PDA

View Full Version : Roundabout installation help needed

mommabear
06-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I am out of town and don't have my manual. When RF how do I use the lockoffs? Do I use both or just one? Do you have to use them to be safe?
thanks

noodle
06-15-2008, 07:48 PM
My manual says, "Only use the lockoff farthest from where the vehicle belt is buckled."
And if your car's seatbelt has an automatic locking retractor, use of the lockoff is optional.

Good luck. :)

DaniannieB
06-15-2008, 07:50 PM
If your seat belts lock, using the lock-offs is optional. You can just lock your seat belt (some lock at the shoulder by pulling the belt all the way out, other lock at the latch plate and you just have to pull the lap portion tight) and forget the lock-offs if you want. If you want to use the lock-offs, Britax prefers that you use the lock-off that is opposite the buckle. You still have the option of using either or both lock-offs. Basically, whatever gets you a secure install.

I can’t get the lockoffs to close on my rear-facing Britax seat. Help!
Tips for getting those darn lockoffs closed

1. Make sure the seat belts aren't directly on top of each other. They will overlap in the center, but spread them out so they take up the entire space inside the lockoff and that will help.

http://www.carseatsite.com/rf%20lockoff%20closeup.bmp

2. Another thing to try is to scoot the base of the seat back away from the seat bight (that crack between the bottom cushion and the back cushion) about an inch or so. That might change the angle that the seat belts go into the lockoffs and let them close.

3. Loosen the seat belt a bit. If it's super tight, it's going to cause those lockoffs to ping open, but with a little slack (but still tight enough so that there's less than 1" of movement at the belt path), they will close. Attaching the tether and snugging it up will tighten the install anyway since it will pull the base up, so that movement will be negligible.

4. Use both lockoffs. Twist the buckle stalk (male end of the buckle) if the buckle is too close to the lockoff closest to it. Twist only what you need to do with a maximum of 3 full twists.

5. Lock both lockoffs, then lock your seat belt carefully so that it doesn't pull up on the edge of the car seat. That way if the lockoffs pop open, the seat belt is still tight.