Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rhea -- longer class, only 3 women (1 per trimester), nice sequence of poses (though I got tired of doing the side stretches when I didn't have those problems), nice studio looks like a living room, nice music, didn't like the idea that modifications were by trimester (if I felt good in my 3rd trimester, I'd follow the 1st or 2nd trimester modifications or on a low energy day in the 1st trimester, I'd follow the 3rd trimester modifications). Instructor is "new agey" with a breathy quality in her voice (I couldn't stand the way she says "exhale").

FitMama -- not really a yoga video at all, it's a low impact aerobic dance sequence with a yoga-inspired stretching section. Good dance sequences (easy and fun), effective stretches, but not the meditative quality you get from yoga. Nice bonus features for labor prep and during labor positions. Perky instructor. Like the "workout to music only" option that you can use after you learn the routine -- helpful if instructor starts to bug you. I really liked this one last time, haven't used it this time, though.

ZenMama -- 3 instructors 1 per trimester, nice sequence of poses, this might even be my favorite pose sequence, but I haven't done it enough to be sure. Instructor lacks a production quality voice -- she speaks in a monotone, has a sense of humor, though. Like FitMama, this one lets you do the routine with music only which helps if the voice bugs you.

Prenatal Yoga Complete -- most comprehensive program I have ever seen. Poses for each trimester and for specific problems. this is restorative yoga, so it doesn't flow like many yoga classes and it involves a heavy use of props. You will need a chair, a pile of pillows or bolsters, and access to a wall. You may need to pause the dvd to set up for a pose. Once in a pose, you hold it longer than in most other programs. I call this kind of yoga "yoga for cough potatoes" because you really focus on relaxing into a pose. I haven't' used this one much because I prefer the flow and sequence of other DVDs I have, and because I find the props a little cumbersome, but I really should try this one on days when I decide I'm too tired to do anything and just collapse on the couch.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Honestly, the best thing would be to borrow each of these from a library and see what works best for you. That's what I wanted to do, but I ended up having to buy them because my library didn't have them. I really wish Amazon would show a short preview clip, the way they do for music -- if I could hear the instructor in action for a few minutes I would probably be able to tell if I'd like her style or not.

(More recs from others in this thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235362&highlight=yoga )

fivi2
06-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Netflix has tons of workout dvds. You can try them out that way.

Also, videofitness.com is a great resource for workout dvd reviews.

And collagevideo.com does have 30 second clips of the videos they carry. Here is a link to the Shiva Rea one the pp mentioned:
http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/baby-ready-yoga-pre-and-postnatal-9325