PDA

View Full Version : limbs getting stuck in crib slats... breathable bumpers?

wolverine2
06-16-2008, 09:17 AM
DS is 6 months and like a helicopter in his crib, which often leads to sleeping perpendicular to the intended way, and a leg stuck outside the crib (which leads to me having to get up). I've never used bumpers for safety reasons... are the mesh breathable ones safe? They would help keep body parts in. TIA... this never happened with my first one!

kristenk
06-16-2008, 09:23 AM
I used one with DD for a while when she was very little for the same reason. I think the one we had came from Wal-Mart. I seem to remember not being happy with the recommended installation. I don't know if there were gaps or what, but I remember going through with big safety pins and pinning things (where DD coudn't reach them, of course) so that I was happy with the way the mesh stayed attached to the crib.

The added benefit for us was that the binky couldn't fall out of the crib!

emily_gracesmama
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
My second daughter would get her legs stuck out the front of her crib and I'd find her on her belly with her legs sticking out the front, very uncomfortable looking to say the least. I got the breathable bumper from BRU probably when she was 3 mths old and it has worked great and she's 10 mths now.

o_mom
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I would get the Crib Shield vs. the breathable bumpers. The Crib Shield goes over the entire side of the crib and cannot be used to climb out. Another option would be a Crib Tent II - it completely encases the inside of the crib in mesh.

lmwbasye
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
We used a breathable bumper for awhile and really liked it. DS would sleep with his face smooshed into the bumper and I wasn't worried in the least. He could breathe fine like that.

The only problem we had was recently. As he's moving more and more, he kept bumping his head on the side of the crib...like if he was scooting back, he'd hit it or if he sat up and then lost balance and fell over. I recently put the regular bumper back in for that reason, but he had stopped sleeping with his face in the bumper by then and we have the Angelcare monitor.

Anyway, long story short is that I would recommend it. It worked really well for keeping limbs in and was actually somewhat padded and nice. No problems with installation or anything.

HTH!

kristenk
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
I wanted to add that we had the crib shield instead of just the bumper. I'd definitel buy that again. I would have put that in my original post, but I couldn't think of the name. (Thanks, o_mom!)

wolverine2
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
The crib shield looks perfect... thanks, I didn't know such a thing existed!

pastrygirl
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I used the crib shield, too, and it worked great for keeping limbs inside! :)

SnuggleBuggles
06-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I didn't use bumpers for ds1 but needed them for ds2 since he was getting stuck repeatedly. We have been very :) with the mesh bumpers.

Beth