PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a booster?

bnme
06-16-2008, 08:31 AM
I am just starting to shop for a booster for my older DS who has outgrown his Britax RA.

He is 5.5yo and 42inches, 40lbs

What kind of features should I be looking for? For comfort, safety, and instalation issues. I know I want a high-back and I would prefer to still be able to use a harness for awhile.

Many of DS's friends who are 5 or 6 are in backless boosters already so I have no one IRL to ask for advice. . Is that even legal?

Joolsplus2
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah, it's legal to be in some boosters from age 1 and 30 pounds (sickening, huh?), but harnessing as long as possible is obviously safest (you're so lucky your kiddo fit in the Roundabout so long! My huge 2 yo is about to hit the top slots, I love that seat, she makes me cry, lol).
I'd look at the Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus, both have about 18.5 inch top slots (Roundabout is 15.5, and my 8 yo just is AT the top slots of the Frontier), and they both become good boosters later, with good side impact protection (most important feature) for protecting the head. They can also be LATCHed into place (when used as a booster). if you have a car with LATCH, so they don't move around when he climbs in and you don't have to buckle them in place when he's not sitting in it.

bnme
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info! I didn't even think of the idea of having to belt in a seat if non-latch. I know I am lucky he has fit for so long. He has technically outgrown it I guess so that's whay I am looking to switch.

Are there an less-expensive seats (then the $150 for Graco Nautilus) that I can check out that also have the head protection? We have an 03 Ody and an 2000 Envoy if that makes a difference.

Joolsplus2
06-16-2008, 10:59 AM
If you're willing to look at just boosters, the Sunshine Kids Monterey, Recaro Vivo (or Vivo Lite), Britax Monarch all have good side impact protection. Cosco Apex is cheaper and harnessed, but is really quite flimsy and very difficult to buckle in booster mode (we used to recommend it a lot, but honestly the Nautilus is a hundred times nicer).

:)