PDA

View Full Version : The second time mom's dilemma

kijip
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM
So with T, I had him in June and broke out the first pair of maternity pants in March. This time around, despite losing 7 pounds to nausea in 9 weeks, I have a noticeable bump and my pants are too tight on my belly. Since I don't wear a lot of dresses, it is an issue. I had to buy 2 pairs of maternity pants (sort of transitional things) this week. Ugh. Any tips on making it through the next 7 months without breaking the bank? My main issue is working. I run a charitable organization and I can't wear yoga pants/hoodies or the like to work (though come to think of it, I'm in charge. Maybe I should change the dress code, LOL JK, I need to make a good impression to donors, funders and the board). I am assuming that the stuff I bought now won't fit in 5 months (though, depending on the panels, maybe...I didn't gain a lot with T don't expect to this time given the nausea).

elliput
06-15-2008, 11:49 PM
For pants, I would suggest the secret fit belly from Motherhood Maternity. I have one pair with this panel and I love them. I got the pants about 6 weeks ago and there is still a bunch of stretch available for the next 14 weeks.

ellies mom
06-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Bella Band. Or the Motherhood Maternity version.

I wore mine throughout this pregnancy. Because I had regular pants in larger sizes, I actually got through the entire pregnancy without buying maternity pants. I just unzipped them and used an elastic to hold the button/buttonhole "together" and the bella band hid it all.

KBecks
06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, I'd consider this one of those necessary job expenses and spend a couple hundred on clothes that will really work for you and that you'll be happy with. I have found fine clothes at Motherhood for cheap, most wonderfully a pair of machine wash black pants for $30. I've also been happy with Gap bottoms. I only bought maybe 4 work bottoms and rotate a lot but I only work 1 day / week.

I have a blog where I've shared a lot of maternity clothing stuff - the blog is totally neglected but if you want to see some of my work outfits, they're there.
http://mommy-gets-dressed.blogspot.com/ Look at the maternity category and you'll see nearly all my clothes.

I did well at Motherhood. I also tried to work the department store maternity sales when things are 30% off etc.

Afterwards, I plan to sell as much as possible and hopefully recoup a little $.

Enjoy all of it!

JdrKuhnert
06-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I really liked Ann Taylor Loft maternity clothes. They are only available online and there is always some sort of code available. The roll panel pants were great. When I was smaller, I folded it over. As my belly expanded, I unfolded it. They also sell demi panel pants. I found the clothes to run a little big.

ThreeofUs
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
These are all great places to shop, but I have another idea:

Talk to friends, colleagues, family, and volunteers! In maternity as in non-profits, one of the best sources of information and stuff is the grapevine.

I would be willing to bet you'll turn up a stash of professional maternity clothes pretty quickly.

kijip
06-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the great ideas, ladies. I realized I had three maternity blazers in the downstairs closet storage this morning I forgot I ever owned which will help. I am going to spend some $$, just a little worried that if I need some maternity items now by the time I get super pregnant, I'll need a whole different set. I think I could get away with about 5 work outfits because I do have days where I have no appointments where I could easily float with jeans, sharp shoes and a nice top. I am going to check out the bella band and the motherhood pants that were suggested.

I wish I could borrow things but I am either way taller or way thinner or way heavier than all of my mommy/recently pregnant contacts! And those somewhat close/closest to my size are now pregnant or TTC.

KBecks
06-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I loved the Motherhood secret fit waist as well and it worked well in earlier pregnancy. I hated Gap's fold over waist, it's too bunchy.

sarahsthreads
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I bought some Motherhood secret fit belly twill pants and jeans around 10 weeks because I couldn't comfortably button my work pants anymore - and I had actually lost weight at that point! I did feel a like I had to tug them up occasionally because they were a little loose at first, but I can still wear them at 35 weeks, and expect to be just fine in them right up until baby arrives. In fact, I'll probably pack a pair of those jeans to wear home from the hospital - I'll definitely be way more stylish than I was the first time around in sweat pants!

They come in lots of versions now, they were just coming out with that belly style when I bought mine.

Sarah :)

kate909
06-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I always found the best stuff on clearance at J.C. Penney. Sometimes not the most stylish stuff, but occasionally I would find something great there. I have a few tops that I never gave up post-pregnancy, I love them so much. (They never really looked like maternity wear.)

jjordan
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
If you have a maternity section in a nearby baby Gap store, check it out. I have found some great deals there (think pants for <$10). At that price, I don't mind if they don't fit through the whole pregnancy!

Jill

ThreeofUs
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Ah. Splurge a little on Japanese weekend from ebay, then! Have some fun with it.

JBaxter
06-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Check Kohls sale rack I got 2 pairs of jeans for $8 each and 2 pairs of capri's for 11 each. All had the elastic mid belly band. Check consignment shops too.

sunriseiz
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
For whatever reason, I am big at 6 weeks with #3...shirts are snug, can't wear pants with regular waist. However, I CAN wear all of my low-rise pants just fine. They hit right below my belly. You might consider this as an option for things you could also wear later. I never had any prior to my other 2 kiddos, but at least for the moment, they are working for me!

JenaW
06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I've gotten by with low-rise pants too, often in non-maternity just one (or two, SIGH) sizes up from my normal size. I figure I will get more use out of these postpartum until I lose all the weight again.

Also, another suggestion I haven't seen here that I rely heavily on is ebay. It really only works well if you know your size in that particular manufacturer (or can judge based on measurements), AND also helps if you buy multiple items from a single seller since shipping is so crazy now. I also email the seller (especially is she wore the stuff) and ask her how sizing compares, for instance if I wear a L in regular GAP, or a M-L in maternity GAP. If I give my weight most have been extremely helpful in letting me know whether or not they think it will fit. Probably over 80% of my maternity wardrobe comes from here, and I have had pretty good luck. I will admit, good bargains were a lot easier to find in my earlier pregnancies, but it still allows me to get some brand name stuff for MUCH cheaper than I would find in the stores. I would much rather pay $20 for an $80 pair of japanese weekend pants that have lasted through 4 pregnancies, than $20 for Motherhood stuff that IMO barely lasts through one.

Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy.

Jera

dsb22
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't know how you feel about low waists, but at least with my first pregnancy, I was able to go pretty much the entire time wearing low waisted pants, especially from Old Navy. Not even from the maternity section, just a size or two larger than my pre-pg size. More dressy slacks I got from Japanese Weekend. Fairly expensive, but very comfortable--I didn't have the problems of falling down or bunching up that I had with most maternity pants, and worked for a while after the birth as well.

(edited to add that for some reason I didn't see the last couple of messages before I posted, but I totally agree with them, obviously :) )