PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work/help with resume!

hallelujah
06-15-2008, 04:41 PM
So, I have to get a j-o-b, and I am having a bit of a tough time. I have not worked since '03, and I am not sure what to put on my cover letter except that I have been a stay-at-home mom and am now looking to get back into the workforce. Also, my resume is CRAPPY (IMO) I use to job-hop, and so I was at no one job longer than a year. I also have an objective listed, which is what I was taught to put on my resume 10 years ago in high school. My objective is very basic, and a friend told me that people don't even really use objectives anymore on their resumes.

I really, really need you all's help on this one. I don't know if you remember my past posts, but DH and I are having a bit of a tough time. I need to get on my feet, and there is a job opening with an international company that I feel would be the best pick-me-up I could possibly use at this time. I'm pretty certain that I will soon be separated, and I need to get on my feet. Being a stay-at-home mom with not much "human" interaction has put me in a funk. I am so stressed about finding a job, and not entirely confident with my resume/interview skills. If anyone could just give me a great website to give me resume ideas (although I have googled tons of resume samples already) or maybe someone on here works in an HR dept and can give me some pointers, I just really need my resume to stand out.
Thanks!!!

kusumat
06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I would definitely put your resume on the monster. I got a lot of calls when I posted mine there. You just follow the step by step instruction on the site in term of the resume

http://www.monster.com/

If your work experience is limited, the best shot is trying to ask around to see whether anyone you know might have an inside connection in the Company you are interested. Networking or personal connection is the easiest way to get a job.

Sorry to hear about your difficult time. I am currently a SAHM by choice but really want to go back to work when the kids start preschool. So, I will be out of the job market 5 yrs till then.

In term of the interview tips, several head hunters helped me on that. The job I got wasn't through them. Normally, they are free and will get part of your salary if you end up taking the job through them. If you are going to use them, ask first to make sure.

Good luck and be confident.

dcmom2b3
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
but I did recruiting/mentoring for my old firm for years. I'd be happy to give you any assistance I can. Would you feel comfortable pm-ing me a copy of your resume and a description of the job opening that you're looking at? Delete personal info if you'd like, I won't be offended.

I'm in a similar funk/dire situation, BTW, so you've got a totally sympathetic audience with me.

Take care,

Mary-Helen

bubbaray
06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I've helped lots of people with their resumes. So, I'm also offering my help, if you want to PM me (and remove all personal details).

Sorry to hear about your situation -- hugs!

hallelujah
06-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I pm'd both of you.

ThreeofUs
06-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this.

Sounds like you have lots of offers of help, so mine would be a bit of overkill.

But don't forget to put in every bit of volunteer, church, social - anything - work you've done since you've been SAHM'ing. These matter.