PDA

View Full Version : Do you yard sale? Thrift shop? Consignment shop?

brittone2
06-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I've gone through phases in my life where I've thought it was not worth the time or effort, and phases where I've loved it.

I will hit thrift places or consignment shops every few weeks, depending on our needs. Any more than that, I tend to overbuy. I had some favorite places when I lived in PA, and then when I moved to NC I had to find the good spots again!

I'm not a big yard saler. However, I really love the big community ones where there are many sellers in one neighbhorhood. I'll usually look for the better neighborhoods and then I can usually find decent stuff. I haven't really hit many yard sales for quite a while as DD hates the car, but yesterday DH took my kiddos so my mom and I could hit a big sale in a great neighborhood.

Some of yesterday's scores:
-Like new Land's End playdress for 25 cents, Healthtex peasant top (super cute) for 25 cents.
-Pile of name brand long sleeve tees, shorts, etc. for DS for this winter and next summer. Mulberribush, Gymbo, etc. Some were more play quality, but most were in EUC. I got him a huge pile for $4. Oh, and a Nautica winter coat for $4.
-EUC Boon potty bench for $2
-Thomas destinations for $1 each. DS always liked the little stop/go shack thingie and I found that yesterday, along with a Thomas grain mill. Neither were recalled from what I could tell. I also picked up some extra track (like switching track, which he didn't have).
-Sandbox excavator toy (DS is in LOVE) for $9
-great large shelf for DD's room. Very much like something from PBK. I was going to have DH build one, but I found this one for $3, painted and ready to hang. It is about 4' in length. $3
-books and several homeschooly things. Usborne encyclopedia, a butterfly lifecycle book (we just got a butterfly house and have to send away for our catepillars, so this was perfect timing), etc.
-French memo board that matches DD's room colors. I was going to make one. I found a cute one for $2. I finally have a place to keep her growing supply of hair clips, etc :)
-a dry erase large calendar. I was just thinking of buying one of these for our kitchen. 50 cents.
-Felt kids set for $5 (really really nice set)
-Baseball glove for DS (he's been asking for one). It is still a wee bit big but it was $2 and he's happy with it.

A few days ago I hit goodwill and got a bunch of brand new American Girl doll books for DD. They had never been opened. I'm putting them away in the attic for a few years from now, which is a little crazy. I also scored DD an adorable like-new Gymbo dress w/ tulips all over it for $2.50. It is insanely cute.

We also have some great consignment shops in the area. One is having a big clearance/yard sale next weekend.

When we first moved to the area a local Waldorf school had a Katrina fundraiser that was a tag sale. I got some awesome buys there. Marble track (wooden) for $1, wooden cash register for $8, etc.

What have been your best buys from yard, thrift, or consignment places?

DO you think yard sales are worth the time? Do you go regularly? Do you generally find good stuff? Do you prefer to shop consignment/craigslist? (I usually do, but will hit the neighborhood sales if I suspect the stuff will be nice in that particular neighborhood).

I really wanted to find a bike for DS but am holding out because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. We're looking for a 16 incher like the Trek Jet. DS won't be able to ride it for a bit yet (he's right on the line between needing a 12 and a 16 inch. He's a shorter 4 year old). I was also hoping to score a scooter but the one I saw was overpriced and rusty.

DH is pursuing his PhD and I find shopping thrift/consignment/etc. for the kids first really stretches our budget. I then fill in the missing pieces from other places, and I usually buy 2 special new outfits or so per season (something I really love from HA, etc.). I'm hoping that once DH is finished we'll continue our thrifty ways.

Anyone do The Compact here?

egoldber
06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I voted usually not worth it, but the "hate it" modifier is a bit strong. ;)

When Sarah was an infant I found tons of things at a local re-sale shop that I liked for her. But as she got older I found the clothes to not be in good shape and not worth it.

Around here I think people expect too much money for used clothes at yard sales. I mean I don't care if it is babyGap, I'm not paying $5 for a well worn onesie. And sorry, but my idea of fun on a Saturday morning is not loading up the car at 6 am to hit the sales by 7 or 8.

OTOH my community does a big yard sale in the fall and I did shop there (since it was literally in my backyard). ;) My score there was that I got Sarah a fabulous winter coat for $5. I got a tub of Lego Duplos for 50 cents. A bag of unopened Medela strerilizer bags for $1. Stuff like that. But I would never be able to rely on yard sales for my kids wardrobes without going to them religiously and I just don't think its worth it.

In general I am also really, really, really trying to buy less stuff and to buy only what I NEED and to only buy on deep sale or discount.

elliput
06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I go through phases and consider myself somewhere in between loving it and hating it.

KBecks
06-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I voted love it, but... know that I don't get to go very often so it's a special treat and I only go to a very few targeted sales. There are big children's resale events hosted by a community org 2x a year, I go to rummages in 2 neighborhoods where I know people, and I visit 2 resale shops where I've had good luck.

I focus on kids clothing, toys, and I love buying really great kids books for $0.50 - $3.00 each. Sometimes it's hit or miss, but I think I've done great overall and I find that time enjoyable so it's a treat for me too.

This blog is by a mom of 3 who does thrifting and simple, frugal living, she's one of my favorites to read:
http://likemerchantships.blogspot.com/

MontrealMum
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I also voted "love it" but I don't shop at just any garage/yard/consignment store. I don't do garage or yard sales at all because they don't seem to be worth it up here - in MI there was a huge culture of summer garage sales and there were great things to be had, but it's just junk here. I do go to thrift stores and consignment shops, especially certain ones in better neighborhoods since I know they tend to have good things. Sometimes my time is worth more tha the savings since I am juggling alot of things right now. I balance shopping in regular stores, with sales and outlets, and the thrift/consignment thing.

brittone2
06-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I voted usually not worth it, but the "hate it" modifier is a bit strong. ;)

When Sarah was an infant I found tons of things at a local re-sale shop that I liked for her. But as she got older I found the clothes to not be in good shape and not worth it.

In general I am also really, really, really trying to buy less stuff and to buy only what I NEED and to only buy on deep sale or discount.

Agreeing with you!!

DS is now 4 and it is really hard to find boy clothes in his size that are in decent shape. Like you, I'm not paying several dollars for a tee shirt w/ tons of wash wear. I have a tough time finding anything for him.

This past week I hit goodwill and found some EUC Rugby shirts (long sleeved) for him for 2.50ish a piece and snapped them up because I find so little usable stuff in his size in general. Oh, and a pair of EUC Healthtex khakis for the same price. I tend to buy what I can for him 2nd hand and then try to fill in the gaps (easier w/ a boy to fill in with jeans/khakis as needed, especially since that's all he'll wear). In general though I really struggle to find stuff in his size.

We get quite a few hand me downs from friends/family for DD, but we don't know many people w/ boys that are only slightly older than he is. So DD is usually flush with stuff (too much actually and I usually pass it on or consign) but I almost always have to find clothing for.

Even Goodwill in my area is usually overpriced IMO. There are no half off days or anything and the stuff is usually soooo worn and they still want 2-3 bucks for each item (which saddens me for those that need to buy 2nd hand and really don't have any other option). I found a small church run thrift place in my community that runs a lot of days where they have half off kid clothes/shoes, etc.. For some reason I never find that much clothing there, but I'll often find great shoes. I used to think 2nd hand shoes were totally gross, but I found DS a pair of barely worn (they had a teensy bit of scuffing on the soles but the insoles, etc. looked brand new. They looked like they were work once or twice) Geox sneaks for $3 and t hen got half off.

kijip
06-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I love it but I only do it selectively- church sales, preschool fundraisers, multifamily or subdivision sales that are once a year things in areas with lots of kids. That generally gets me quality items at low prices. Also at the preschool sales everything is 1/2 off after a certain time... lots of deals to be had then!

buddyleebaby
06-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I never had much luck at yard sales in NY, and I have yet to try here in PA. I have gotten quite a few things (Children's books/toys) at Church/Synagogue rummage sales and so I do like to go to those.

I'm still looking for a good consignment store.

ShanaMama
06-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I'll bite. I'm a snob. I don't really like getting second hand things because I am OCD about cleanliness & germs. I'd rather buy on sale or have less things than buy someone else's used things.
That said, MIL is a very generous person with very limited funds. Yard sales are her life. She lives in a pretty nice neighborhood & scores great finds. She is the woman who leaves her house at 6 am to hit all the yard sales first & then calls me to ask if I want a couch, excersize bike, jungle gym or whatnot. I have really tried to get over my aversion to used things because I know it makes her so happy to be able to give us something & she'd never be able to afford it new. So, alot of DD's baby stuff (swing, pack n play, bassinet) came from yard sales. As did most of her riding toys & many of her inside toys. With the baby things I insisted that everything be washed/ scrubbed down with bleach. The riding toys I just wiped down- those at least aren't being mouthed by an infant! And I have a beautiful Little Tikes tunnel/slide climbing thing in my backyard that retails for at least $250. MIL paid $30 for it.

m448
06-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Due to their ages and our geographic location (which means slim pickings) I prefer to do craigslist. I hit a local thriftstore a couple of months ago with both kids in tow and it was an exercise in frustration.

So I craigslist a lot. I try to keep in check though as I've been in major decluttering mode for the last couple of years so I don't buy ahead too much and I keep the toy situation super paired down due to the boys temperament.

ellies mom
06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm with Beth. "Hate" is a bit strong but it usually isn't worth it to me.

I admire people that can go out and find all the bargains but I don't have the patience to dig through all the garbage to get the gems. There are two resale shops in the area that I've had luck with for girls clothing but even then I mostly buy their new WAHM stuff rather than their used stuff.

As for garage sales and baby gear, either it is all grungy looking or stuff I don't want, plus I'm not a morning person. We tried to shop the resale shops for baby gear this time around but everything we found that we liked was grungy and over-priced so we ended up buying new.

DrSally
06-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I like tag sales, esp. with DS this age. He loves to go and look around and interact with the other kids, so it's a nice morning outing for us. If I had an infant as well, it may be more hassle than it's worth. I've found the best things for me to get are : baby clothes for the new baby (usually in great condition compared to toddler clothes) and big toys. I usually invest some time in cleaning things up, but then they look like new. Sometimes you can find some cute toys that aren't made anymore, like a little tykes mailbox minus letters for $1. I also do CL, but usually negotiate on price. Once I got 4 Little people playsets for $30. I spent a lot of time cleaning them up, but it was a lot of LP. I generally don't find consignment shops worth it b/c they toys are almost full price and the clothes are double what I'd pay at a garage sale.

MommyAllison
06-15-2008, 04:50 PM
It's usually not worth it to me to garage sale or shop consignment, and I don't shop thrift stores as they are overpriced here for things that I could buy cheaper on sale, brand new. Once or twice a year I'll go to a neighborhood garage sale. Our consignment store chain is clueless (they never take my Hanna or Naartjie because they don't know what it is *sigh* but they'll mark Circo as "brand name clothing") so I mostly just consign and rarely shop.

My one fun bargain hunt is that the consignment shop has a once a month 25 cent sale, where they put out everything out-of-season and things that they didn't take or that have been donated to the store, and everything is 25 cents each. It's all mixed together, boy/girl/adult/maternity, sizes are all mixed together. The thrill of the hunt. ;) I've found some great stuff, which is what keeps me going back each month (sans kids). Hanna zippers for 25 cents in EUC? Yeah, I'll take that.

AngelaS
06-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I LOVE garage sales! (Interesting tidbit--in Iowa they're garage sales, in Wisconsin they're rummage sales which sounds so low class, but I go anyway. LOL)

I buy 90% of my girls' clothes at garage sales. Today one child's wearing an adorable tie dye shirt that cost me a quarter, her little sister has on a super cute Gap tank and matching shorts that was $3 and the littlest one has on a Gymboree set that I think I paid $1 for.

I go about every weekend so I can be picky. My MIL said I'm a brand name snob and I am! I hit one sale a few weeks ago and bought my G gobs and gobs of Ralph Lauren and Tommy stuff for fall. The next weekend I happened upon one full of Gymboree in my little one's size for fall--everything was under $2! They all have Columbia coats for winter that I've bought for under $10 each.

My best buys? A $40 double Burley bike trailer, $45 American Girl dolls, (which I thought was a stellar deal until I found one for $4.50 and one for $5.00 two weekends later!), a $1200 sewing machine for $400. The list goes on and on! I bought everything for my first baby at garage sales, sold all after my second and bought even better stuff for the last one. :D

KrisM
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I love the garage sales and mom-2-mom sales. I get most of the kids clothing at mom-2-mom sales. I get toys at garage sales.

This week, I bought 24 1000-piece puzzles for $10 for my uncle who loves puzzles and then donates them to the library. He'll pay me for them even. He'll be very happy to have me drop them off!

I also got DD a Columbia Tectonite winter coat and snow bibs for $15. I bought the Scholastic Clifford value pack, still in the package for $3. That's 24 brand-new books. DS got first rollerblades for his birthday and those were $3 from a garage sale last year.

In the past, I bought a like-new Cozy Coupe for $10, a FP Rock-Ride-Roll for $10,a Kangaroo Climber for $10, a kids picnic table for $5, a wooden table with 2 chairs (kids) $15, a scooter for DS for $2 (razor w/3 wheels), a working Leapster for $3, a Step2 roller coaster for $20. Our yard is full of great toys for the kids without spending a fortune!

brittone2
06-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I love the garage sales and mom-2-mom sales.

We have great mom-2-mom sales here in NC. They are really well run and well organized. I always want to consign but the consigning end is kind of a PITB because they have super specific criteria for how things must be hung, tagged, what color cardstock to tag things with, etc. and I never have the time or energy (I can consign at a great local shop just by dropping off clean stuff in a box which is easier for me).

When I was in PA I don't remember them having huge Mom-2-mom sales but here there are many really huge sales like that (there is still a lot of overpriced stuff but there are usually some deals in there, and at least everything is nicely hung, organized, etc. which isn't always true of thrift places).

I wish I could get my butt in gear to actually consign at some of the mom to mom sales as that gives you the right to shop early (which would be my primary motivation in consigning in the first place).

WatchingThemGrow
06-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I need to preface each part of my answer - only w/o DC. 25 mos and 7 mo - too challenging to manage at such events alone, and they're usually not worth setting up the double stroller...

Yard sale- when I can...DH has an early Sat. a.m. commitment that keeps me from being able to go most of the year. I'm pretty picky when I do go, and I really only like to go when they are whole neighborhoods participating.

Thrift shops - When I'm in the area and have time to spare. Maybe 1-2x/month I make it to a store. We have several good ones around where I've found HA long johns for $4, LL Bean diaper bag for $3. Our Goodwill is $2.49/item, so I'm not as thrilled by that. I DID score a brand new(never assembled) Plasma Car for $7.49 a couple months ago. That was a hit! I think there are a lot of people who hit these stores, so they are somewhat picked over by the time I get there.

Thrift shops in a different climate ROCK, though. In FL, I picked up a suitcase full of EUC Gymboree, Gap, Little Me, RL, etc. clothing for no more than $1/piece - sweaters, overalls, long sleeved shirts.

Consignment shop - Not really. The ones in our area seem like their stuff is pretty worn, old, outdated. There's probably stuff there, I just find it for other places cheaper.

The bulk of my used clothing comes from the twice yearly consignment sale where I volunteer and shop first, or a family I've found on Craigslist who would sell us complete outfits for a fair price. Those were probably my favorites. The thrift shop, yard sale one-item-at-a-time deals kinda bug me in that I have to spend time/thought trying to find stuff to pair them with.

The bulk of our used toys come from CL, the big consignment sale, or preschool/montessori school sales. I've also found some fun items at Mothers' Club sales. It's SO funny how much differently people value their used items.

WatchingThemGrow
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I wish I could get my butt in gear to actually consign at some of the mom to mom sales as that gives you the right to shop early (which would be my primary motivation in consigning in the first place).

I think you live really close to me, and you should look in to volunteering at the sale rather than just consigning. You get to shop before sellers. The sellers' day is a very busy event, but shopping with the volunteers is absolutely wonderful!!! Check soon, though as the spots do fill up. I actually TRY to consign and sell my passes to make up for the fees.

hillview
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I am more middle of the road. I like the yardsales for outdoor toys. That is about it. I don't ever make an effort to go but will sometime stop by. My mom does go to them more often and finds good stuff (outside toys).
/hillary

KBecks
06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Agreeing with you!!

DS is now 4 and it is really hard to find boy clothes in his size that are in decent shape. Like you, I'm not paying several dollars for a tee shirt w/ tons of wash wear. I have a tough time finding anything for him.
In general though I really struggle to find stuff in his size.

We get quite a few hand me downs from friends/family for DD, but we don't know many people w/ boys that are only slightly older than he is. So DD is usually flush with stuff (too much actually and I usually pass it on or consign) but I almost always have to find clothing for.

Have you scouted Target's clearance racks? I've lucked out there twice now -- once when Alek was potty training I needed sweatpants and found two pairs for $4 each, and then I just scored a few pairs of elastic waist shorts on clearance for $3 each. If you haven't already, it's worth a quick look now and then.

VClute
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you live really close to me, and you should look in to volunteering at the sale rather than just consigning. You get to shop before sellers. The sellers' day is a very busy event, but shopping with the volunteers is absolutely wonderful!!! Check soon, though as the spots do fill up. I actually TRY to consign and sell my passes to make up for the fees.

I, too, live in NC, and I *live* for yardsaling, thrifting and consignment sale/shop shopping. Seriously. I run our MOPS sale here in my town, and I volunteer at a few up in the Triangle. (Yes, VOLUNTEER for the big ones - the consignors days are too darn crowded and cut-throat.) Yardsales are my favorite by FAR, though. Consignment shops and even thrifts are too expensive. I'm looking for those under-a-dollar scores.

There was a time when I would buy anything - ANYTHING -that was by one of the brands I seek out, just because I knew it was a good find - whether it would work for my child(ren) or not. Now I'm much more selective. If they can't/won't wear it or use it, I leave it for someone else. I've also been trying "the Secret" method of yardsale shopping - Think really positively that I'm GOING TO FIND the pyrex portable or bunk bed set or smocked bishop dress of my dreams, and it's been working well!

I'm a morning person, so leaving the house before 6 is not tough. And DH understands that Saturday mornings are the ONE demand I make on him. (Plus leaving before anyone is up makes it a lot easier to get out.) It's been more difficult to justify to MYSELF because of the heinous gas prices, but it's still a much cheaper form of entertainment than many others!

SnuggleBuggles
06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
It isn't worth my time. I go to one community sale each year and that is it. I focus my attention almost exclusively on toys for older ds. I had planned to buy the baby some toys but then I thought about how much my ds spits up on stuff and got grossed out. Yes, I could clean them but I have so much of my own stuff to clean that I don't want to add any more work! Also, I hate shopping at disorganized places. Even if the sale is super organized I still get overwhelmed. Oh, and finally, I am way too competitive! I hate feeling like if I don't get there right away I'll miss out...or that someone will beat me to it. Last year I was too polite and lost out on something when me and another woman showed up at the same time. She scored a great playhouse for $20 and I got nothing. Grr...

Mostly I just don't buy much stuff so when I do I really don't mind paying for it. For me, it is only a bargain if it is something I actually already wanted and/ or needed and it happens to be on sale. I don't like buying stuff just because it is a good deal. I'm the kind of person who will take 1+ month to make up my mind to buy something- I'm not an impulse buyer.

That said, some of your bargains sound great! :)

Beth

zephyr
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I LOVE yard sales. And I've had pretty good luck with them. I would prefer the neighborhood sales in the nicer neighborhoods just because I noticed these usually carried more name brand stuff. I mostly go for ds, although he and DH are usually asleep when I leave or sometimes DH will come with me. And mostly for toys. I am proud to say that many of his toys are from craigslist or yard sales. Everything does get scrubbed and sanitized though. I really don't like paying retail prices for kids toys when I know they're going to get broken, lost, etc. But I am really picky about brands and I usually ask myself would I buy this item brand new at the store if I could afford it. Some of my finds:

-BOB jogging stroller used a couple times: $60
-Pottery Barn wooden blocks: $
-Big wooden activity cube: $15
-STEP 2 work bench w/tools EUC: $20
-Richard Scarry's books (my ds's favorite author) $1-2.00 apiece
-Toddler sled: $1
-Snow overalls: $1
-Numerous brand name clothing in EUC

KrisM
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
We have great mom-2-mom sales here in NC. They are really well run and well organized. I always want to consign but the consigning end is kind of a PITB because they have super specific criteria for how things must be hung, tagged, what color cardstock to tag things with, etc. and I never have the time or energy (I can consign at a great local shop just by dropping off clean stuff in a box which is easier for me).

Ours are well organized too. We have a list of them all at www.mom2momlist.org. The spring season is over, so not much is listed, but usually there are about 20 each weekend throughout metro-Detroit.

We don't have rules about tagging though. Each seller sets up in her space and sells for herself. The organization putting it on collects the entrance fee ($1 usually) and runs the large item area, but otherwise doesn't have a say in how you sell your items.

DS really likes shirts with stripes. I scored 9 short-sleeve size 5T shirts from Old Navy and Gymboree for $1 each at one table. Love it!

strollerqueen
06-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Um,OK, do you know what happens when you click on your "Mom to mom" link? Yeah, ads for porn sites.

strollerqueen
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
By the way, is it possible to get a virus from clicking on a link like that? (i.e. one for porn sites or something else unsavory.) TIA!