PDA

View Full Version : 2 and 3 too young to share a bed?

buddyleebaby
06-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi all.
Currently DD1 is in a crib converted to a toddler bed, and DD2 is in a crib.
I was planning on making the converted crib back into a crib when baby arrives, and letting dd1 pick out a "big girl" single bed.
BUT DD1 is in MY bed almost every night, and although DD2 will sleep through the night in her crib, she also likes to snuggle up to fall asleep.
So now I am thinking a better plan might be to replace my Queen size bed with a king (I think we will need the room), move the Queen to the guestroom, and take the double from the guestroom for the girls to have in their room and take down both cribs.
I'm just not sure if two and three is too young to share a bed, safety wise.
Thoughts?

kijip
06-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I can't comment on the safety issue specifically but I shared a bed with my younger sibling (who is 2 years younger) from the time we were about 2 and 4 on and off (mostly on) until we were 8 and 10. Heck, even when we had our own beds, we would often share out of sheer choice. It seems that sharing a bed would be safer than using a bunk bed too soon.

Emmas Mom
06-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Our 4 & 2 year olds share a bed right now. They have a full. We're going to eventually get a twin over full bunk for them but they're just a bit too little still. We have it pushed up against the wall & little DD sleeps on the side by the wall & is a bit of a thrasher still but so far they've done fine. Older DD does fine on the outside. We haven't had any safety issues come up.

KrisM
06-15-2008, 10:07 AM
When we're up north at my parents cottage, DD and DS share. They're 2 and 4.

lizajane
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
do it! they will love it!! my 2 and 4 shared a bed last year. i told schuyler he could have his own bed whenever he wanted, and just after 5, he did ask for it. (really because dylan is naughty at bedtime and drove his brother crazy!) they snuggled each other and it was precious. sometimes dylan still asks to sleep with schuyler (they still share a room) and schuyler lets him. it is SO convenient! only one bed to make, easy to read stories to both, easy to snuggle both as they get ready to fall asleep...

fortato
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I would definitely move the queen bed to the guest bedroom. Your guests would be very happy.

Oh- and I think it's ok for the girls to sleep together, if you buy a single bed, they are just going to cram into one bed anyway... why not make it easy on yourself.

I do think this is just a plot to get yourself a king size bed though...(wink)

MommyAllison
06-15-2008, 04:38 PM
My sister and I shared at 2 and 4, maybe earlier? I had just turned 4 when we moved, and I know we shared at that point. I'd go for it too.

icunurse
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Just something else to look into - make sure it is safe for your toddler bed to be converted back to a crib. We have used two convertible cribs (Pali and IKEA) and both state in the instructions that once made into a toddler bed it isn't recommended to convert back to a crib. I'm not sure why, honestly, but you might want to check into that.