PDA

View Full Version : Fun thread: 3 things that surprise you about your children

kijip
06-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I was thinking this evening about the ways in which our children surprise us. These are three things I have found totally unexpected and surprizing about my son:

~His favorite music airs on the radio show American Routes. http://www.americanroutes.org/ It's currently the only music he dances around with glee to.

~He feels very strongly about what he likes to wear and what he does not. For example, he won't wear jeans willingly that are dark blue, they have to be a very light wash.

~He hates pizza, mac and cheese and chicken fingers, making kid's menus a tough sell to him. Along this line, he eats very, very little except at breakfast and lunch. Pretty much no dinner foods will pass his lips.

Wife_and_mommy
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Good idea for a thread.:) Here goes:

DD
-how outgoing she's become since last summer. It warms my heart that she's confident enough to venture out in new situations unlike her mama did as a child.

-How she can eat so little. I know it's normal and it doesn't concern me in the least. It's funny to watch her friends eat though. They *eat*!

-How rough she can be with her brother. We're going through some sibling issues at the moment. It surprises me even though it shouldn't. I remember how it was for me but they're so young.

DS
-How incredibly affectionate he is! He loves to give hugs and kisses to those he loves.

-How sensitive he is.

-How much he loves DH/me. DD does too but DS is super attached to us both and would rather be with us than anyone else.

What a great thread idea, K. Thanks for posting it.:)

eliasmom
06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Hmmm, this is a good one:

-how much empathy a 2 yr old can have

-how interested she is in fashion at such a young age. ("No Mommy. I wear yellow today!")

-how different her personality is now as compared to when she was a baby

ThreeofUs
06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
This is funny! DS surprises me with his insight and strong preferences, as:

~He is not (at 3.5) a "little" anything. His is a "big" person, boy, etc., and will gently but firmly correct any "little"s that reference him.

~He thinks about situations and people for a long time. So, we have months-long discussions of (say) whether our dog would prefer a dog as a vet rather than a human, and how much humans don't understand about animals. Or, what babies can do and can't do. We have these discussions serially - about 3 minutes per installment, a few times a week.

But I'm also wow'd by his athletic prowess, so here's one from that dimension:

~DS has been able to hit a softball out of the air (as in, not off a T) since he was 2. Now, at 3.5, he's a switch hitter who can bat almost anything out of the air and out of our fairly large back yard. Every single time I see this I am shocked.

lizajane
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
yay!

DS1:
- how muscular he is! what a tight body on such a small person
- how much he remembers and how he uses it so positively- yesterday, he asked my MIL how nana's back was feeling (DH's grandmother) because last FALL she had major back problems that required hospitilization
-how sweet and gentle he is with babies, even though he is a very active child

DS2:
- how sweet and silly he can be, even though he usually acts all "big boy tough." like when he giggles the cutest giggle EVER
- how low is voice is and how unique it is to others. i never think about it because i have always heard it!
- things he learns when i am not looking, like songs he brings home from school or animal facts his brother teaches him

karstmama
06-16-2008, 10:45 AM
*everything* surprises me about jameson! he's my only, and since he was so premature & spent 7 1/2 months in the hospital, everything he does is totally on his own schedule. i'm wowed and humbled and exhilerated every day.

i'm surprised he's starting to kneel and pull up. i'm surprised he's saying 'bye-bye' once in a while. i'm surprised at his big grin and chuckles and by what he thinks is funny.