PDA

View Full Version : Field Trips??

doberbrat
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
So, dd is getting bumped out of the toddler room to preschool room at dc. Preschool goes on field trips on busses.

My first instinct was to say NO. And I’m likely to stay that way for at least the next year. Dh (and the school staff) think I’m a lunatic. But, when questioned by the school staff, I said, easy, who installs your car seats?? And they looked at me all confused.

So what’s everyone else doing about class field trips? Apparently, they take 1 a month. Not realistic that I can take a day off to stay home w/her or chaperone every trip.

She's going to be 3 in Oct and still rf ....

Joolsplus2
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Ugh, my stomach still churns at the memory of some of the vintage junk yard finds that people sent their kids to sit in on field trip day (I'm joking. Parents did send in their real seats. They were just "that bad").

What size buses? Do they have seatbelts at all? Who DOES install the seats? What kind of seatbelts? (not that you know this offhand, but It'll help you choose between a super easy to install harnessed seat like a Graco Cargo, or a super easy to use booster like a Compass).

lilycat88
06-17-2008, 12:02 AM
No idea what folks do. I count my blessings every day with regard to this issue. The bus that DD rides for field trips (2 field trips/month and to swimming lessons weekly starting at age 3) has seats with 5 point harnesses. The seats look like standard bus seats but a section from the back of the seat folds down and they sit on that and the harness comes out of that area. It's not the same as her being in her Marathon but after seeing the kids buckled in, I'm entirely comfortable with her being in it.

Joolsplus2
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
No idea what folks do. I count my blessings every day with regard to this issue. The bus that DD rides for field trips (2 field trips/month and to swimming lessons weekly starting at age 3) has seats with 5 point harnesses. The seats look like standard bus seats but a section from the back of the seat folds down and they sit on that and the harness comes out of that area. It's not the same as her being in her Marathon but after seeing the kids buckled in, I'm entirely comfortable with her being in it.
Those are fantastic! I've only ever seen them at the IMMI booth at Lifesavers, but I always wish they'd make a car version (well, they kind of do...the Safeguard Go). Probably even better than a Marathon in the bus since the head excursion will be SO much lower, and there's no real need for big side impact protection around the head since that's not a likely bus injury scenario and the harness holds the body in place, anyway.
:)